Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No audio from Bluetooth headset using PC Remote

VE7ATJ_Don
VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi guys.. sorry if this is a newbie problem, but I'm trying to use a Bluetooth headset connected to a Surface 3 via PC remote.  The headset connects to the Surface with no problem and plays/records audio to/from the headset just fine for all applications -- except SSDR.  There is no audio to the BT headset when SSDR is in PC remote, even tho SSDR 'says' it's outputting through the BT headset.  And of course, the mic doesn't work either.

Anyone else seen this?  Or got a BT headset to work via PC Remote?

Thanks

Don VE7ATJ

Comments

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Make sure you have selected your BT headset for sound in/out on your Surface settings. 73 de Arnie W8DU
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

Yup, did that.  As I say, the headset works perfectly for all other Surface PC audio input and output.  It's just SSDR which doesn't seem to like it, even tho it says it's using the headset and its associated mic.

/drt

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    BTworks great with iPad. Does SSDR work with earbuds on Surface
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Make sure it is the default sound device (not communication) too.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
      Bluetooth speaker works fine here with Surface Pro3 and SSDR set to remote.
    At first had to juggle default output audio  output device.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Martin Bérubé
    Martin Bérubé Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Have the same issue with SSDR on a Windows 10 Desktop.   the problem seems to point to the  SSDR application having issues dealing with bluetooth devices. 

I can make it work with repetivite on and off of the bt device but it seems totaly random.  Other applicatons send their sound on the bt device.   I have to start the PC Audio to the default speakers, then turn on the bt device.  I will have audio for about 20 sec then it stops.  Sometimes, I get a brief silelence and get the sound back. I know then it is ok to continue.  It will hold for hours.  However, I have to be lucky to get this behaviour.

btw it is a Logitech H800 headset.

Thanks,

Martin VA2PX
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Old thread, but same issue.

Windows 10, Plantronics Pro BT headset. Connection to SSDR is hit or miss when I turn on the headset. Very frustrating. Running SSDR 2.4.9 Can often get a BSOD with an error of "page fault in non paged area" portcls.sys.  I have removed the BT device and reinstalled, made sure the BT device is default on both receive and transmit (playback and record). Does not seem to be a pattern under which I can make sure the BT headset will connect.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I use BT with the iPad and wireless USB dongle with Windows - no problems here. Does Windows 10 have BT stability issues?
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I think SSDR and Win10 with bluetooth do not get along well together.  I've ordered a headset that uses a proprietary wireless w/dongle that may work better.  There is definitely an issue with 2.4.9 SSDR and bluetooth as has been reported before. The same BT headset I have issues with on SSDR works well with other Win10 programs while using BT, just not SSDR.
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'll be glad to help troubleshoot this if anyone has any ideas or if Flex Radio needs some detail to aid in a fix.
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I sent in a trouble ticket to Flex Radio and the (quick) response was that this is a Windows issue and they could offer no support. No fix, no suggestions.  Basically a non-response. Frustrating.

I doubt this is just a Windows issue and that SSDR has no part in it given my BT headset works well with everything but SSDR.  Symptoms of the problrm: BT headset connects to the computer and I get full system sounds, but SSDR, while recognizing the BT headset as the default audio device, often (not always) fails to send the audio to the BT headset. Also, (only with SSDR open) when opening the sound control panel (to check default audio settings) I can get a BSOD with a "page fault in non page area" portcls.sys error, also SSDR often locks up when I hit the SSDR PC audio button (when it changes status off or on). Restarting just the SSDR program has no effect on the audio connection, ever. I have to restart the computer, then SSDR, then turn on the BT headset, then try and get the headset audio to work. It works about a third of the time.  Once it works, it works until I turn off SSDR or the computer, then I have a hard time re-establishing the connection on next boot or start of SSDR. Sometimes the BT headset connects to SSDR and I get about three seconds of audio from SSDR, then nothing.

Running Windows 10 and SSDR remote over the house LAN.

Have uninstalled and re-installed the BT device, made sure that the BT device is the default audio device in Windows (playback and record). BT device is a Plantronics BackBeats noise cancelling bluetooth headset.

Anyone else having these problems so that the issue might get elevated within Flex Radio and we can get an actual resolution? Or, alternatively, anyone have a fix for this?  I cannot find a pattern that says if I do A, then B, then C, it will work.  It seems random on connection.
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Random problems here too. DELL XPS running Win 10.  Apple AirPods.  SmartSDR 2.4.9.   Sometimes will connect, but for less than a minute (usually after rebooting the PC), then no connection for the receive audio, but the transmit audio continues to work.  Works fine with YouTube and other apps even after it stops working with SmartSDR.  Trying to avoid mic cable into PC which picks up RF when running high power by using the Bluetooth, plus the convenience of wireless mic and headphones. Frustrating...

Edit:  sometimes, after the Bluetooth audio fails (which for me always fails, within a minute of starting SmartSDR), I cannot get audio to play over the built in speakers on the PC.  When that happens, a youtube video will play fine through the built in speakers  or the Bluetooth Air Pods.  When this happens, the only way to get SmartSDR to resume playing through the built in speakers is to reboot the PC.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    As I mentioned somewhere above, I use a Logitech H800 headset and use BT with Apple gear, and the included proprietary USB dongle for Windows devices. Solves the problem for me. I think the “Default” audio setting and BT must have issues on Windows because BT comes and goes by design :-(
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Since the Bluetooth AirPods work with the PC for other apps but do not for Smart SDR, and after using them SmartSDR wont even play over the built in speakers sometimes, it would seem this is a problem with SmartSDR in how it works with the built in Windows Bluetooth capabilities.  And I might add when it stops playing over the built in speakers, just exiting SmartSDR and re-opening it does not solve the problem.  Only re-booting the PC will make the internal speakers resume playing SmartSDR audio, even though other apps work fine.
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I can use a dongle based (non-bluetooth) headset, such as the Logitech G533 and everything works fine with Smart SDR 2.4.9. (Before you run out and get the G533 know it has low mic audio output and a pronounced mid-range response that will require software on your computer such as the Peace/APO equalizer to resolve).  Audio switching from one source to another is flawless. No computer issues at all. No lock ups, audio sounds great on the headset and into the mic (after equalization with Peace/APO). There is definitely a problem with how Smart SDR 2.4.9 works with bluetooth and that is the problem.  I have no other issues with my bluetooth headset (Plantronics) on other apps and Windows 10, only SmartSDR 2.4.9 has issues. Like others have said, when Smartsdr faults on bluetooth audio, which is the majority of the time, it takes a computer reboot to get the audio working again. I have had BSD, too.
    What is frustrating is Flex Radio saying it is solely a Windows problem and not their issue, when so many other app/program makers don't seem to have the same problem.
    Bluetooth audio does not work reliably with SmartSDR!  I would like to see a fix for it.
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thank you.  Glad to know it is not just me.  Hopefully sometime soon it can be fixed.
  • Darryl
    Darryl Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't think Flex Radio is even working on it.  When I reported it, along with the BSD error codes, they blew me off.  Literally said it was a Windows problem and not their issue.  That they seem to be one of the few (or only?) apps that have this "issue" I thought it was a rather "go pound sand" response to a known problem within the community.
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I bought a bluetooth dongle, and I got my EarPods to work.  

I installed the dongle, deleted the existing mouse and EarPods, turned off bluetooth,rebooted the computer (Win 10), turned bluetooth back on, added the mouse and Ear Pods, and it works.

I have no idea why or how.  I see no way in the bluetooth settings to tell the PC which bluetooth, built in or dongle, to use.  Perhaps the dongle takes over from the built in.  

It worked for over an hour and I made a few QSOs.  I got good audio reports from the EarPods.  I exited SmartSDR, ran it again, and it worked fine.  I walked away and the EarPods disconnected, and then when I got back in range of the PC they reconnected automatically.  When I was away, the SmartSDR audio played through the built in speakers in the Dell laptop.

Previously I had been using a pair of Apple ear buds (photo below) with a USB converter, the kind that come with an iPhone.  They worked very well on 100 watts, but on 1500 watts they picked up some RF.  I think this was RF from the antenna in the back yard, not RF getting back to my operating position, as I have no other symptoms.
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • Eric W1NEJ
    Eric W1NEJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
  • Mark Davis
    Mark Davis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

I had the same problem with my Bose QC35 II headphones. I only started working with this Windows 10 laptop LAN setup after my Flex-6600 came back today from FlexRadio, for a fan replacement.

I found that the Bose headphones are listed twice in the 'Sounds' control-panel 'Playback' tab... as Headset, and as Headphones.

When I connected the Bose bluetooth headphones, Windows 10 defaulted to the 'Headset' device, as both the 'Default Device' and the 'Default Communication Device'. I couldn't get any sound out of SSDR with this default setting.

I made 'Headphones' the 'Default Device', and left 'Headset' as the 'Default Communication Device'. SSDR is now playing audio consistently through the Bose Bluetooth headphones, as well as system sounds from the laptop. Tomorrow I'll check whether I'm getting TX audio from the mic built into the Bose headphones.

Mark - AD7EF
  • This is now 2022 ! I have the same problem with SSDR bluetooth headset. On my win 10 desktop. I even went to the trouble of purchasing a new bluetooth pci interface card. All my applications work fine just not SSDR. Here is what happens ! I can hear audio on the headset but when in turn on PC for my mic choice (SSDR) audio goes away and and i do see the mic activity on the level indicator. I can transmit and audio is heard but i have to switch from PC to MIC to hear the receiver. I have done all the suggested tests under windows , default etc.

Any new ideas would be helpful. Thanks in Advance. 73

• Jerry
    Jerry Member ✭✭
    This has been and still is a problem ( 10.15.2022 V3.2.39) for Smart SDR and Windows. It is not a Windows problem. It is SmartSDR and Flex has never addressed it over the years.

Smart SDR for IPAD does work fine with Bluetooth but it is not the same as Smart SDR for windows.

All my Bluetooth devices work fine with all windows apps except Smart SDR.

My ICOM 7610 with RS-BA1 Icom software works perfect with all my Bluetooth devices.

The freedom of not being tethered to a PC is high priority for me.

Yes there are work arounds with external USB BTadapters and such but we should not have to do that when all other apps work fine with Windows BT . Having to use an external USB BT adapter and/or switching devices on and off many times to get things to work is unacceptable for such a high end product such as Flex.

I personally will not invest in a Flex product again unless this issue is resolved.

Jerry
    W1JWC
  • keith hertzog
    keith hertzog Member ✭✭

Thanks for your reply. I still have the Bluetooth problem as you stated. I think the amateur community has been put on the back burner. I have been waiting on my maestro order for close to a year now. I don't blame them for govt. contracts. other companies seem to be able to solve the display issue. Cant believe the Bluetooth is such a big deal. There is probably a background software issue in SmartSDR that makes it a major problem for them. I was going to upgrade my 6400 but ill wait for a while since the main reason i purchased the 6400 was due to the maestro functionality. They have to want to fix it.

73 Thanks for jumping in. haven't heard anything from anyone else.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2022

I do not have BlueTooth on a test computer, however, I want to confirm the following.

If you make your Playback and Record device the default device for your BlueTooth, are you saying that you can't transmit Audio?

Please let me know.

Update - I was not able to get my QC35's to actually connect correctly to my Windows PC. It showed as paired but I was not able to select them as an audio device.

• keith hertzog
    keith hertzog Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike,

I have set the default device and I have audio ok on the PC with any application. When i select PC (for MIC) on SmartSdr then the audio goes away. I can see the MIC audio on the level indicator. I have to go into my devices and disable the default mic - and disable the same device that just became the default communication device. then re-enable the default device and leave the comm device disabled. It sometimes works. Sometimes if i disable the headset ( bluetooth ) then re-enable it might work. Or re-pair the headset and it might work. I cant seem to find a consistent solution. Once I get it enabled I receive perfect audio reports and all is good till the next time ! I have been trying to find a path that is consistent. No Luck

It seems to be the connection between DAX reserved audio and the Bluetooth Headset ( default device ). I always have audio on the DAX reserved audio RX1. It just doesn't link the the headset. ??? I hope this input is helpful.

Thanks 73 N3SVB

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I think a screenshot of your SmartSDR will help.

SmartSDR software doesn't care or even know if the audio device is Bluetooth. It just uses the default MIC stream.

If you see MIC audio on the Level (not DAX) audio, then the audio is making it to the actual radio. DAX is not used at all in the user MIC audio input. In fact, you don't even need to start DAX to use Mic/PC Audio.

Make sure TX DAX is off as well in SmartSDR.

Since you say it is intermittent, take a screen shot when it is working and then if it fails, grab another one and let's see if something is different.

Based on what you say, you are having Mic routing issues, but I don't think it is Bluetooth related.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Keith, try DAX RX without the word "Reserved" in it.

• keith hertzog
    keith hertzog Member ✭✭

Thanks I will give it a try. I agree on screen shots. I'm sure my explanation isn't good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.