Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Audio From 6400

Barry Young
Barry Young Member ✭✭
NewBe to Flex Radio...  Setting up Radio. I was hearing audio when I first setup the 6400, but now it has gone silent / like muted.   I have a CLRSpkr (Clear Speech) which is plugged in to Power Speaker. The volume was very low and audio not very clear when it was working.   In Windows 10 I have about 10 or more audio sources divided up into TX and RX, DAX etc..  How do you determine what to use for these sources?
Pretty confusing!
Thanks!

Answers

• Neal - K3NC
    Neal - K3NC Inactive Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Barry. do you have the PC Audio button highlighted in SmartSDR in its upper right window? This will route the audio to your speakers in your PC . If its not highlighted there are 2 ways to adjust speaker volume. The first is the overall speaker gain, which is a slider in the upper right of SmartSDR. The direction to the right increases the volume. The second is the volume for the slice itself. Look in the pennant of the slice where the speaker icon is. Click on it and you will see a dropdown that has the gain for the slice.

Why do you have two volume controls? If you have more than 1 slice, you can adjust the relative loudness of a single slice versus the other active slice via the pennant volume control. The slider in the upper right controls the total audio gain!
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    On more than a couple of occasions so far, rebooting the Flex was required to get audio working again.  
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Easy to do so check it you did not mute the speaker!
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for responding... I plugged in some PC headphones and enabled PC audio. I hear just some kind of a rumbling noice. It is not the standard frequency audio. Because the spectrum indicates there is some activity on this frequency. I am monitoring.
    It is almost like I am listening to the waterfall noise.

I am not hearing anything via the power speaker jack from the 6400. Where do you turn that on and off?

What about all of the Flex RX / TX Windows Audio sources???

It is probably something simple!

I hope! Once this is solved it is on to TX issues. :)
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try doing a hard reset, you may have something messed up a bit from default.
    Things that affect audio

DSP settings
    NB on and  set to high
    NR on and  set to High
    ANF on and set to high

In the Slice window with the Speaker Icon lite
    Speaker slider set to low
    Where the slider says "MED" by default the slider "AGCT" set to far to the LEFT

Main Screen on the EQUILIZER window
    with the "RX" and the "ON" buttons highlighted, the Equilizer settings may be all or most turned down to far.

These are most of the things that will effect RX audio and to check and this is why I would recommend just doing a hard reset of the radio.

Hope this helps 
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks. I made a backup before Instarted. I am going to restore the backup and start from scratch. Unless you can reset to factory defaults. I noticed you can save settings / profiles, maybe I will do that the first time I bring up the system. Thanks again...
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    To do a radio reset with it powered off and DC plug disconnected hold the Power button and plug in the Power cord.

Remember if your Backup Profile is bad and you restore it the radio will be bad too and you will have to start over. 
    Make sure it works BEFORE you load back the profiles.

The settings are stored in the radio NOT SmartSDR so removing SmartSDR and re-installing it does absolutely nothing to restore your Radio, you do the Radio reset above, the backup profiles are saved on the computer BUT  make sure your profile is GOOD before you restore it.

This is ALL in the Manual to see how to do these things and what does what.

Bret
    WX7Y

• Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    There is a great set of helpers here with PATIENCE of a Saint!  It is truly amazing.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree, good suggestions. I hope I can get it to work!
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you Bret! That worked!! I have spent so much time in manuals with issues not being resolved . That’s why fotrums like this are awesome. I think the Quick Start guide should have some common issues troubleshooting and FAQs. Unfortunately, they don’t include printed manuals in the shipment. But I will definitely download and probably print it, even though PDF versions are nice for searching. Even the help in the SDR, doesn’t have a reference to the Manuals, but they do to the forums. Now to the Transmit issues. I am able to tune but when I key the mic, no RF power or modulation. I am going to review the Manual for that issue, unless there is an obvious quick fix someone can suggest. Thanks again!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you contact me off the list I may be able to talk you through the issue to help with the frustration.
    my direct EMAIL is
    Bret.wx7y@gmail.com

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When I transmit after successful tuning, when I key the FHM 2 mic the power light turns Solid Bright Red, the manual indicates “Transmitting on PA”

Not sure what this means???

Thanks
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I am going to open this issue via a new post. Thanks
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Barry, the power light is solid green on receive and solid red on TX to indicate your transmitter is keyed.

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    Barry in SmartSDR go into Profiles and load the default FHM-2 mic profile.
    Then go into Settings/Radio Settings/Phone-CW tab. Make sure the bias is enabled and if needed for more level you can enable the +20 dB boost. I am thinking after the reset that the bias is not enabled for the mic.

When adjusting the mic level there is the bar graph and a single little line to the right of the bar graph which is the peak indicator. Adjust level on speech so the peak indicator just reaches the end.

Dave wo2x
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Make sure dexp is turned off and if your using the fhm2 mic the bias needs to be on. Check the box enabling you to see meter audio in recieve then you can touch meters and look at the meter and see your audio level from the mic as you speak without having to actually transmit.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I realize that.. But the manual indicates that the solid bright red light was Transmitting on PA?? What is PA? Thanks!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    Power amplifier. The section of your transmitter that amplifies your signal.

Dave wo2x

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    "“Transmitting on PA”,    "Not sure what this means???"

It means "Power Amp", Green when in RX Mode,  RED when in Transmit mode.

That's all no hidden meaning and I said last night this is normal.

Bret
    WX7Y

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Bret!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.