Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No audio from 6400 rear MIC port

Norman Washburn
Norman Washburn Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am running a 6400 with SSDR 3.1.8. I run an inexpensive mic called a BM-800. It requires a 48v phantom power supply between the XLR cable coming from the mic and another XLR cable with a TRS plug on the opposite end. I have the TRS plugged into the MIC port on the back of the radio. I have a separate PTT plugged into the back of the radio as well which does key up the radio.The problem is that I can not produce audio through the MIC. It has worked very successfully before when plugged in to my Maestro but will not work when plugged into the rear of the radio.

The AF Input source is set to MIC.
DAX is OFF
DEXP is OFF
BIAS is ON
+20 DB is ON
Level meter during receive is ENABLED
PTT is not inhibited in TX band settings

I have replaced the phantom power supply, replaced both XLR cables and even tried a second BM-800 mic with the same result. I have performed white button resets along with full power removals, etc. No joy.What am I missing guys?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Norm
K3HMA

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2020
    Hi Norman

You shouldn't need the BIAS on since you are supplying that from the Phantom power supply.  Other than that, it looks ok.  

MIC as an input source is correct.

BTW, DAX and DEXP will not affect how this works.  The BIAS and the 20db  boast can.  

Mike

• Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    OK, Michael thanks for the very fast response. Got to meet you at last year's Hamvention and was looking forward to attending again this year.

I have disabled the BIAS but still no audio input.
    Any other suggestions. I can try the Helpdesk but didn't want to waste their time if it was an oversight on my part. Any further ideas?

Thanks again.

Norm
  • Doug Evans
    Doug Evans Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I think you need to select BAL as the input on the p/cw panel in order to use the TRS input on the back of a 6400/6600 radio.
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The input on the back is a Balanced input... Change the mic input to BAL and you should have audio...

Cheers  Barry K6ZA
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Only pseudo balanced on the 6400
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I should have noted that I have a 6500, so while a different radio layout, the back should use the BAL input unless that has possibly changed as well... Worth a try.
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Under settings --- Multiplex.     Set for the client you are using.    This allows the physical mic and PTT connection to the Flex Server Radio to work with the selected client.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Ted Bryant
    Ted Bryant Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Norm,
    Check your radio's manual.  Make sure that the MIC jack on the back will accept a TRS plug with standard wiring. On my 6600M, the MIC jack on the back of the radio is expecting to see a TRS plug but the mic connections must be made to the TIP and RING.  This is non-standard.  I had to wire an adapter to do this on mine.
    73, Ted W4NZ
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Good suggestion but it was set to the correct SSDR session. Still no joy.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Norm, are you sure that the phantom power box does not terminate in a TRRS (4 connector) plug as opposed to a TRS (3 connector) plug?  The Flex expects the latter...
    Len, KD0RC
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Thank you Len. The cable coming out of the phantom power supply terminates in a TRS vs TRRS plug. It is my understanding that the Flex 6400 expects to see +voltage on the TIP, - on the RING and ground on the sleeve. Would I be correct in assuming that the Maestro expects the same, as the mic works when plugged into my Maestro? I can’t help but wonder if something is wrong with the MIC connector in the radio itself.
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Can you expand on the adapter you built? What XLR pins were mapped to what TRS points?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2020
    That might be the clue...  It looks like the Maestro is wired:
    Tip = mic +
    Ring = PTT
    Sleeve = Gnd

Take a look at the Maestro doc section 4.4.6 and 4.4.8.  You might need to use the RJ-45 Mic1 connector with a cable wired to a TRS jack to line up the connections correctly.

I am looking in the Maestro user guide for SmartSDR3.17 dated 9/16/2019.
  • Ted Bryant
    Ted Bryant Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Norm, Your 6400 may be different (check your manual) but, on my 6600M the wiring to the MIC connector on the back is via a 1/8 inch (3.5mm) TRS plug with the mic+ connected to the TIP and mic- connected to the RING. This is in paragraph 7.4.18 of the FLEX-6400M / FLEX-6600M USER GUIDE (9/16/2019) 
    I'm not using any XLR connectors.
    73, Ted W4NZ
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Ok Thank you. I am going to reach out to the Helpdesk next.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The connectors are wired differently between Maestro MIC2 and the psuedo balanced input at the rear of the 6400. I found this out too. You need to get out the soldering iron and make or modify some cables to sort this out. I assume the intention of wiring the maestro in this way is to make it more compatible with off the shelf standard PC headsets that use TRS 3.5mm connectors.

Also, with your setup, turn off the BIAS at the radio/Maestro. You've got an external 48V phantom supply providing the "BIAS" instead. As for the +20DB setting, you will need to figure that one out depending on how hot the audio level is from your condenser microphone.

Above all, let us know how you get on.......
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Guess my suggestion did not work, but no comment...? amazing
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Yes, thanks, I already did that per Michael Walker’s suggestion.
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Hi Barry, my lack of a response wasn’t meant as any type of slight. I work in a hospital and have been putting in some tremendous hours as you may imagine. Anyways, BAL is not an option on my radio. The 6400 is only pseudo balanced and the only option is MIC. Thanks for your suggestion though... Norm
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Norman,,the are directions in the manual on how to wire up. As well as discussion on this if you do a search. I believe you wire it like a balanced mic connection.
  • Ted Bryant
    Ted Bryant Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Norm,
    Instead of all this guessing, what does your manual show for the wiring of the MIC jack on the back of the radio? Start there.  If it is wired correctly then you can look at other things which may prevent transmit audio.
    73, Ted W4NZ
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    OK thanks, I will search. Norm
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    Tim, I missed the first part of your reply. I will research and modify the connector. Thanks, Norm
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    No problem Norm, I understand the difficult situation and I commend you for putting yourself at risk for the Community welfare !!!! Cheers and good health to you.
    Someone did mention "pseudo balanced" at the rear input, but how then do you choose a mic in the front vs  mic in the back, or are the ports now mutually exclusive ?? I would really like to know that... Again, take care, and best wishes.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Barry,

The 6400 has no front connections at all. The MIC input is on the rear and it differs from the 6600 which has a "real" balanced input. The differences are in the documentation.

Take Care, Tim
  • Norman Washburn
    edited March 2020
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. It ended up being that the Maestro takes an UNBALANCED XLR to 3.5 TRS plug and the 6400 radio requires a BALANCED XLR to 3.5 TRS plug. A few minutes with my soldering iron and an old XLR cable fixed the problem.

XLR 1  (Shield) --->   Sleeve
    XLR 2 --->   Tip +
    XLR 3 ---->   Ring -

Thanks everyone!

Norm
    K3HMA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.