Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No apparent output on rttty

Walt - KZ1F
Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
edited July 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I thought I'd ask here first.
Flex 6500
SSDR 1.5
Using HRD 6.2

Symptoms:
HRD shows transmit
Slice shows transmit
Red led on radio shows transmit
DAX Control Panel shows transmit
Windows sound applet shows transmit on the DAX Audio TX 1
SWR does show 1.1

However, neither the RF Power nor the PWR digital display in the linear showed any output.
Once I selected the RTTY default profile transmit level (above compression level) showed >0
Initially I used a reasonable rtty power level of 25. I then raised it to 100 hoping to see an indication of 100 watts being transmitted...nada.

Perhaps, not surprisingly, I don't get any responses either.

If I switch the mode from DIGU to RTTY the power level does deflect as one would expect. Doesn't that force it to LSB, per the user guide?

If I try tune that does show the expected deflection.
On SSB and CW it works fine.

Answers

• Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    One thing that can cause this that I have seen with other radios is if the radio is using specific tones like 1450Hz for the mark and a 170 Hz shift you MUST make sure the soundcard program is set to the same tones.  If not the radio will be trying to transmit but the soundcard (DAX in this case) is sending tones on a frequency that is not used by the digimode software so you will not get any output.

Greg
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Is the DAX button in the phone control panel clicked?  You have to set DAX as the audio input to the radio.  And is your transmit filter wide enough for the transmitted tones?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Also....when you do this.....you have to set the digimode software frequency markers to coincide with those tones and do NOT click on signals you see on the digimode software.  If you do then you are changing those tones expected by HRD or MMTTY or whatever.  Only click on the signals you see on the SSDR display.  When you do, then the signal should line up correctly in your digimode software.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I haven't touched anything related to tones.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes it is. Sorry, I meant to add that to the description. I was trying to update as either you or Greg were typing. After going to RTTY mode and switching back to DIGU. now it dsplays but I have no idea what I changed beyond what I described.
    So this is a puzzlement to me.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    By digimode software you mean dm-780 (in this case)?
    I thought the way it worked was, and this is not a ssdr issue I didn't think, was in dm-780 you either click on one of the lines in the horizontal waterfalls that brings you to the qso tab. Everything showed correct, including mic level but no power out. Once I saw it worked with rtty mode and I switched back to not showing. But, as I said, now it seems fine. Again, don't know what I did.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Yes...in this case it is DM780.  If you are using a specific set of RTTY tones as apparently the new SSDR can do now then the software MUST be set to those same tones.  If you click on a signal in DM780 that is not set to the tones SSDR is sending there will be no output.  Lets say you click on a mark frequency in DM780 that is at 1000 Hz.  When you TX DM780 will be sending at 1000/1170 Hz for the Mark and Space but the radio is set to 1450+170 or 2125+170....or whatever.

Now...that said....I am not that familiar with changes in DM780.  When you click on a signal in DM780 does it change the frequency displayed in SSDR? 

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not to my knowledge Greg. So, unlike SSDR with a vertical waterfall, dm780 has a horizontal waterfall with n number of discrete either conversations or available space shown. In the case of conversations it lists the text. If you click on one it switches to a conversation tab between you and the other station. That tab does show baud, shift, bits and stopbits. I've never had the need nor urge to touch any of that.

But, you know what's weird? Before, the slice transmit display showed, for lack of a better term, a saw-tooth display across the entire width of the slice. Kind of scary as I hoped it didn't walk iin everyone in that slice bandspread. But now the wave form is closer to what it shows on cw or ssb. Very weird...To my recollection it always had the sawtooth. I figured that change was new. I don't do rtty (or psk) that much.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Look at it this way...if you click a signal on DM780 say at 1000 Hz +170 for the space then DM780 is telling the DAX channel to send at that frequency.
    Now if SSDRs new RTTY implementation is set for SPECIFIC tones, Such as 2125 + 170 then that is what the radio is listening for from the DAX channel.  If DAX is sending at 1000 Hz then the radio is not going to produce any output because it is not getting anything at 2125 Hz from DAX.

To do this, You have to tell DM780 to only tx/rx at the same tone that the radio is set to.  Then you do ALL your tuning from SSDR.  If you click on a signal in SSDR then it is set for 2125 Hz (presumably) and if DM780 is set correctly to listen at the same 2125 then it should decode and transmit fine.

Again....this is all speculation on experience....I don't have DM780 (don't even have a radio right now ).  :)

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you use the setup I described in my tutorial you can click the mark tone
    either in DM780 or SmartSDR and it will be spot on and the "center"
    button will work.

Walt, DM780 has a vertical waterfall in the QSO mode and a horizontal
    one in SuperSweeper mode. You can use either.

Don't forget to set DM780 to "reverse" mode for RTTY in SmartSDR,
    to "normal" in PowerSDR.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Don't forget to set DM780 to "reverse" mode for RTTY in SmartSDR,

Is this the same for FLDigi .. I forgot to ask about that ... I needed Rev .. ?!

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Simon, if you use the new xml files, fldigi works with RTTY mode
    without having to set it in reverse.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    ahh these on fldigi site??

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Hey that's cool!

thanks Alex !

it drives mode and ptt from fldigi too

nice :)

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That's so weird Alex. It used to work just fine and I don't recall ever consciously setting a reverse mode or being particularly conscious of where I clicked, aside from on the text of the station in supersweeper. I'll track down your tutorial when I return from the gym.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Simon - And the filters are selectable too from Fldigi.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The Sam precise thing occurs with psk. This is so baffling. The radio sees the signal as it shows good audio level and shows the modulated waveform in the panadapter. Anyway it's not a rtty issue.
  • Scott - WM7C
    Scott - WM7C Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I had a similar problem when I used the fldigi configuration file for slice B and I was using slice A.  I hope that's it.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great suggestion. You're right the dax channel does have to be specified in several places. Nope, I was strictly on channel 1, slice a.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.