Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NM9P's idea: dockable, programmable buttons for functions

W9XC
W9XC Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
In his post about the ARRL DX/SSB contest, NM9P suggested:
"A dockable panel of programmable buttons that I can define for my most-used functions so that they are only a single-click away. (RX ant, TX ant, Swap Slice, Toggle active slice, FAV bands, filter selection, etc.)"
I think this is actually a pretty radical idea -- one of those unforeseen new modalities possible with an SDR like the Flex.  It means, in effect, that the 6000s would have a very simple-to-construct, user-definable / software-defined interface. Other radios (e.g., Elecrafts) have a pair of programmable function buttons, which are very useful. But Ken's idea goes much farther - program *all* of one's frequent functionality into an interface panel (or panels?) of one's own design. If the panel included other modalities besides buttons, (sliders, "radio buttons", who knows) it could be amazing. Make the rig look and feel like you want it to, to an extent. The beautiful 6000 hardware is just a back-end server on a shelf somewhere at the end of a cable. SSDR is 'just' a toolkit, a UI/functionality server to the panel(s).  One would be operating 95% of the time from one's own panel, from an interface optimized to one's own needs and functional patterns.

(In a sense the 6000s already do have "a user-definable / software-defined user interface" if one wants to program an app to the ethernet/API spec as K6TU has done and others are doing. But Ken's idea is a lightweight user-centric approach.)

If SmartSDR is as modular as we all hope it is, this "shouldn't be all that hard to do" (programmers' lament  :).

- Les, W9XC

2 votes

· Last Updated

2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Thanks for running with my idea and fleshing it out a bit more.  I have been really busy this week and have not been able to port out several Ideas from my "Praise" post as individual "Ideas" so others can vote on them.  I hope to do the same on several other ideas but Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent have kept this pastor busy! hi hi.  (Not to mention my wife and 6 year-old son!)  Feel free to do the same with any of my other ideas you like...

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Les,

thank you for return to that, i bring this subject couple month ago, but in any way, dockable GUI will unload PAN screen. First of all many of us use 2 displays, and wonna to have more suitable grafic surface, second: some menu items i guess we would like to have visible without additional "clicks", 3rd: PAN width can be used more efficiently in perspective with PanaFall, this is IMHO but i think a part of replies on topic.

• W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited March 2014
    Sergey, to quote K5UA, "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes."

Especially on your #2. This might ease Flex's design burden as well: they don't have to figure out the absolute 'right' things to put at top levels vs buried - users can do that on their own in the panel.

- Les, W9XC
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Seems:  "users can do that on their own in the panel" is a key of the WIN GUI ideology

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.