Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

nickriale@icloud.com

N3NER
N3NER Member ✭✭
I'm wondering why the 6700 at the price point it is at the power level output for 2m is not on par with all the other radios that offer 2m?  At over $7,000 the output should be no less than 50 watts (47 dm).  Can someone explain why Flex decided to release it this way?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    You can buy an Icom 7850 for 12,000 dollars and not have 2 meters. For those radios that do provide 2 meters at a higher power level, they don't begin to compare to the features of the 7000. I am glad I am not in the ham radio manufacturing business. I am not sure I could stand the constant complaining and whining.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    W2NER,, you just discovered that now?
    A lot of folks will chime in here on their thoughts,, but maybe someone at Flex will explain this.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes, I believe by his very wording the only relevant answer will be from FRS itself. All others would be, best case, speculation, worst case, outage for daring to ask FRS why they made the decision they made.
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Am I missing something or when did the 6700 start transmitting on 2 meters without a transverter?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes the 6700 will,transmit on 2M and receive as well without a transverter.

Best guess for not including a more powerful 2M amp is to keep the price down as a 100W amp adds likely $400 to the selling price. Personally never used the 2M feature as I own lots of rice boxes so I am glad it hey did not waste my money. BTW. How about questioning GM or Ford why they don't have a battery car as fast as my Tesla.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Great solution. Now you got me interested in 2M again.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard and Reg are both correct, I believe.. Adding equipment for high power output and all the switching and software necessary to support it would have placed much more engineering and financial stress on the 6700.

I think the original concept may have been to support microwave transverters with a simple low power 144 MHz output. Then some enterprising hams built on that idea, adding high gain amp designs.

The same options exist for those interested in the new extreme low frequency bands.....use the transverter output connected to a LF amp and antenna....

If we ask, "why didn't they add 2 meters?" We could also ask "Why not 432 MHz? Other rigs have that band as well."

If FRS wanted to sell their top rig for $11,000, I suppose they could add all those functions. Or they could skimp on other features.
    BTW, the Kenwood TS990 doesn't have 2 Meters, either. And it was several thousand Dollars more than the 6700 when it was first introduced. They have since dropped the price.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I believe people are conflating multiple issues here. Yes certainly the 6700 is a fine rig with it with a very limited two meter capability so yes you can add stuff to it and as you talk about Ken, increasing the price to $11,000 yet many people on here even admitting that they bought it because they could it almost doesn't matter what it had for features they bought it because they could at the end of the day two meters is line of sight whether you pump it with 15 milliwatt or 1,000 Watts it's not going to make it to the horizon unless in one of those rare sporadic E circumstances. So it's how much money do you want to throw at it when it's only open 3 or so times a year. To each their own.
  • Dale Neace
    Dale Neace Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    You should listen more as 2 meters opens a lot more than 3 or so times a year E skip is rare but u get more troposphere propagation than E skip
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Dale, I was on 2m quite a lot in the 80s and 90's I had an 11 ele 2mtr yagi at 20mters agl.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We had numerous requests for a 144 MHz IF for driving u-wave transverters, so we added this as a feature to the 6700 as a product differentiator.  Making it a 100W 2M radio would have significantly increased the price because it would require a 2nd PA deck.  And as Reg commented, there are several companion amp products to make the 6700 a high wattage 2M radio that is more cost effective.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.