Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Next version of SmartSDR, install question

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When the next version of SmartSDR is available, will it require a removal of 1.0.24? Or will it install over the existing install of 1.0.24? And, will it also do the same for the latest SmartCat? just curious as I may need more HD room. pse es tu de w9ol

Answers

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I always remove the previous version of everything and reboot even if though it is not required. It makes for a cleaner installation. Also, If your hard drive is getting full and you have had it a long time, then it may not hurt to update it anyway. The last thing you want is your old drive to crash.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I dont have the space concern but it seems like a good idea to at least keep the previous version for a while in case you have a problem installing the new one. And to keep it for a while longer in case you find a bug in the new version after operating for a while. It would less trouble to have them than to have to locate and download older versions. (my .02 cents) Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I do keep the old install files. They are easy to find.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the replies, I have a new drive on order. But my question was....will this new update, when it arrives, REQUIRE a removal of the old version and SmartCat version as 1.0.24 did. I'm pretty sure the instructions did say that prior to the install of 1.0.24 you had to REMOVE the older version. Or is my old 2 CVA brain getting even more confused?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Robert, Same here on keeping the old install files. Also I haven't bothered clearing out any of the program folders or uninstalled the older versions but that is something one could do to make space. Bill, It's possible the next release may, or may not, include an update to SmartCAT. If it does have a SmartCat update, then the process is to un-install the old one, and there is a reboot required. FRS hasn't made any announcement about what is included in the next release yet. (although there are probably a few folks that know if a new version in included) SmartSDR doesn't need an un-install or reboot (although I have added a reboot to my process as it seems to work better). Probably have to wait a few weeks for all of the update details and instructions. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I uninstall the program but keep the install files I had downloaded from Flex. But even if I didn't, they are easy to find and download again, unless you have internet access problems....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.