Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie tutorial ?

Bob K4RLC
Bob K4RLC Member
edited August 2017 in New Ideas

Having been working with my Flex 6500 for a few weeks, so I have many more questions than answers. Seems like there should be a Newbie tutorial link that would provide many answers that I have or that others have posted on here (and not gotten replies to).

Seems RF is a problem for lots and wonder if this is part of the radio (didn't have RF with same set up with PROIII & FT-1000MP).

Would like to know more about the spectrum scope and waterfall....and other features for those of us who are not electrical or computer engineers...I'm just a neuropsychologist so I try to read EEG signals in the spectrum scope, but can't find them yet.

Recommended mics and spkrs would be helpful...the handheld supplied mic is pretty poor...but my Heil Goldline doesn't work as well with the Flex as the ProIII

If there is such a link or document, I would sincerely appreciate the link...as I've spent lots of time reading previous posts and watching YouTube videos...but have many more questions than answers. Of course, life is a learning curve and that's what keeps me going.

Tnx in advance,

Bob K4RLC

Comments

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Can you expand on the RF problem and how the Heil Goldline doesn't work as well?

You have probably already discovered this link on the panadapter. With there being many options and ways to use the features do you have some more specific questions to help focus a starting point. Since you have a Pro III you are familiar with the benefit of the waterfall of seeing activity on the band and with SmartSDR you are able to click the mouse to move right to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_nkQtNHEI
  • JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Bob,

You might also put out a request for a Flex 6K user in your area that can assist you directly. The give and take is a great advantage and likely you will find a new friend in radio.

Of course, I'm certainly willing to travel but so far my longest engagement to assist another Flexer has been about 50 miles round trip. :-)

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another option if a reasonably local user isn't possible would be a virtual meeting with one using Teamviewer or similar.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bob,
    Sent email to you. You're welcome to come over.
    Doug K4DSP

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015

Doug,

Thank you for raising the Flex flag of assistance.

Jon W1JDB

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Also, FlexRadioSystems did a good job on the user guide, it is not a techie guide so no need to feel intimidated.

http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr/

Walt - kz1f

• Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016

Thanks guys.

Didn't realize Doug had the Flex and he is local. Doug has invited me over to his shack for a visit.

Some of the problems may be endemic to my shack configuration....have grounded more and used more toroids than ever...ordered the West Mountain shielded spkrs, as I've bought their digital interfaces before, and like their equipment.

The Flex is a phenomenal radio, hands down. Similar to the "radio" I use to read human electrical signals from the brain...19 channels, very low amplitude, very low frequency band (0.5 to 40 Hz) with information riding on each signal. I'll post a quick Youtube on this. This digital filter and hardware is built by a bio-med engineer whose Dad was a ham...so grew up around electronics.

Tnx agn for the nice replies and help,

Bob K4RLC

• N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited August 2017

Congratulations, Bob, on the new Flex.  I just opened up mine and put in on the air yesterday.  I immediately thought I had a hardware problem because the speakers did not mute when I plugged the headphones into the front jack.  As it turns out, the speakers are muted on a switch at the upper right hand corner of the SmartSDR screen.  This switch was not mentioned  in the documentation until Page 125!

I suggest you do what I did and just  flip through the SmartSDR User Guide and look for the things that should be in the first ten pages of the user guide.  I did that and a lot of  agony and indigestion was relieved.  The documentation is excellent but I think some reordering would be a huge improvement to new users.

This is my second Flex (the first was a 5K) and the 6500 is a spectacularly performing radio!  I hope you love yours, too!

73, Frank N1UW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.