Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie question , Looks like I QRM second slice ?

Ed N5DG
Ed N5DG Member
I have slice A on 50,098 CW and slice B on 50.313 FT8 . When I tune or use the paddle on Slice A , I see spikes or interference on slice B . I wanted to ask before using the amp.

Tnx Ed

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ed
    Probably normal operation.
    Slice B RX is seeing Slice A transmitting.
    What frequency was the received frequency at?

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited May 2019
    Hello Jay , I was transceive on 50.098 sending CQ's , looking at slice B while transmitting CW on A , I see spikes as if I'm overloading the Slice B receiver that in on 50.313 ! This is with 50 watts , would I damage the receiver by using a KW ?

Ed 
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited July 2018
    Sending a screenshot ,, most likely nothing to worry about 
    Edimage
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Ed

The Slice B RX slice should be disconnected from the antenna input when it's connected to Slice A as it transmits. I do this quite regularly. 

If your using 2 antennas on 2 slices, maybe. There is a worksheet at  ...

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-fdx-power-calculation-worksheet-pdf/

That should be used to figure that out, if that's the case.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    What radio are you using ? If its 6300/6400/6500 then there should be no problems. If its a 6600/6700 and you have each slice connecter to a separate antenna, then you need to be aware of the coupling between the antennas..  The 6600/6700 should try to self protest but …

AL, K0VM
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi Al , I'm using a flex 6600 , I have one antenna  connected to antenna port 1 only , I have 3 slices open , all on 50 Mhz ... A= 50.098 CW , B= 50.313 wsjt and C= 50.323  .... When I transmit in slice A CW, I see QRM in the other two 50 Mhz slices ... Look at the waterfall above . I only used slice A and B in the photo . Since I'm new to Flex Radio , I need to know if I can damage the radio with this setup? I only used 60 watts for testing . I would hate to use a KW and damage the receiver . I would think I'm okay with this setup but it look nasty with only 60 watts 
    Tnx Ed
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ed, you described a 6600 using 3 slices on 1 antenna.
    When that antenna is moved to Slice 1 TX power amplifier, slices 2 and 3 have their antenna removed and are picking up internal signals.  On that rig with 2 SCUs, as a test, put slice 2 and 3 on a transverter port with a very short wire stub or dummy load.  That will display real signals.
    Your setup is the safest for front end protection BUT don't expect normal RX when any of them are transmitting.
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited June 2020
    Stan thanks , I'm not looking to receive on the other 2 slices B or C while transmitting on A .. I'm simply not wanting to damage the front end . Thanks for letting me know  I have the safest setup for front end protection . I will now use my Amplifier if needed.
    Ed 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If you only have one antenna connected, you are likely only using one SCU and it is isolating the other two slices when you Transmit. If you were overloading the other slices, then the auto overload protection would be kicking in and you would be getting a notification of the overload protection.
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited July 2018
    Ken thanks , That's good to know . SDR is smart 
    Ed
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I guess that's why Flex named the software Smart SDR
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    ED,
      See section 32.4 of the flex users guide for' SCU overload fundamentals'
    AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.