Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie question FLEX6500 (How many antennas at the same time?)

Gastonet
Gastonet Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi all, First of all sorry if this question is very **** or if it was answered before, but I didin't found something like this.
The question is quite simple. Let's suppose I'm using 2 slices (no matter if they are or aren't on the same band). Can I assign one antenna to each slice?

Thanks in advance.

Gaston (LU5AGQ)

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You cannot dedicate an antenna to one slice and a different antenna to another slice. There is only one receiver in the 6300 and 6500. You can set one antenna for TX and another for RX.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    TX yes RX no.

You have one SCU Spectral Capture Unit, so you can only connect one receive antenna to that SCU. You can however, have 4 panadapters or 4 VFOs on different bands on that same antenna.
    Multiband antennas on a single coax like a hexbeam or a logperiodic are great antennas to use in this manner.

Other people use a multiband RX antenna, which you could connect to the RXA port, and then use a speccific TX antenna per band.
  • Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks to both. I thought the idea of having only one SCU will confine it to only one antenna, but as Salvador said, I remember someday transmiting on one antenna and receiving on RXA port, that's why my confusion.

Again, many thanks and 73.

Gaston LU5AGQ
  • Phil - N6ERP
    Phil - N6ERP Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm glad you asked the question because I was about to ask a similar one.. Maybe one thread can elaborate on both of our inquiries.

Can anyone comment on the advantages and disadvantages of using "Ant2" vs "RXA" for a dedicated receive antenna?

I see in the manual it shows that RXA is basically a direct input to the receiver. Does that mean ANT2 has something in its path that would affect the input signal before it reaches the receiver?

I'm thinking that obviously ANT2 is being switched for TX/RX. Does that mean that while in TX mode, ANT2 is disconnected from the receiver and RXA is still connected to the receiver during TX?

I'm using RXA for my phased beverages via a phasing box connected to RXA. I seem to get more "transmit feedback" on the waterfall using RXA vs ANT2. But I don't use the ANT2 input because I don't want to accidentally TX on ANT2 and fry the phasing box.

Just curious what the ramifications are between the two inputs..  Thanks..
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    See page 40 ( antenna considerations) of the hardware reference manual for switching diagram.

AL, K0VM
  • GEORGE JACOB
    GEORGE JACOB Member
    edited August 2016
    Gaston.

Name here is George and  the call is N6VNI

I am using three antennas.M2 KT34XA 4 element beam, a rotatable dipole, and a G5RV. I am using a Diamond three position switch. You just have to be careful when changing bands, that you change the antenna if need.
    Good question. I have had my 6500 now for about five weeks now, love it and learning. Have had my ticket now for 29 years.
    PAST PRESIDENT OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA DX CLUB.

de

George Jacob N6VNI
  • Phil - N6ERP
    Phil - N6ERP Member
    edited October 2016
    Perfect! Thank you..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.