Newbie - Getting my 6700 - Do I need a dedicated PC Soundcard?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Newbie - Getting my 6700 - Do I need a dedicated PC Soundcard?  I have a US Interface Navigator that was used with my ICOM xcvr.  Moving up to the 6700, will a fast HP laptop with an Intel i5 M520 2.40GHz, 8Gig RAM and IDT High Definition audio be enough for digital modes?
Is there any advantage to keeping my Navigator and figuring out how to connect it to the 6700?

Jerry NY2KW
Photo of Jerry Stern

Jerry Stern

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 757 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
No sound card is needed.  You will need to setup CAT control and DAX.  After that, you applications will talk to the CAT ports and the DAX channels are for audio.

Your laptop will be more than adequate for running SmartSDR, your logging program, Digital program and surfing the net.  Room to spare.  SmartSDR does not normally require a fast video card.  I removed my gaming video card and run 2 monitors directly from the i7.  No problems at all.

Have fun and ask for help if you need it....
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
No.  Once using a 6700 with DAX audio , no need for that Navigator.  I had a Microham device for my Kenwood TS2000 but sold both after having a Flex for a few months
Andy K3UK
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 860 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Jerry, you do not need sound card for digi mode at all but for audio remote playback if you like. Functionality of the sound card realized in the DAX application, just follow with appropriate chapter of SSDR UM and no doubts you will get success with digi mods very fast
Photo of Dave KD5FX

Dave KD5FX

• 88 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You need to read the manuals before it arrives! Will save you lots of time and trouble....
http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/
73, Dave KD5FX
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 777 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
You will need a set of powered speakers, and/or headset.
Photo of Jerry Stern

Jerry Stern

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you too all for the very fast replies.  Already reading manuals !