Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie - Getting my 6700 - Do I need a dedicated PC Soundcard?

Jerry Stern
Jerry Stern Member
edited April 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Newbie - Getting my 6700 - Do I need a dedicated PC Soundcard?  I have a US Interface Navigator that was used with my ICOM xcvr.  Moving up to the 6700, will a fast HP laptop with an Intel i5 M520 2.40GHz, 8Gig RAM and IDT High Definition audio be enough for digital modes?
Is there any advantage to keeping my Navigator and figuring out how to connect it to the 6700?

Jerry NY2KW

Answers

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    No sound card is needed.  You will need to setup CAT control and DAX.  After that, you applications will talk to the CAT ports and the DAX channels are for audio.

Your laptop will be more than adequate for running SmartSDR, your logging program, Digital program and surfing the net.  Room to spare.  SmartSDR does not normally require a fast video card.  I removed my gaming video card and run 2 monitors directly from the i7.  No problems at all.

Have fun and ask for help if you need it....
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    No.  Once using a 6700 with DAX audio , no need for that Navigator.  I had a Microham device for my Kenwood TS2000 but sold both after having a Flex for a few months
    Andy K3UK
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Jerry, you do not need sound card for digi mode at all but for audio remote playback if you like. Functionality of the sound card realized in the DAX application, just follow with appropriate chapter of SSDR UM and no doubts you will get success with digi mods very fast
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You need to read the manuals before it arrives! Will save you lots of time and trouble....
    http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/
    73, Dave KD5FX
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You will need a set of powered speakers, and/or headset.
  • Jerry Stern
    Jerry Stern Member
    edited March 2017
    Thank you too all for the very fast replies.  Already reading manuals !

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.