New Version 1.2.17 Corrupted?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
I have downloaded SMARTSDR 1.2.17 twice, and both times when I tried to run it I received the report that it is "corrupted." I've never had this problem before in running all updates since obtaining my 6700 the week it was released in the initial group still considered in beta testing over a year ago.
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
  • confused.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I'm downloading ... will let u know
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Yes, I get the same "corrupted"  notice.  the file size appears to be 50% less when downloaded , maybe not getting the whole files.
Andy K3UK
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Clark

Tom Clark

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
My first download came up corrupted. I show 16.7 MB as the received file size on the bad download.

The 2nd download came in as at 18.7 MB and also shows to be corrupted. Can someone post the size of a good download.

73, Tom K3IO
Photo of Takeshi Yamada

Takeshi Yamada

• 173 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Mine looks like;

Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 280 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I downloaded it and all appears well downloaded and installed as expected. Seems stable and performs at least as good. I haven't had alot of time but I'll get to that this weekend. I am sure it is an improvement

Flex 6500 win 7 64

Mike. N9DFD
(Edited)
Photo of Takeshi Yamada

Takeshi Yamada

• 173 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I downloaded it at 0330Z and I could install it without any problem on my Win8.1 laptop.
I'll check how it works when I get back to home.

Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Worked fine for me.
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
I just downloaded it and installed without any issues at all....
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
worked right out of the box for me
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I've downlloaded it for the third time. The file shows 29.976 MB size and again reports "corrupted" when run. Time to go to bed and let this problem I and some others are having for the first time be worked out.
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 621 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Downloaded v1,2,17 and worked fine for me too.

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 787 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Third try to download and still shows a bad file, first download was 46Mb second was 38mb and 3rd was 19mb
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
I'm seeing this. Flex, please issue a checksum number
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
At 12:10am cst....Just to make sure I just downloaded it again from https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr_v1_2_17_available_for_download...... using Excede internet using Firefox web browser and never had any issues... Installed on my laptop just fine... no corruption

(Edited)
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1668 Posts
  • 613 Reply Likes
All good here - Windows 8.1 under Parallels on a Mac Pro. Made sure to uninstall everything, reboot, and do a clean install. Thanks for the unexpected improvements, Flex!
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Download a third time, this time good! 
Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Know I'm a bit late in this thread, but all ok here downloaded and installed.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Downloaded and ok here.  Here are the file size properties of the installer.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
We are not entirely certain what is happening here, but the SmartSDR installer source file is not corrupted.  The corruption is happening in the download process. I can't determine if this abnormal file close is due to your ISP or our hosting provider, our error logs do not show any file transfer anomalies.

All I can suggest is to do as others have and wait a few minutes and try the download again.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thanks, Tim. You have confirmed my suspicions. I am in Austin and using Time Warner Cable and their new 300 mbps Ultimate service that became available during June. I suggest that others experiencing this also report their internet provider details. There may be some relation. Thanks for all the excellent support from Flex and from the Community. -- Jim, W5HFS
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3763 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
Downloaded onto 2 different computers using Time Warner 50Mb/s Service.

First computer. 38.9 MB - corrupted file

second Computer 44MB. - File OK

Something seems to have interrupted the download.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 601 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Just downloaded and installed with no problems here.

Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I have now download for the 4th time. The download took only something like 15 or 30 seconds and resulted in the 44 MB file, finally. My three earlier downloads each took several minutes and resulted in small, corrupted files. I ran the file successfully, my FlexRadio 6700 updated; I started it, and it came up on 20 meters as expected. BUT there were no signals on all of 20. I started a second pan, and as it came up the first pan began to show signals. I closed out the program. I reopened and experienced the same result: the first pan was dead until I started the second. I noted the second pan started apparently with as narrow a band pass as possible; that is, the entire screen was only a few kHz. I spread it out for a wider look, and things seemed normal. I've now opened and closed the program a few times and it is coming up properly. I shut down the program, pushed the power button off, and when shut down, turned off the power supply. I restored power, pushed the button, ran the program and operation appears normal.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
It is always a "best practice" to cold boot the radio after an upgrade (power down and remove power momentarily).  This ensures all of the internal processors reset.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 799 Posts
  • 144 Reply Likes
No problem here.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Jim 1 question, how do you dl the file? Via a browser other than IE?
I've found other programs that have difficulty downloading in other browsers such as FireFox.
I always switch back to IE only for downloads.
Photo of Jim Bryce W5HFS

Jim Bryce W5HFS

• 158 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I used Chrome. I almost always use Chrome, but I think I tried IE last night and had the same problem. I've never had a problem downloading with Chrome. I've found IE is less reliable, slower, and clunky to use. It appears to me the problem lies with the ISP, possibly with routing to or from the ISP. I'm using TW, and as I recall one of the other persons reporting trouble was using TW.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3763 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
I had the issue with TW on one computer using Firefox but the second download onto a different computer using Firefox had no issues...

Program was installed correctly... suspect the issue was ISP to TW
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Seems to be some sort of 302 Temporarily Moved issue that is causing this.   I have tried to download with curl and wget after having the same issues. 

curl and wget both refuse to download the file - I have also tried chrome and IE with no joy!

D:\curl>curl -v -O http://www.flexradio.com/download/smartsdr-win/installers/SmartSDR_v1.2.17_Installer.exe
* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0*   Trying 66.147.244.83...
* Connected to www.flexradio.com (66.147.244.83) port 80 (#0)
> GET /download/smartsdr-win/installers/SmartSDR_v1.2.17_Installer.exe HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.37.0
> Host: www.flexradio.com
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
< Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:01:54 GMT
* Server Apache is not blacklisted
< Server: Apache
< Location: http://www.flexradio.com/files/smartsdr_v1-2-17_installer-exe/
< Vary: Accept-Encoding
< Content-Length: 0
< Content-Type: text/html
<
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
* Connection #0 to host www.flexradio.com left intact
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Tried Chrome, no joy.  IE, no joy.  Safari worked!
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 90 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
For some odd reason, Safari (aka, that "dead browser" ;) ) works when all others falter. Had the same thing when downloading upgrades from Chrysler. I am keeping Safari around, if just for that.
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 542 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes

MD5 (SmartSDR_v1.2.17_Installer.exe) = c7ab32a688ea785bb407b5c88c74c418

If you still can't download it from this ISP,  I put it on my server stack.   This will not be hosted permanently.

http://www.k6ozy.us/stuff/SmartSDR_v1.2.17_Installer.exe

This will rule out if it is their ISP, which I am not expecting is an issue.   This is the same file I used to install successfully on my 6700 & 6300 radios.

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
The issue of corrupted downloads should be resolved now.  We identified that a CPU resource contention issue with our web server was to blame for for the aborted HTTP downloads which resulted in partial file downloads.  Yesterday (yes, on a holiday) we put together an action plan to resolve this issue and very early this morning we migrated the FlexRadio web site to a new server that has much greater CPU resources available to it.  When you visit the web site now you should notice that it is more responsive and should download files a little quicker than before making for an improved user experience.  We apologize for the inconvenience this issue cause and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we resolved it.  Thanks.
Photo of Tom Clark

Tom Clark

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Tim -- I'm convinced that the problem was that the Flex server was overloaded with too many download requests. I kept getting files in the 15-20 GB size range and all of them reported corrupt because they were incomplete. I was also seeing downlink rates ~300 Mb/sec on my 50+ Gb/s fiber connection.

By Thursday AM I got the 44+ GB file first try and it worked fine. The download speed was running ~1 Mb/s. 

73, Tom K3IO
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
It was not a bandwidth issue.  it was a CPU resource contention issue where the HTTP sessions were being dropped.
Photo of Ed - NZ1Q

Ed - NZ1Q

• 76 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim - and team. You guys are great!  And on a holiday non the less.