Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Xfinity modem not working with SmartLink - Help!

James Eastham
James Eastham Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Yesterday I tried to set up the new Xfinity wifi modem/router - Arris TG 1682G .   I can no longer get into my 6700 using SmartLink with my SmartSDR iOS software via the WAN.   SmartSDR iOS is still working fine within the LAN however   I tried to setup the port forwarding as suggested on the SmartLink Setup screen but no joy!    All had been fine with the previous Xfinity Modem an Arris TG 862G, which others on the forum used successfully.   Tried setting up the port forwarding through the modem portal on my computer but no luck.   Tried going through Xfinity web portal to externally set up the port forwarding but still getting the red light on SmartLink.    One option is to send the new modem back to Xfinity and stick with the old one but I am hoping that wouldn't be necessary.  Has anyone been successful with the TG 1682G?   Any advice appreciated.  Thanks
Jim NX3Z

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member
    edited December 2017
    When i changed routers and had issues, I got the following from Flex Tech Support. It worked for me. As in the setup one rule for the UDP port 4993, Starting port 4993, ending 4993, being sent to 192.168.1.136 Protocol - UDP Second rule for the TCP port 4994 , Starting port 4994, ending port 4994, being sent to 192.168.1.136, Protocol - TCP Then you should have a Static IP for your radio MAC address , 192.168.1.136 If you set this in the router, when ever the radio comes up , it will be assigned this address, you should not have to actually put that address in the static address of the radio.. Once you enter this, power the radio down , remove the DC , reboot the router, and power up the radio once the router has completely booted up .. Then open SmartSDR -> SmartLink setup -> Link Test at the bottom .. be sure to click "Save" The IP address is the one my router assigned to the radio. Yours will be different. KJ4AUQ
  • James Eastham Jr
    James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried everything suggested with no success.  uPnP, static ip for radio, TCP and UDP ports forwarded.   I have a help ticket into Flex so we'll see what they suggest.
    NX3Z
  • James Eastham
    James Eastham Member
    edited January 2018
    Well I’m still stumped, I’ve tried every possible combination including Flex tech support suggestions. UPnP or, manual port forwarding, made sure port forward was turned off when trying UPnP, forwarded 21040 and 22000 then tried 4993 and 4994 , no joy ....Ive seen postings with all these setup suggestions. Only one modem so no double NATs Always get a red test button result. Is it possible that this new Arris TG 1682 G just won’t work? Has anyone used this specific modem with success? As I said my previous modem from COMCAST Arris TG 862 G worked but it was much slower than this new one. The ONLY change I made is the modem. All port forward are the same, my Smart Ether VPN setup with SmartEther manual port forward works fine on this new modem. Smartlink works fine through the VPN. The only thing that won’t work is the Smartlink through the WAN . I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it is the answer here!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have the Arris TG862G which seems to be a different model.  I have mine in "bridge mode" which turns it mainly into a modem and use my IQ router to do all the important work.

No issues here.
  • James Eastham
    James Eastham Member
    edited January 2018
    My TG862G worked fine with Smartlink and WAN access.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Get rid of the Xfinity modem/router and get your own equipment. Less trouble, more flexibility and won't cost you $ every month. For your average home user their stuff is fine but when you do more than just surf the web it's better to be in control of your own network.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    What modem do you recommend for use with Xfinity? I just moved and they are the main players in this neighborhood. I have an ASUS router but am thinking of buying my own cable modem to put in front of it.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have an earlier model and no issues.  Recommended by the techs who came by my house once and Xfinity tech support. "It's the Cadillac unit.'  I use it with an iQRouter.
    73, Bob

ARRIS Surfboard (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Plus AC1600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, 686 Mbps Max Speed, Certified for Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox & More (SBG10)
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I use a Netgear CM700 which is approved for exfinity and other networks. In my case it is. Spectrum. Recently found cable delivery problem which which I used the logging on the CM700 to aid in trouble shooting. Tech found a bad connector on the poll end of cable. Log stays clean for many days now. This modem is Docsis 3.0 but newer modems have Docsis 3.1.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Funny you should mention the bad connector.  That's exactly what the tech found when I had them out.  He redid all of the connectors noting that the last tech had left too much pigtail sticking out and hadn't looped the coax enough so that water would drip off.  
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    just checked my comcast router/modem, i have same setup, just upgraded mine a couple months ago, my works like a champ, no special setup or anything, 
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had the same modem/router when i subscribed to ATT. Very difficult to program Port Forwarding.
    As far as I was concerned it was a piece of junk. I returned to Cox and used my own router and have been a happy camper since then. 
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited June 2019
    Sorry Ken, late to the question. I would get the ARRIS Surfboard SB6183. No frills, just works. I don’t recommend the all in one stuff. Think of it like a shack in the box. Does good at everything, not great at any one. Plus if you have to replace the modem, it’s just the modem. If it’s the router, it’s just the router. This is $69.99 on Amazon.
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    edited June 2019
    Also to note, Comcast/Xfinity has their modem/router combo setup so it provides public WiFi. That’s how they get away with having whatever number hotspots all around the US. I don’t know about you, but don’t want my internet shared.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.