Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Video Uploaded - Switcher Power Supplies and RFI

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in New Ideas
I just uploaded a Video to Youtube, This one is Switcher Power Supplies and RFI. Using a Flex Radio with DogPark Software, I made tests of an Alinco DM-330MV Power supply and looked at it on my Flex 6300.  on Amateur radio bands and elsewhere. 

With so many people claiming that Switching Power supplies will  interfere with your amateur Radio operations period, the results might be a bit surprising. 

The link is https://youtu.be/R8p5WUAriBo

People can also check out my video on interfacing SmartSDR and fldigi for digital operations on my channel.

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Michael

Nice video.

Sometimes "Old Wives Tales" are just that.
    Once she's gone, might as well move on. 
    Amateurs are a little like elephants, they never forget.
    Maybe they ought to!

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    When I try to watch the video I get a warning it is not private?

"Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from youtu.be (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID"

Cliff VK2NP

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have owned 3 DM-330MV supplies going back over 10 years.  All 3 are still in service.  I have never had any noise from any of them. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nicely done. Thanks for doing this test.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Michael,
    Nicely done.  I am using a Jetstream switcher on my Flex 6500 with similar results.  Thanks for sharing.

John
    W9KXQ
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Better check your settings. I'm battened down pretty hard, with Sophos, Noscript and have AdBlock Pro and CookieKiller and have Better Privacy installed to root out the other places the bad guys try to hide cookies, and I don't get any such messages.  Tested  on FireFox OS X and Windows, Safari for OS X, Edge in Windows 10, FreFox in both Ubuntu Mate for Intel, and on Raspberry Pi 3. 

It is a public channel, otherwise no one else would see it, but should be as safe as any other Youtube channel.

If you find out the issue, I would be excepetionally interested in knowing what exactly it is.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think this might be a controversy on the RFI list. I did the video in part because there were some gurus stating that a Switching Power Supply interferes with AMateur radio period, and with a Flex radio, we would see that right off. 

Alinco and I think JetStream make these, power supplies, and I've been delighted with them. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    As expected, the experts on the that list don't like my video at all. One fellow managed to have a scathing reaction with all manner of points brought up, and he didn't even watch half of it. (those points were brough up in the portion he didn't bother to watch. 

Sometimes stuff like that lets me know I'm on the right track. 8^)
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Michael,

Also using Sophos, and Adblock and OpenDNS which may be the reason on OSX.

Cliff
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had lots of problems with the MFJ 4225, I didn't notice it until I got a Flex, then saw these birdies on many bands, especially on 20 mtrs. I finally hooked the radio to a 12v battery and switched the MFJ on and off. The birdies were gone when the MFJ was off! Sold it and got an Astron linear supply ASAP!!!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

@Michael

Well Done!

HOWEVER you were using one of the much better quality switchers that had a tunable noise control.

MOST Switchers are much cheaper and poorer quality (MFJ?) and do in fact generate a heck of a lot of unwanted RFI

So categorically saying Switchers are OK is plainly wrong.. Stating as you correctly stated that one you tested is good is the correct observation but one cannot generalize this to all Switchers

Unfortunately most hams are cheap ..so they end up with cheap noisy switchers and then complain that their radios hear too much noise..

Hence I still recommend using a linear power supply or battery just to avoid these issues...

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thnks Howard. My club has one of the MFJ's. I should do a test on it. And some wall Warts are horrifying. I have a HP Printer/scanner  that looks custom designed to wipe out 40 meters and below. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.