Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New User Question

NS2R -PHIL
NS2R -PHIL Member
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Flex-6600, but after reading  through the manual, it seems that if I'm using a WI/FI  internet connection to the shack's computer, and I connect the radio to the ethernet connector on the PC, the Flex will not be connected to the internet. Is that the case?. If so, how can I get the Flex connected to the internet? Thanks for any help! 73..Phli NS2R

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No that is not the cace. We simply connect the radio to a router that has WiFi. Or to a computer connected to that same router. If you connect to a computer connecting with only WiFi then the WiFi needs to be solid.
  • NS2R -PHIL
    NS2R -PHIL Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Bill, My WI/FI is real fast(110Mbit), I just wasn't sure that the internet would talk to the Flex via the ethernet card in the PC, because it originated through the WI/FI, 73...Phil
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You just (famous last words :-) need to turn on Internet sharing in the PC, and the Flex will go through the PC. You WILL need to look after DHCP or set up a static IP address on the Flex, OR let the PC take care of that with a local address - I believe that will work in those situations, but I really never do that because I am against doing it that way (I do not use Windows PCs if I can avoid it).
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You just need to define a bridge connection between your wifi network and the pc ethernet jack:
    https://www.howto-connect.com/setup-bridge-connections-on-windows-10/
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    In my case, I use a Lan hub or switch and my computer and radio are both connected to that. The switch is connected to the router. Nothing to confugure, it just works.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    To kind of tag along on this question. I have my 6600M connected to my router via cat5.  I also have a connection from the router to the PC.  I was trying to use this configuration on HF for digital.  Could not get it to work right.  That another question for another time.  I do notice when I power the 6600M up that it connects then the screen goes blank again and I get a message that it's connecting to something.  Is there 2 connections taking place? 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The "M" models do indeed make two connections. The radio itself has an IP address, and the front panel does as well. So, the radio connects to your network, the radio connects to the front panel, and the front panel connects to your network. Ted VE3TRQ
  • Dante - KM6VMR
    Dante - KM6VMR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020

Another option is to use a wifi extender which I am currently using, a Netgear AC750, as I am unable to run a cat5e cable directly to my radio.  The AC750 has one Ethernet port for a hardwired configuration, and then uses your existing wifi to connect to your router at either 2.4 GHz or 5GHz.band.

About the only issue with this is setup is setting the wps trust between the router and extender took a while to sync on 5ghz, otherwise I do not need the computer to bridge the network to my 6600M, as it can run independently to the network.

I wish the 6600Ms would have a built in wifi just like the Maestro...
  • NS2R -PHIL
    NS2R -PHIL Member
    edited December 2018
    TNX Dante, just got off the phone with Matt from Flex. What you are doing is exactly his suggestion. I just realized that my Netgear extender(AC1200) has an Ethernet port  on it. I need about 15ft of cat5e cable to reach the Ethernet port on my PC, then I can use an ethernet switch to connect both the PC and Flex to the internet. I suggested trying to bridge ethernet port to WI/FI, but he said in his experience, it only has 20% chance of working with Windows 10. I'm not sure at this point, of going 6600 or 6600M. Thanks for all the feedback I got from all nice guys on this forum! It was really helpful..73Phil NS2R
  • Dante - KM6VMR
    Dante - KM6VMR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Phil,

Matt from flex is correct.  The reason I used the extender is I had a hard time bridging my wireless card and my Ethernet port on my PC.  Every time I tried to do it, I am loosing my internet connectivity with windows 10, not sure what's root cause, so I ended up with the extender.

I would had preferred hardwired, but unable to run cat5e cable neatly.  The wireless extender, for the most part works.

With regard to the "M" or non "M", my initial preference was the "M", I guess call me old fashion, but its just me, I had to have "knobs"...lol.  And much besides, I work with computers & networks all day at work.

Good luck on your decision, by the way I started with the 6400M, was really a great radio, but after I did a deep dive analysis "paralysis", I ended up with the 6600M...wow l have never paid this much for a radio, but may pay off when I get a chance to try SO2R, will probably be the last radio I'll ever buy...lol

73's,
    Dante

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.