Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New UHD Monitor

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I just replaced three (one 27 inch, one 32 inch, one 28 inch) HD (2048 X 1080) monitors with one 48 inch (Vizio model E48u-DO) UHD (4096 X 2160) monitor and I am very happy with the results.

The pros have far outweighed the cons so far.

Pros       1   Everything is now shown on the one screen.

2.  Following the mouse on one screen is much easier.

3.  I can now see the entire Control Panel (including the Equalizer Panel) without

Having to move the panels around.

4.  Reduced amount of cables and adapters required.

5.  Not having to turn 3 monitors on and off.

Cons.     1.  The monitor takes up a lot of desk space (approximately   43 inches wide X 27 inches high).

But actually less space than the three combined monitors.

2.  The expense of a “Big” new monitor. However the three smaller monitors cost about

the same as the 48 inch one.

3.  I need a “Smart Phone” to do any major adjustments to the monitor and I am not very

proficient with my phone.

The attached file is a screen shot of the monitor with SSDR plus 4 other active programs.

Al,   N4AB

I forgot to add the file on the first post, sorry. Al.

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That is just Awesome!!!
    I am debating between the 48 and the 50. Do you feel the 50 would have been "too much" or after using the 48 you think the 50 inch would also be a valid option?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I have two three 23-inch and two 27-inch monitors going.  I am seriously considering going to a big monitor like this.  It certainly would be a big advantage to get rid of all the cabling, power cords, and adapters needed to make this work.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I bought a 40-something inch monitor (at work) and wound up giving it to a colleague. I found it too big, monolithic, and imposing. In its place I have three 28" monitors, which I find easier to arrange and manage on my desk. I kinda like a wrap-around sort of monitor arrangement. I raise this just as a point for potential users to consider. Peter K1PGV
  • W3PH
    W3PH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have a 27" monitor and recently added a mounting arm (https://goo.gl/MV5yqg) so it floats over the table.  The base on a monitor takes up a surprising amount of space - this guy clamps to the back of the table (your desk/table has to be suitable for the clamp to work) and there's room under the monitor for my keyer and a few other doodads that I previously had to put off to the side.
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

One advantage to two separate small monitors is you can adjust the brightness and contrast separately on each. In my case, SSDR is too dark when on the same monitor with other programs, but on it's own monitor I can crank up brightness and contrast so it's just right. Just something to keep in mind.

73, Bill W6WRT

• N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think a 50 inch screen would be OK, but so far I have had more than enough space on the 48 inch.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Some monitors and tvs have an energy saving mode that will constantly adjust brightness. If you have a website open with a white background it will automatically dim your screen. I always turn OFF that feature as I like to set a brightness value that I like. I have no trouble with SmartSDR sharing the screen with other programs.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    +1
    A must for smaller monitors, up to 24 inches. And affordable in these sizes. For bigger and heavier monitors you need to get more robust arms which tend to be pricey. 

(EDIT: this post is meant to be a plus 1 to Paul's comment about the mounting arms and clearing space of the desk)
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    48 would be like 4x21 inch monitor, more or less. There is a thread in this forum with tons of info on selecting a 4k as a computer monitor. Not all 4k tvs are created equal. This link is also a great place to do your research http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Funnily enough, I upgraded the monitor in my shack just this last weekend.  Nothing as fancy as that forty-eight inch monster!

I now have two Samsung SE510C 27" curved monitors mounted on a single stand.  It fits nicely into the corner of my home office which doubles as my shack.  I can really recommend them and the curve does make them easier to use side-by-side!

It is amazing how much easier it is not having to keep switching between windows!

That now makes five displays in my office / shack - the two for amateur radio, my work 24" one attached to a Dell Laptop and finally there are my 27" iMac and my 27" Mac thunderbolt display (attached to a MacBook Pro)!  

David G4NRT
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Al. I am leaning more towards a 50inch....

My rule of thumb with monitors and TVs has always been go as big as budget and location allow. I have never regretted going bigger. I remember my first 21 CRT viewsonic. I thought I had the biggest computer monitor ever!! LOL. Now I have here 2x24s and runing out of screen real state all the time. Yesterday Amazon Prime Day had the 50 inch Samsung 6600 4k for $635 in the US. Inventory was depleted in a couple of hours.

With the current prices of 4k TVs you have access to a resolution that used to be very expensive. If you manage to get one that has the HDMI 2.0 so you get the better refresh rate and chroma sampling then you are set. www.rtings.com is a great website to get more info. They have a section dedicated to TVs as PC Monitors.

I am even intrigue about the curved ones that at a closer distance make sense in the radioshack. 
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New UHD monitor. I just replaced three (one 27 inch, one 32 inch, one 28 inch) HD (2048 X 1080) monitors with one 48 inch (Vizio model E48u-DO) UHD (4096 X 2160) monitor and I am very happy with the results.

The pros have far outweighed the cons so far.

Pros       1   Everything is now shown on the one screen.

2.  Following the mouse on one screen is much easier.

3.  I can now see the entire Control Panel (including the Equalizer Panel) without

Having to move the panels around.

4.  Reduced amount of cables and adapters required.

5.  Not having to turn 3 monitors on and off.

Cons.     1.  The monitor takes up a lot of desk space (approximately   43 inches wide X 27 inches high).

But actually less space than the three combined monitors.

2.  The expense of a “Big” new monitor. However the three smaller monitors cost about

the same as the 48 inch one.

3.  I need a “Smart Phone” to do any major adjustments to the monitor and I am not very

proficient with my phone.

The attached file is a screen shot of the monitor with SSDR plus 4 other active programs.

Al,  N4AB

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not all 4K monitors work well as Monitors.  You must make sure they use what's called Chroma 4:4:4 subsampling.   Please see my prior post on these details.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/using-a-uhd-tv-as-a-computer-monitor

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Peter..what kind of graphics card are u using to support the (3) 4K monitors? Do u use HDMI 2.0 or Display Port?  Lots of good info about monitors but I could use some help on the type of graphics cards folks are using and what specs are required in the card to support 4K displays (either large single or like ur 3 - 28" displays)
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    I couldn't find a 40" monitor. Peter's colleague is lucky.

I started with a single 27" HD 16:9 (Dell P2715Q) then added a second. Then just last week I added a 34" HD 21:9 (Asus X34) monitor to the mix. I originally ran all three at max resolution, 3440x1440 but because of the differences in ratio I run the two 27" monitors at 2560x1440. Dragging windows across all three keep the same window and text size very nicely.

When I ran the 27" monitors at max resolution I had to set the scaling to 150% so I could read. With the current settings, everything is scaled to 100%.

The video card I use with my Dell 8900 is the NVIDIA GTX 960. It claims to support 4 monitors with a maximum resolution of 5120x3200 (each I guess). The display connectors include Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2. I'm using the 3 DP connectors. The X34 provides audio using the DP connector that's good enough for my needs.

I've not noticed any increase in noise on the Flex 6500 but that doesn't mean much really. Too many variables involved.

Not a very good picture. Had to actually use panorama mode to get all the screens in. It doesn't look like it but the ASUS is curved and I have the two 27" at an angle.

I think a single 40" would be nicer.

Kev, K4VD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.