new TURF file for 630m in USA?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
is FRS gonna unlock my rig to TX on 630m when i get legal in 30 days?

"inquiring minds need to know"

74, w5xz, dan
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
The power amp will not cover the new bands. There are no bandpass filters installed for that low a frequency. But you can build or by an appropriate amp for the frequencies and drive it with the Transverter port on your rig. No TURF file needed.
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
i know there is no LPF, but that can be MY responsibility...the broadband transformers in the final may not be very efficient at the lower freq's, though...but, i bet there's more rf there than the transverter port, ken
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 778 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
When will the new bands become available? 
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1055 Posts
  • 1080 Reply Likes
Official Response
In order to use any band without the power amplifier, you need to use the XVTR output port on the radio.  If you set the radio to transmit on the XVTR port, you will find that it will transmit anywhere.  No TURF needed.
Photo of Michael Baker

Michael Baker

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So Steve, how much power can you get out of the transverter port?

Mike K7DD
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
At full output on 10 Meters, mine is about +15 dBm or about 30 milliWatts.
Believe it or not, I have had contacts with locals a couple miles away at that power level when connected to my regular antennas.  S9 to a station about a mile away!

I saw another post from Steve that said it may be a bit lower ... about +10 or 11 at 630 Meters.  That is still a little over 10 milliWatts output.  Certainly usable for driving a high gain amp.