New to flex

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi all,I'm new to sdr my new flex 6500 comes on Tuesday,I was wondering if it's best to set up as per the instructions with one internet connection from radio to my laptop with supplied cable or would I be better having two connections I.e. One from my router to radio and one from my router to laptop,hope this makes sense to someone,I have the flex control k6tu and I was thinking of also getting the ipad app to use my iPad Air,hope this makes sense to someone and any help would be great.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 308 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 513 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
Official Response
Either way will work perfectly. I recommend plugging it into your router. That way you can use your laptop while mobile.
Photo of Ray Andrews, K9DUR

Ray Andrews, K9DUR, Elmer

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes

Tony,

I concur with Mack.  If you go through your router, then the radio is on the LAN & can be accessed by any computer also on the LAN, such as your iPad.  If you go direct from the radio to your computer, then only that computer will have access to the radio.

73, Ray, K9DUR

Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
A 6500 directly connected to your computer is less likely to be penetrated by foreign hackers who could use your station to transmit number groups for espionage purposes.
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 384 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
No there's an idea!
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Mine is through a router and does fine.

My concern is the laptop. I have read reports there have been issues but not always so let us know

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
A further question about going through a router.
My comcast cable box only has a few ports.
Consequently I had to add a 'switch' to handle all the devices in this home.
I made sure the Flex was connected to the port on the Comcast cable box.
I'm thinking mechanically not electronically, would there be any difference in throughput between the cable modem connection and the Linksys 16 port switch?

and

Is there such a thing as an even faster cable box than the Comcast supplied device?
can anyone recommend a bigger compatible switch? (I'm out of ports)

pse et tu de w9ol
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
In a residential setting pretty much any gigabit switch will be fine. If you need more ports you could get something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704065&cm_re=24_port_switch-_-33-704-06...

You can certainly buy more expensive networking hardware. Managed switches, greater switching capacity will cost much more but they probably won't work any better than a simple gigabit switch.

I would plug the Flex and the computer you use to access it into the same gigabit switch and probably not the little switch in the router.

Practically speaking there isn't really a faster cable modem. If the router you have is one of the ones either supplied by Comcast or on their supported list, it will run at their maximum network speed.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
My 6300 sets on my desk along with the computer. I have no need of remote operation and don't want to crawl under the house to run another ethernet cable to the router so I bought a $10 Ethernet card for the PC and plugged the 6300 directly into the PC. My PC is still hard wired back to the router. 
Does it work better? Yes....I had tried a direct router connection and noticed occasional pauses on the display although the rig continued to function. Therefore I think a direct PC connection is superior compared to going through the LAN. It only makes sense and why would I want to deliberately degrade performance if I don't need to?
Furthermore I have seen several post here about people having trouble with switches and they ended up running the Flex directly to their router and bypassing the switch.
Steve N4LQ 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
While I am not particularly worried about aliens or zombies taking over my 6700, I do operate it mostly remotely from various countries around the world as I am permanently on vacation

My 6700 is connected to a CISCO 8 Port. Gigabit Managed Switch which was recommended to me by Flex Staff because it would disable the Green POWER functions which sometimes cause ur radio to disconnect. The switch is connected via CAT 6 to my WiFI router Gigabit Port

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...

I have seen far more problems posted on this community as a result of using non routable IP addresses due to direct connect than have been with using a router or a switch. So I completely disagree with Steve above.

Further my performance is superb using. The router and switch.

In the USA you are legally allowed to buy your own cable modem router. Some of which are many times faster than the ones your cable company will rent you. The payback for owning vs renting us about 9 months so it is really more cost effective to buy your own

Here is the Gigabit Cable Modem that I am using.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0....

While I am not particularly worried about aliens or zombies taking over my 6700, I do operate it mostly remotely from various countries around the world as I am permanently on vacation

My 6700 is connected to a CISCO 8 Port. Gigabit Managed Switch which was recommended to me by Flex Staff because it would disable the Green POWER functions which sometimes cause ur radio to disconnect. The switch is connected via CAT 6 to my WiFI router Gigabit Port

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...

I have seen far more problems posted on this community as a result of using non routable IP addresses due to direct connect than have been with using a router or a switch. So I completely disagree with Steve above.

Further my performance is superb using. The router and switch.

In the USA you are legally allowed to buy your own cable modem router. Some of which are many times faster than the ones your cable company will rent you. The payback for owning vs renting us about 9 months so it is really more cost effective to buy your own

Here is the Gigabit Cable Modem that I am using.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0....
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
omg....I've been completely disagreed with twice! 
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 121 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
There are two threads on this subject but I will reiterate what I stated on the other thread. Try direct connect and get radio and computer all working as you think it should and get familiar with radio etc. Then hook up radio and computer through LAN by one or more of the methods described depending on your acceptable level of pain ;>}. If you then have issues you will know where to start to resolve. Have fun!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.