New to flex

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi all,I'm new to sdr my new flex 6500 comes on Tuesday,I was wondering if it's best to set up as per the instructions with one internet connection from radio to my laptop with supplied cable or would I be better having two connections I.e. One from my router to radio and one from my router to laptop,hope this makes sense to someone,I have the flex control k6tu and I was thinking of also getting the ipad app to use my iPad Air,hope this makes sense to someone and any help would be great.
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 309 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 684 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Tony,

As long as your router has gigabit port on it I don't think it will matter. Having the connection through your router will also provide your laptop with an internet connection.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 309 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
The router has 4 ports on it but I don't know if they are gigabit ports as you say
Photo of Phill Beistel

Phill Beistel

• 31 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Hi,

I had mine connected to a 100meg switch and it worked fine. Your router will probably to 100meg unless its really old.

Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 309 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
It's about 2 years old supplied by orange network or ee as it's called now
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Definitely use the router. If it seems slow, call Orange and have them update it to a gigabit router

You will need the wifi connection from the router to run the K6TU App which by the way is an excellent adjunct to my radio.
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 122 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I guess I'm just cautious but I would start with direct connection until I got a little familiar with the radio. This eliminates the network as a possible issue if you have any difficulties. You also get a sense of network performance when you then move to network. As previously stated, either should be ok.
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 472 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes

Assumption:  You have the router mentioned AND a separate router with LAN and a WAN port (for internet modem).  Note the latter will also be your DNS server (Assigns addresses to your equipment - Especially the Flex radio

Options, in order of simplicity
A) Wire computer and Flex SEPARATELY into your internet router. 
Advantage: Only one router 
Disadvantage:  All traffic between computer and flex loads down your prime network.  All traffic on your existing network (someone streaming a video etc) adds delay between flex and computer.  Also a long RF pickup.  Also no lightning protection between shack and rest of house

B) Separate router for Flex and computer
Advantage: Keeps all traffic in the shack away from the rest of the network (except internet traffic) and better RF rejection provided no shielded cable (use CATx UTP not STP) is used.

C) Separate router for Flex and computer with a Fiber connection (needs a fiber to UTP converter on the other end) to the rest of your network.
Advantage:  All of B) plus no RF pickup plus full lightning separation between shack and rest of the network.
Disadvantage:  More cost for the insurance protecting your rig from a lightning strike on the internet feed cable or vice versa.

Note:  Any setup - Your router must have access to your internet server BEFORE the Flex comes up as it will need to contact your DNS for an IP address.  i.e. Don't power up your router and Flex at the same time as the Flex will be ready before your router (Flex uses its internal address and computer uses the DNS assigned address - Different sub-nets = no connection between Flex and computer).

73, Stan Williams - VA7NF

p.s. Welcome to the great world of Flex.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.