Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New SmartSDR v1.4 LAN REMOTE Preview Video

Comments

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited November 2016
    "put the ship out of weight & balance" I know my old Boat Anchors would :)
    Have fun -- I'll be at Hamcation this weekend... 
    Dan --- KC4GO
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Nice kitchen
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Rich
    I would comment on your post if forum were in the UK and I know it would be found amusing - us British are well known for our toilet humour. I am mindful that it is hosted in a country where the name of a female dog and the 4 letter synonym for the underworld are commonly bleeped out. I'll have to keep my dirty mind to myself for risk a ban/censure.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Translation is always a problem. Here in Texas we have to supply those who have unfortunately been exposed to the environment pervading College Station with a conversion chart from MHz to Mc.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    edited November 2018
    Outstanding demonstration. Now if I could just figure out how to use even 10% of the capabilities of the radio. BTW the actor in the demo obviously is making do with advertising spots pending his next Hollywood or Broadway gig. I predict Oscars in his future.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Cecil B. DeMagawatt
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    edited July 2016
    High powered.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    You should have seen the bathroom before Mrs. Jurrens nixed the scene.
  • Carl/K5HK
    Carl/K5HK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Looks great.  Waiting for WAN here and hope can work about as well.  New remote antenna farm here needs connecting.  73, Carl/K5HK in Reno NV
  • Don-KB6TSQ
    Don-KB6TSQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looks great.  What impressed me is the reduction of data received while operating the radio.  At 15 fps my receive data is currently 2.7 Mbps for one receive frame open.  If I change the frame refresh rate to 30 fps, the receive data transfered jumps to about 3.5 Mbps.  In the video, the RX rate was 25 Kbps.  This is about one thousandth the data transfer to listen to the radio.  This appears to be set for WAN use in the future.  BTW, if I open 4 receive frames on my Flex 6500, the receive data jumps to about 8.5 Mbps on my current Ethernet connection.  Thanks for the video!
    73, Don KB6TSQ
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Don, here is the FLEX-6700 running hard wired LAN remote on 8 panadapters and 8 slices.  DAX is also running on one channel to Fldigi (not shown).  Network traffic is only 9 Mbps!  CPU loading is 15% both as shown in lower right corner of the screen shot.  This is the RTTY contest from this weekend.  This is a major improvement in performance over v1.3.8.  The audio is perfect on this setup over the LAN even with 8 receivers.  If you are running WiFi, your results may vary depending on QRM from other WiFi routers in the neighborhood.

• James Whiteway
    edited February 2015
    Just curious, what happens if you spread the panafalls over several bands instead of one ( 20 meters)? Would having to handle a broader spectrum of activity create a bigger load and more network traffic? As it is, it appears that being all in the same band it is simply repeating the same thing 8 times. Either way, displaying that much info over the LAN with little loading is impressive.
    james
    WD5GWY

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sounds ready for release, hi hi.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    edited July 2016
    Gerald, Thanks for the illustration. Will this reduction to 9 Mbps result only while running in remote, or will a similar low data rate obtain when running in the "standard" mode? If not, then what would one give up by running remote when proximity would allow running "standard?"
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

looks good to me , publish it

Jim

WU5E

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    "If you didn't test, it doesn't work" - IEEE Computer V35, Issue 5 / DOI: 10.1109/MC.2002.999770

Stick to plan
    10  test
    20  If no Bugs Then ShipIt
    30  fix bugs
    40  GoTo 10
    50  END

Excellent work by the **** programming staff to pull this much performance out of the system in this amount of time with bug fixes and enhancements thrown at them also.

Many Thanks for the Update.

Tim

PS:  Gerald : Between you and me gave you give ETA as to ship date.  I'm seasoned in the s/w biz to know what E means.
    tim at povlick dot com

C U all in Yuma

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Of course there will be those that maintain you must have 100 Gigabit Ethernet speed for proper SDR performance.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    James, the number of bands makes no difference.  

Jim, in "standard mode" you are running audio directly to the speakers so there is no impact for that.  Remote is the worst case since I am running 8 streams of audio and video.  

DAX and DAX IQ are full bandwidth since there is no data compression involved.  

Tim, your Basic or is that Fortran program is 100% correct.  Also called a "Do Loop."  We just need a plug for a memory leak.  ;>)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sometimes maintaining proper overkill percentages, can be a killer. Over and out.

Jay - NO5J
  • Don-KB6TSQ
    Don-KB6TSQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • Don-KB6TSQ
    Don-KB6TSQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Gerald,

Here is a screen shot of the current system at my QTH using about 9.1 Mbps.  I am impressed with the improvements.  Thanks for sharing.

73, Don KB6TSQ
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Burt

Not yet. I have a lot of work to do to get my CW up to a usable speed.
  • Tony Hateley
    Tony Hateley Member
    edited February 2015
    I would rather have the real thing sometime
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Don, 
    How do you get the slices to be side by side? Or is this a new version feature?
    Thanks.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I remember the Aggies/SMU Ponies jokes from my time at SMU in the 80's. Worse than the IU/Purdue jokes here in Indiana!
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    So are the Q codes also used in speech and writing. I bet you use them too ;-).
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am a radio amateur, therefore I use Q-codes and speak and write cw. If I order in a restaurant, I say: Can u give me 2 of those ufb steaks, pls? Everybody understands that, why should I change the way I speak? Ok, I'm German, but I talk and write cw in English. I even dream in abbreviations, which is much more effective! OK, I did give up telling my yl that I didadidit dadadah didididah dit her... 
    :-P
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    10-4
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As my YL is also a fellow ham, in the morning I ask her: dear YL, is there a lot of QRM and QRN on the QRG? Should we QSY to another QRG or change our QRA? All right, a bit QLF today so my QRP CW is not ufb. See, that comes quite easily, you should practice a bit....
    :-P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Q-Signals were created to be an international CW abbreviation for those who didn't speak the same language. They have morphed into voice modes over the decades, but they still serve the same function in international contacts where not everyone speaks the same language. or at least not with the same fluency.  Someone can say QRM, QRM and be understood when saying "There are a lot of people interfering with you" would not be understood.

But then, Anglo-centrism is a problem on the ham bands.  I have heard English speaking hams fire up right on top of stations of another nationality as though they didn't have a right to exist on "their" ham bands, and as though they wouldn't really be causing harmful interference to the other stations because they were speaking another language.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.