Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New SmartSDR CAT guide re: FlexVSP

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
In the new guide, it says that FlexVSP should only be uninstalled if requested by upgrade instructions or a Flex tech.

IMHO, this whole issue should be presented differently in the guide.

I would assume from the above that the uninstallation of FlexVSP should not be needed to be done very often.
First, if this were needed for the 1.6 upgrade it needs to be explicitly stated in the guide, avoiding the woolliness of the statement in para 1 above, which could be deleted from the guide.
Second, if it were not needed, all the details about the uninstall need to be relegated to an appendix as it would not deserve the prominence given in the current version of the guide. The current location screams that the uninstall DOES need to be done for the upgrade, increasing any confusion.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

I agree, really get frustrating doesn't it!

Jim, K6QE

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

@Guy

Sorting through, I think your idea is to move a rarely used set of instructions to an appendix?

The change would be something like changing:

to:

and move the instructions to the appendix?

Steve K9ZW

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve, that would be a lot  more like it, but I would also expect the documentation to say whether it would or would not be needed for the upgrade as well.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

With the latest upgrade of Windows, I got no such instructions fo remove Flexvsp before installing 1.51. However, after the installation, nothing worked despite no warning and had to effect a complete removal and reinstall. I see no reason why this problem would have changed with 1.6.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2018
    Guy - your wrote...

"I would assume from the above that the uninstallation of FlexVSP should not be needed to be done very often."

This is absolutely correct so the intent of the doc has hit it's mark.

Second, release specific information, like uninstalling the FlexVSP driver for a particular release would be in the release notes, not the software manual.

Third, it is needed on occasion, when we updated the FlexVSP driver, which has been done before, but not often.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @Tim

>>This is absolutely correct so the intent of the doc has hit it's mark.<<

Which means the rarely-needed instructions can be moved to an appendix. The intent has hit the mark, but the journey was confused by giving rarely needed instructions undue prominence.

FB on your 2nd and third points.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jim, I have never had to uninstall them in my 15 months as a Flexer.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

I had not either and I was surprised that after I loaded in the new Windows upgrade everything went to **** in a hand basket. However, if I say so myself, I have become very adept at removing all vestiges of SmartSDR and resuming from square 1. Hope you have a great year and looking forward to 1.6.

JIm, K6QE

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    We can't always assume that someone upgrading to 1.6 is upgrading from 1.5, they may be upgrading from a previous version.

It would be nice to have a list that explicitly details when each component has changed since version 1.0.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.