Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New series radio fan failures (my two 6400s both died)

Comments

• Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I had a lot of response to this off-list for whatever reason, but thank you to all who reached out.  I was told by someone who would be in the know that FRS has done some MTBF testing done on fans and that there is currently or will be a new module in the near future to replace failed fans.  Hopefully that one does the trick.

I have heard from others that the fan N3HEE linked to above is the fan that flex had them install in their radios.

Barring flex asking me to keep quiet about what fans they want me to install I'll share the information when available so others can self-fix when they have problems.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

My 6600M fan is failing on me also. However I'm moving to a new QTH so the radio is packed up right now but when I get settled in at the new QTH I will replace with the new fan then.

My fan started to make a strange noise as if the burring’s having gone bad.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am not in my shack often, but I don’t recall ever hearing these fans.

Still no word from flex yet on the fans.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Well, I guess I get to join this group. Came home from work today and the 6400 is offline and flashing the one red light on the power button. It did this once before about a week ago. I cold booted and restarted with no errors. It's been on continuously since then, so kinda weird to me that it would shut down during the day with no usage. Guess it good I saved the box.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Are you on the new version John? What Flex found out is the way the fan is told to start was causing some false possitives and causing a fan failure signal. In the new update they made a change to the fan start up to fix that problem.
    See if it happens again.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thanks. I will try the new version over the weekend. I usually wait a few days for the rush to be over, and unforeseen minor problems to be discovered..
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ditto John.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Mine makes a warring type sound and then a few moments later the radio shuts down so absolutely a bad fan not software.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    John, have you removed the cover yet, there have been times when a support for a wire was not installed correctly and draged on some fans. It can be moved out of the way.
    I'm sure you have started a Help Desk report anyways as you should. If it is the fan going they can send you a new one that you can install yourself.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

Yes I did and confirmed that the fan is bad. I tried to replace with a Noctual fan and it worked better than the stock fan at low speed but unfortunately due to the way FRS has programmed the fan control software if the radio see the RPM’s go over 1500 it will shut the radio down.

You can read more about that here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6600m-fan-speed-questions

So when I get done with my move to my new QTH I will have FRS send me the new “Approved” fan I will install it then.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    My previous signature series radios did this.  It was the first indication of the later complete fan failures.  Hopefully not the case for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    John,

FYI They have decided not to send the fans to me. 

They think the failures are my environment and don't feel i'm competent enough to fix them myself without damaging the radios more than they already are.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

@Matt

So let me get this straight you own (2) 6400 (1)6600 and (1) PGXL. That’s more than $15,000 worth of FlexRadio product not to mention the other flex radios you have owned in the past and they won’t send you a few fans???

That’s just crazy! Replacing the fan in the 6400/6600 is as easy as 1, 2, 3

1. Remove top and bottom covers.

2. Unplug the fan connector from mainboard.

3. Separate fan from rubber mounts.

Then just reverse procedure to install new fan.

This is not any more difficult than changing a fan in a PC.

If they won’t let you do it they should at least cover the shipping cost.

Maybe try contacting them again and see if they will re consider?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Must be more to this story Lol
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Bill, Are you sure you don’t work for flex? You opine on every post with an official-like-response and have never publicly said anything bad about them. Then when a customer has a problem you assume it’s the customer’s fault and laugh at them. Sure seems like you are a customer support employee.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Copy of my helpdesk ticket for those who just have to know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DDoi_5HVzN8IDa2vVWiCm_RGvI2rgCnh/view?usp=sharing
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019

I also would much prefer to change the fans myself instead of having the radios bounce around again in long-haul tractor trailers and delivery vans, not to mention tossed around by package handlers and drivers, falling off moving belts, etc. etc. 

I’d keep pressing for them to send the fans.  If FRS wants to see the original fans, they could be shipped back separately. 

A few months back someone posted a picture of a PG XL that had a bracket holding a subassembly literally torn off the chassis in shipment.  There are probably other cases where damage is not that apparent, and might take time to manifest itself. 

Howard

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Suggest following the September 6th RMA and getting the radio(s) back to FRS. It isn’t possible to distill exactly why they want to do the repair themself other than they believe the best fix involves bench work at their end. I’ve always been appreciative of any of my radios sent in getting their full test treatment as part of the service routine. I’m thinking I wouldn’t have lost a couple weeks prevaricating and attempting to renegotiate downwards the high level of service actually included in my radio purchases. Might have picked up the phone to see if they might have a loaner to keep me on the air while my radios were off being serviced. GL and 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The reasons are actually stated clearly. They want to see what environmental factors played a role in the radios dying and they don’t think I’m competent to repair them myself. I’m afraid we’ll disagree about being appreciative of our radios getting a checkup. I’d much prefer my radios to come without defect and therefore not need to be sent for a repair and checkup. When defects are found I expect the manufacturer to treat me graciously and to correct their short-comings without further expenses. It’s enough that I have to dismantle that portion of my station, box the radio up, ship it off, unbox it, and then put the radio back in to service. We’ll also have to disagree about prevarication and whether the service level I seek is downward or upward. I think that would be clear enough without having stated it, though. I also think its clear that your post is nothing more than another veiled jab at me and defense of FRS. Gaslighting would be the term. Fortunately I have no immediate need for either radio so there is no rush in reaching a resolution. Sometimes the right path isn’t the quickest.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Matt protect yourself. Since the radio's are under warranty let Flex make the repair. If you do it and something goes wrong, dropped screwdriver, spilled coffee, etc. the damage done may not be covered. Any accidental damage might not show up until a much later date and it sure would **** to hear from Flex after their inspection that XYZ was done/modified in the past which will not be covered. Flex might also be in negotiations with the Fan manufacturer in order to recover damages from their defective product and will need to carefully document each failure. Since new fans are being installed, there could be other changes besides the mounting hardware that needs to be done at the software level. I'm not taking sides and sure do wish that my radio was still under warranty. Whichever way you decide to go I wish you the best of luck as I feel your pain and fear the day that my radio goes down.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thanks John! Good suggestions!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I fear the day my radio goes down as well, It would really be missed.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Exactly Bill, and Matt is going thru it times TWO!!

And here we all thought Flex withdrawal syndrome was band with one radio down...How does one cope with having two down at the same time? I doubt it gets much worse than that.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The odds of that happening must be stagering. Bad Bad luck.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Expect that the extraordinary coincidence may be part of why FRS wants to bench the radios? We’re all guessing here. Sorry offense was perceived where none was intended. I actually wanted to avoid taking a poke by relaying what I would be doing, and actually have as some of my radios have needed repairs/updates. Hope you get your radios fixed soon. Would be interesting to learn what the issues are found to be. 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://k9zw.wordpress.com
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Well, the upgrade didn't fix the fan issue. I didn't really expect it to since my fan issue occurs after a few days of running, rather than at startup, but I was upgrading anyway so I was hopeful.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Update for all.

I've been busy with stuff not radio related.  I bought the shark fans from amazon nearly a month ago and replaced them in the 6400 at my QTH today.  The radio booted right up and is functioning fine.  The other radio I'll hopefully get around to fixing in the next few weeks.

Shameful IMO that I had to pay to fix it in the warranty period.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Can I have fan part number and model I need order A few If my 6400M fan fails I live in Bush Alaska Joe KL4QG
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Joe,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00432R068/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I ordered and it is the same as what I found when I opened the radio.

Regards,

Matt
    K0KB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I read the communication between you and Flex and I think the answers they gave you were prudent considering the very strange failure rates you were having. You could have sent them back for inspection and repair. But now you have gone around Flex and your on your own now going ahead.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.