Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New SDR coming to market

Ken Davis
Ken Davis Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Third-Party Software
I have heard there is a prototype SDR that performs as well as a Flex. It is about the size of a cigarette package, 5w and is suppose to perform as well as a 6700 and only cost $300.  My source did not know the name of the company so I thought someone here might have heard about this new entry.

Answers

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Is this a question, a statement, a prophecy ?
    • If it's a question then do you think posting another product information on a Flex support forum is appropriate ?
    • If it's a statement then it doesn't any make sense.
    • And if it's prophecy then predicting that technology will continue to improve is stating the obvious. :)
    By the way does anyone know if the Sun will be coming up tomorrow ? LOL

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Sounds like a pipe dream! Hi Hi!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Without any facts and peer overview testing, it sounds like Vapourware.    

Define 'perform'?   

Mike va3mw
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I've just invented a new top of the line, never before seen, bells and whistles SDR that will flat beat all the competition. Problem is, it was in a dream, then I woke up and realized I had left the window open and it was 45 degrees out. Burrrr! Can't wait to find out about this mystery SDR!

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have an antenna design that will give you 12 dB gain on all HF bands and it's made from a few dozen **** cans and a coil wrapped around a toilet paper roll.  Just send $79.95 in small unmarked bills to my undisclosed address and I will send it out right away with free shipping.  :)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The SDR radio in question gets it's incredible specs from the unobtainium over gulliblium  Metal on Saran wrap Integrated circuits. 
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Turboencabulator based?
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Naaaahhh....It's Got Dilithium Crystals!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    This one http://www.reuter-elektronik.de/html/pocket.html is a bit bigger
    than a cigarette packet, and costs a bit more than $300, but it seems to be very good.
    Not as good as a Flex 6k7, though... ;-) For those who can read German, here is a review:
    http://ratzer.at/empfaenger/reuter-pocket Sri, I am too lazy to translate...
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    >"By the way does anyone know if the Sun will be coming up tomorrow?"

The sun will come up tomorrow and likely this sun...

https://eesdr.com/en/products-en/transceivers-en/sunsdr2qrp-en

It's a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes, but not much. 16-bit ADC, 9 BPF, and reportedly 115 dB BDR. Have not seen any conclusive, measured performance.   In addition to a Flex 6700 and several ANANs, I also own a SunSDR2-Pro.  The ESDR software is solid and overall, it performs well. 

Lower-power SDRs like this (and simple exciter boards) may become more popular in the U.S. if/when the FCC removes the 15 dB power gain limit.  Several LDMOS amps will accept 0.5W-1.0W input and deliver well over 1 KW.   

We live in very interesting times!

Paul, W9AC
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The SunSDR2QRP is a cool looking radio but comparing it to any Flex 6xxx is like comparing a Prius to a Tesla.  I don't see any pricing published yet.  I would be pleasantly surprised if it was anywhere close to $300 though.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    interesting how everything is compared to a FLEX now.  
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    in Chrome browser right click on page and pick translate to English
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    for consumers in RUS:

1 USD = ~57 Руб

SunSDR2 QRP =~1052 USD

i have both stuff:   F6700 - main gun and SunSDR2 PRO  - for mobile location
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have no plans to exchange my 6700, this is a answer
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Paul.  I have put the source on notice that he must provide at least a product name or mfg name. He said he would but I am not holding my breath. I really didnt mean to cause any issues with posting something that would cause any unrest. However some of the responses are really funny.

Thanks to you and all of the other respondents. 
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for all the input. I think this topic should be closed.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    Topic closed at the request of the poster.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.