Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Router Here Linksys WRT3200ACM

Philip KA4KOE
Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in New Ideas
This is an involved process for a bricks n' mortar double E. I've performed a lot of research and it seems that the recommended wireless router is one that is "gaming" class. I'm still learning how to set up a Linksys WRT3200ACM which is touted by lots of different folks as the "bee's knees". I also upgraded my Comcast router to dual band. So the network configuration is this....

1. Downstairs cable modem/router from Comcast is set to 2.4 GHz, lets say Net 1.

2. Upstairs Linksys wireless router set to repeater mode, linked to Net 1 via 2.4 GHz. I don't think I can link to the downstairs cable modem/router via a different channel to avoid traffic packets from others in this household.

3. Upstairs wireless router hardwired to Flex 6300 via LAN cabling as is my shack computer. Wireless up here is set to 5 GHz and called Net 2.  Local use of Maestro via Net 2 is fine as long as I am hardwired. I plan to have no other traffic to the Maestro when I am using it via it's dedicated 5 GHz channel. Probably should log off the main shack computer so no "I'm alive" packets get sent back and forth.

4. I intend to set static IPs for all upstairs devices; ie Linksys WRT3200ACM, my computer, and the Maestro, either hardwired or via WIFI.

5. Roll back SmartSDR to 1.8.**** prior to 1.9.****.

Anyone have any recent experience with flashing the WRT3200ACM with DD-WRT? The router is advertised as DD-WRT upgradable.

I'll keep all posted. This router upgrade was prompted by the problems previously experienced by myself and others here.

Fleep
KA4KOE
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Fleep,

I don't know where you live and how close neighbors are but 2.4g has been a problem in my area.  My home is 600 feet from all other neighbors but still the 2.4g band is a mess with everyone's cordless phones and other junk.

I found in my area targeting the 5g band increased my data rates substantially.  I also have kind of overloaded my network intentionally so I have strong sources and these tend to handle my neighbor collisions better.

Just my 2c.   As I sit right now I can operate my laptop from all corners of my yard on WiFi and have pretty good results.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I tried one for about 12 hours and took it back. It would not stream to the Maestro cleanly even with DD-WRT. I ended up using nothing but TP-LINK Archer C5's or C7's.

I'm finding the new ones have way too many buffering issues. More buffer space is not the solution here. BTW, what I am finding is that as I moving everything to 5GHZ (802.11A), I am now wiping out my Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones.

Mike va3mw
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just because the router is listed as a "gaming router" doesn't mean it will work with the Maestro.  I paid over $250 for my gaming router (Asus) and it won't work with the Maestro.  I had to go back to my old Netgear to be able to use the Maestro.  I was also interested in the WRT3200 but someone on here (I think it was on the community) said they had problems with this router and the Maestro.  I hope it works for you.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Funny same here Mike but my reaction was to get rid of the DECT 6.0 phones.  I value solid network above all.  My router is the Linksys WRT1900ac working fantastic so far.  It replaced an ASUS RT66 I bought this past summer, the ASUS took an early dump on me, very disappointing.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    At the remote base (aka cottage), I had to trash all the Panasonic phones. Here at the house, I am going to have to do the same thing and ditch the DECT 6 phones.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Agreed.
    BTW Mike and everyone else.
    I found a freebie version of software that is REALLY useful in finding a "clear" Wi-Fi
    channel so you can "hard set" your home router to a channel not colliding with the neighbors.
    I was having some collision issues and determined my neighbors went with the factory settings as I had. Now the xyl and I can sit together running separate laptops and FB to our hearts content, hi!
    By changing channels my wi-fi is working great.
    This software will also work on 5ghz if your laptop does like on 2.4 ghz.

The freebie version tells you network names, channels, secure status and graphed signal strength.
    Works in Win7 and Win10 aok...

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/download-wifi-scanner-wi...
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    HI Clay, Acrylic is great. Spend some time analyzing it. I use it all the time. The problem is not RF interference like hams are used to. It is issues with the data flow through the AP and how it is managed. It is not always so simple and there is no standard between vendors. It does make it painful.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Excellent.  So this is nothing new, just to me.
    I am so happy I stumbled on it, thought I would share my new find with our flex friends.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Me too.

• Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Its working great after setting priorities for all associated devices. 0 out of 100000 packets.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Philip - I've been having WiFi issues with my Maestro and a DLink Router.  This weekend I plan to swap it out for an ASUS RT-3200.  Can you elaborate what you did to set the priorities on this Router?  TIA  KF4HR
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Some times if a problem seems intermittent of losing contact with the router, and you seem to have it fixed, but it turns up again, check to see if there might be some RFI getting into the router.  I have a netgear that is exquistely sensitive to 40 meter transmissions, and it reboots. when I transmit on some frequencies around 7 MHz. The cure was a good quality Ethernet cable, and I wrapped  the Radio end of the cable several turns around a 2.5 inch balun type toroid. 

Just FYI for anyone having weird router problems.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's part of the web interface for the Linksys under their moniker "Smart Wifi". Also, the stream to the Maestro is a LOT better than performance using SmartSDR on a remote laptop. Weird. So, its a lot better but still some skips and jumps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.