New Radios... Flex 6400 and 6600

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
With Flex Radio shipping the New 6400 and 6600 radios.... just a little over a week ago now... who has received theres and what are your thoughts? Please share your initial thoughts.... setup photos....etc.
Photo of Jeff-W7NEE

Jeff-W7NEE

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Keith Hamilton

Keith Hamilton

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have not read a post anywhere from someone who received one yet.
Photo of steven

steven

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Mine came Friday morning. Not slept since! New to flex, so read the manual work the radio. Had some network issues. Doesn’t like long cat5 run. A default setup sheet would be helpful. Just to make sure I put things back. Receive on this is fantastic, have not connected the amp yet.
Photo of steven

steven

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just wanted to update.  I'm not sure why but very network sensitive.  Plugged cat5 6600 to cat5 Maestro works fine.  Maestro brings up wireless screen on setup.  Also, So you don't waste time, as I did.  Be very aware of the Mic profile.  The Maestro will over ride a mic pilled into the 6600. Everything else works great.  Still working on settings for listening.  I anyone as there defaults they work like to share?  Would be nice to know where to start.
Photo of Robert Harmon

Robert Harmon

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Give a try with the NR and ANF  let us know if works ok  
thanks,
Bob
K6UJ
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 504 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
NB and NR work really well, nice...
Haven't tried ANF yet but was great on the 6300 so in time, mostly do CW.

Also, I have never changed the factory default settings on mic or RX on my 6300 and see no reason to on the 6600.
RX sounds great to me.
The mic is an old Heil HC4 DX dream cartridge I've had 20-25 years and I get excellent unsolicited comments on my audio often. Even Gordo stopped long enough from an event station he was operating to tell me "now that's some nice audio."
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Harmon

Robert Harmon

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Clay, 
Thanks for the info !  I also do mostly CW.  Sounds like the NB and NR perform well.
Supposedly this new SmartSDR V2.1 brings improved NB / NR performance.  I am
anxious to try it myself, paaaaaatiently waiting for my 6400 to arrive.  :-)
Bob
K6UJ
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 504 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Definitely a difference Robert, very happy with it.
It'll be here before you know it.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 506 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
So happy to no longer be Flexless.
6600 ordered 5/19 received it 2/1.
Incredible radio.
Thank goodness for companies like FRS with such extreme vision and resolve.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 506 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,
My meaning was that I traded my 6300 in July, been going a little bats since.

Don't know your background, will just remind you to be smart putting the tower up. Not worth dieing over. Seek knowledge from those who know if you don't. My blessings if you're an old pro.

Welcome to the Flexland Community.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike, K7QDX

Mike, K7QDX

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Clay, 

I traded my 6300 in back in October, my boss being the awesome guy he is had an extra FT1000MP which I have been borrowing since. However the flex does donuts around the 1000. 

I have been in Broadcast or Cellular/PCS industry for over 25 years now. Been around towers a for a little bit. However this install looks like the highest I'll be climbing is on a ladder to a roof. 

Mike
Photo of Mike, K7QDX

Mike, K7QDX

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well I didn't finish my tower. A little more than half done. Three sections in the air with two more to go. Another weekend. 
Saw a nice note from UPS last night while I was taking a break working on the tower. Looks like I'm getting my Flex today instead of tomorrow. 
Perfect since I have the day off today. I guess some pictures will be coming.
Mike
Photo of steven

steven

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Enjoy! Going to visit Flex this weekend at Hamcation. Lots of questions now that I’ve had a couple of days with the radio.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 975 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Forgot about this thread.  I need to get out a good camera and try to get some better shots. Its hard to take pictures of light emitting devices :)

So here is a crappy picture for now.

I am extremely pleased so far.  I really did not expect i would use the front panel knobs often but I am really enjoying it.

The FDX and Diversity receive are very nice. I have wanted two SCUs for a long time but the 6700 was out of my reach.

Only a couple things that bug me about the radio but otherwise two thumbs up.

Rich
kd0zv

Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Rich, did you make or buy that patch panel in your photo? If you bought it, can you share the vendor's name?

Thanks!
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 504 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
Wow Rich that's pretty. Nice work.
Photo of Jeff-W7NEE

Jeff-W7NEE

• 31 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Very nice looking setup! Looks to very well thought out! Thanks for sharing!
Photo of Fred  W9TB

Fred W9TB

• 123 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
looking good Rich
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 975 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Thanks Guys.  Jerry, the panel is Raccoon Engineering built. Which is what I put on everything that comes out of my garage :)

Rich

(Edited)
Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
That's very impressive. You should consider selling them commercially.
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 195 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Clay, Aside from diversity reception and 4 slices, what differences do you notice between the 6300 and 6600? I have a nice 6300 but would like to step up. Can you give any reasons, Aside from the "free" 2.x copy of SSDR?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9026 Posts
  • 3427 Reply Likes
Better preselectors, higher gain RF preamps, ability to use the radio on MARS, and better Reciprocal Mixing Dynamic Range (RMDR).
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 975 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
The second SCU and FDX is worth the upgrade alone.

For me not having a use for remote, version 2 is not worth the upgrade price but I am sure it will be soon enough.

I have had a 6300, 6500 and now a 6600m and its by far the nicest radio I have had on my desk in 40 years of ham radio.

Rich
kd0zv