Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

new n3zn key

ctate243
ctate243 Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Third-Party Software
This is a bit OT but wanted to share.  I just got a new single lever key to use with my Flex 6700 from Tony N3ZN.  the Mechanical quality and craftmanship of Tonys keys is amazing and is a great compliment to my flex contesting setup.  If you are in the market for a new Key I would highly recommend checking these out.image

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Single lever paddle - most interesting. How does it compare to an iambic? I've thought of making one to try out before buying one.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Congrats Chris. I finally went single lever paddle, same key a yours, and have never looked back at the variety of quality iambics I own. I just wish the finger piece was the same width as the distance between the iambic keys. I guess my thumb and middle finger muscle-memory is too ingrained after all these years. It finally dawned on me that there is no real reason to use an iambic key unless you are using iambic fingering. I think you will like the N3ZN single lever key.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I have 2 ZN single lever paddles Superb  My latest is 9A5N

http://sdr-w9oy.blogspot.com/search?q=paddle

73  W9OY
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a modified P-6 single paddle key made by K6RA (extra heavy base) and I absolutely LOVE it. Congrats on getting a great key.
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I thought I was the only one who wanted the iambic finger-spacing, but without the iambic contacts.  I bought a Begali Simplex Mono Basic (with optional snazzy red aluminum paddles) for just that reason...a fantastic key.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I bought a custom wood finger piece from Sal IK1OJM  ik1ojm@libero.it for my 9A5N paddle which I am really happy with.  You might be able to contact him to design a "fatter" finger piece solution.  

I would also contact Tony N3ZN.  He used to make only iambics and I contacted him back in 2008 about designing a single lever paddle.  I had Begali and Kent but I was not happy with the performance of those paddles.  The mechanism was too convoluted.  He couldn't understand at first why I wanted single lever and I told him I wanted a simpler, less massive mechanism.  He was open to my suggestions.  We collaborated on the design and the ZN-SL1 was born, out of my need for a better paddle and his machining genius. 

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7778

I have the prototype as SN#1.  He later went on to refine the design with a heavier base which expanded into a whole line of single lever paddles.   He may be open to an iambic spaced alternative finger piece.  I hear him on 40M CW all the time, good guy.  

73  W9OY
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Made various comments about single paddle vs iambic - here is my circa 1962 - Ham basics - Making a paddle from an old semi-automatic chrome plated key and a highly varnished wood finger piece.  Used with a 3-tube keyer with a weather balloon ultra-light relay.  Good for constant 60WPM cathode keying a "new" DX-40.

This is still my favourite paddle - The wide well varnished wood feel is ideal for soft stroking action.

And yes - Those are the "original" Mecano brass nuts.

imageimage
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I grew up on Iambics, the first being a Heathkit like this one:

Since then I've been through Ten Tec, HamKey, Bencher, Kent and Begali to name a few. Once in a while I have the opportunity to try the single levers but never quite get it. It has to be a matter of what I was raised on I think. I am able to do a fair job with semi-autos (bugs) but the Iambic is the key for good code at any speed for me.

Another observation... there are some beautiful keys out there these days! I love window shopping the various vendor and manufacturer sites looking at their works of art. The N3ZN key above would look great on any ham shack desk. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    10 meters open here in W6 this afternoon and took the ZN for a drive in a few ragchews.  This is a wonderful key.  already adjusting to the single lever spacing, ok at about 30wpm for now..  nice error free CW sending is a wonderful thing.  thanks for all the comments!  I will use in CQWW cw for sure. (with my 6700!)
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    love my N3ZN-SLR cootie!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.