Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Maestro WiFi no networks seen.

Steven Hess
Steven Hess Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Maestro sees no WiFI networks. 
When I plugged in the AC adapter the Maestro booted.
No Wifi Networks were seen.
Shut down Maestro and rebooted. Same thing. Powered down. 
Connected to Wired Network sees radio. No problem. 
Powered down and tried WiFi again. No Networks seen.
I have Ubiquity Access points. 5GHz and 2.5Ghz
Network is up. Broadcasts SSID.
Scratching head.  

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Are your Ubiquity radios blocking L2 (Layer 2) communications?

Mike va3mw
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Unless that's a default no. 
    Thing is it doesn't see ANY networks. 
    Not even the 2.5 GHz provided by the router directly. 
    It's right under the router and about 10 feet away from the 2.5/5GHz AP. 

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry... I have to ask... Does anything ELSE see your Ubiquity? Did you run a wifi analyzer to see if your Ubiquity is set to some odd international allocation u anticipated by Maestro? Peter K1PGV
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I had terrible problems like this until I removed security and ran unsecured - then the Maestro saw the WIFI ok

I really had to juggle the network settings on the AP to get it to work and even now if WIFI is connected and the LAN cable is in then I struggle

Try an unsecured WIFI first before writing it off as faulty

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    They are on the US bands Peter. 
    Every device in the house sees the Ubiquti APs.
    The devices can connect.
    The APs are fully visible in WiFi Overview pro on my  Nexus as are about 5 other networks sitting where the Maestro is.
    Infact no one else within range even has a 5GHz network. 

Simon Lweis. No. You shouldn't EVER turn off security on your WiFi network.
    The Maestro shouldn't require that either.

If there are no hidden Wifi settings or way to force it to scan I may have a defective Maestro.    
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Set up your AP like normal with WPA2 security (I hope that is what you had).  Next, reboot your Maestro by holding down the power button for about 30 seconds.  That will do a clean boot (if I remember Tim's comments correctly).  After that, see if that works and also make sure you don't have a Lan cable connected.  

If you have a battery connected, unplug it too.

Mike va3mw

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Michael Walker I'm set for WPA-Personal  WPA2  (verified)
    Did the reboot removed LAN cable and no joy.
    How long should it take for visible networks to appear? 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Steven

LAN Cable was disconnected prior to reboot, and still no networks seen?

If so, I'd start a help ticket https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us just in case.

Presume you did the five-second hold the button reboot already, and that you can find your radio when the Maestro is on a cabled Ethernet connection?

As for deeper fixes, that is FRS staff territory, hence the help ticket suggestion.

Once you have things sorted would very much like to hear how things work with your Ubiquity Mesh.  

Steve K9ZW
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Networks should appear pretty quickly.  Faster than my laptop actually.

I would open a ticket as Steve said.  The 30 second hold down does a reload from scratch if I remember correctly.  

I wish I had better news.  Mike va3mw

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Yea Steve it has no problem finding the radio with the ethernet cable plugged in. Just no WiFi. It sees nothing.  The WiFi network field is empty. 

Now I have a different problem.
    I can't log in to the helpdesk.
    I log into my FlexRadio account ( I get their log in by using the Buy link) using my stored password in my browser but the helpdesk doesn't recognise me as logged in.  
    I see no way to recover my username and password anywhere.
    So at this point I can't open a helpdesk ticket.
    Not seeing any joy resolving this quickly.    

I hate to think I might have to return the Maestro because the WiFi is DOA.  
    I waited so long for my turn to come up.   It seems defective at this point. 
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Thanks guys for the help by the way. 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Steve, I know Tim will jump in quickly to comment.  I don't think he sleeps.

I also know when someone from the Alpha team had to return a Maestro for a different issue, it was handled pretty darn fast.  

In the mean time, go wired for a bit.  Personally, I don't even boot up SSDR anymore on my 6300 regardless if I am remote or local.  
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Yea I have no problem using Wired in the shack.
    It defeats the purpose of portability though and wireless networking was one of the selling points. Operating from the back deck or den would be fantastic I think. Operating from away from home would be even better. 
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Steven .. I live in the middle of nowhere :)

I doubt my sheep have wifi just yet :)

just for tests - I never run unprotected even here

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Open help ticket w/ a phone call. I would also take it to a public hotspot and see if it sees any of them i.e. starbuckers or a local hotel. In the mean time get a longer cat5 cable. Better than nothing.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I tried a iPhone with personal hotspot sitting right next to it. Same with Nexus 5X with hotspot turned on Didn't see those either. Seems deaf to WiFi signals.  My Nexus 5X sees five different networks on 2.5GHz with WiFi Overview Pro. Two of those 2.5 sources are here in the shack.  (I am the only one nearby with 5GHz it seems)
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Welp.. Starting a help desk ticket via phone didn't go well. They wanted me to leave a message. I don't have time to play phone tag.  Can anyone verify I have to create a completely new log in for the Help Desk that is different from my FlexRadio log in that I use to purchase stuff? It's weird that the form was not already filled in like that log in is.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I noticed Tim has not been around this morning yet, I'm sure he will contact you as soon as he sees this post.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is very straightforward to enter a HelpDesk ticket.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...   Once the support ticket is submitted, a support engineer will be in contact.

The HelpDesk system is a separate system from the Community that uses separate login credentials.   
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I have changed this post to a problem topic and converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Steve, It is best for you to call in and leave a message. It is those calls that Flex handles first over what is posted in the community. They will also fix your login. Unlike HP, there is a finite number of support staff. You clearly have a hardware issue with your Maestro, so it will be good for you to get on the phone with them. Mike va3mw
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Tim.
    I had issues with the help desk even getting logged in. 
    I called in and left a message. 

• Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Tim is that login separated from the login I use to buy stuff from FlexRadio as well? 
    I've requested a password reset. I got not email. 
    I tried to create a new login. I got no email.
    I even check my spam.
    As I said I called in and left a phone message. 
    Trying to get to the support ticket number you created  I get sent to a login that I can't fill in to see the ticket. I've got no credentials to log in with. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Steve - you can always send an e-mail to support@flexradio.com which opens a ticket.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    After Tim converted this to a helpdesk ticket Dudley reached out to me via email. 

It seems they shipped me a defective unit. 

I guess they will send me a RMA number. Until I get one I won't ship it back to be sure.
    Now I get to wait three or four weeks for my brand new Maestro that I preordered to make a trip back to Texas. For them to fix it or replace it. And for it to get back to me. 
    At this point after all this I am  seriously considering asking for a full refund. 
    I'm pretty frustrated that the WiFi that was supposed to make the Maestro so portable doesn't even work. 

Thanks for being helpful Michael. 
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is something like the WiFi antenna becoming unplugged in transit as I would have thought this is something that is tested after manufacture? These kind of DOA faults are usually something that a manufacturer can't really control, the important thing is how quickly they resolve the issue.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Steve, I appreciate your frustration.  I've been there more than once.  However, I have always found that vendors in this industry have always done the right thing.    Your are correct that you have an option to return it, which Flex honuors of course.  Or wait a bit, get the  unit back.   Flex is a company that is pretty reasonable to deal with and the people are amazing.  They will do what it takes to make you happy.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven, it is always disappointing when something does not work we purchase. I know Flex will make this as fast as possible. And if you ask for a refund? then you have no Maestro.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Steve - I would not be so quick to assume that the time to resolve your issue will be 3-4 weeks.  Please check your HelpDesk ticket for details.
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    FlexRadio have determined my WiFi module has failed. (Infant mortality.)
    They have dispatched a replacement Maestro and a return shipping label for the defective one. They more than met me halfway.
    The usual FlexRadio Systems high standards of service.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.