Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Maestro what software?

Options
AH0U
AH0U Member
I just got my Maestro today and on start up it seats I'd need to upgrade software and radio. My 6700 is running on 1.7 now after reading the announcement about 1.8 should I let the Maestro upgrade or do I leave it in the box until the 1.8 is fixed?? Right now I can't use it as the Maestro stops waiting for me to upgrade.... Tax AH0U

Answers

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Same here. I have a replacement Maestro in an unopened box but am afraid to plug it in without further clarification. Meanwhile the 30 day trial period clicks on...  TNX.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Bruce and Dave
    I'll try to explain. as of today. you cant upgrade a Maestro to 1.8.anything. the update released yesterday had a problem and it bricked a few Maestro's so that they have to be returned to Flexradio in to reflash?? the OS/firmware  that Maestro runs on top of.

In order to avoid anyone else bricking their Maestro's the upgrade package has been deleted from the download server that Maestro get's it software from. So as of today trying to upgrade to 1.8.X will fail because Maestro can't download the upgrade. An upgrade attempt will just halt and throw an error message telling you that it can't download the software.

So we have to wait for a fix, which will also have to be Alpha and Beta tested before we can upgrade beyond 1.7.32.15. We might also be waiting for the bricked units to be fixed and returned. It's broken software, not hardware, reflashing the OS/firmware should probably take no longer than it takes for a Maestro to do a normal update. The repair time in this case is mostly due to shipping and handling The unboxing and reboxing will probably take longer than the reflash.

Your Maestro will work running 1.7.32.15 until  a new update is released. Depending on what software is on your Maestro it might want/need to do an update to the most recent 1.7.X.X version. It's safe to let it do that. just don't select the 1.8.X version and you won't have any trouble.

Edit: If you end up with a 1.7 -1.8 mismatch between your radio and Maestro, the up/downgrade the radio to the latest 1.7.X.X version first, using the normal SmartSDR
    upgrade/downgrade method, to fix the mismatch.  I didn't have to downgrade SmartSDR. because I never installed the 1.8.X SmartSDR upgrade. Hopefully the 1.7.30.X reinstall will go smoothly. the firmware in the radio and the firmware in the Maestro need to match.
    I haven't seen anyone reporting major difficulty switching SmartSDR back to 1.7.x. but it's only been 2 days.  We might need to modify our SmartSDR and Maestro upgrade install strategies a little to retain a previous install of SmartSDR long enough to be sure we wont need to downgrade.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee, just another Maestro owner, we will probably get more information after the holiday weekend is over, so stay tuned. 

They are all under warranty anyway. we might  as well use them while we wait.image

Hopefully I'm making sense.
    If not, Ask, Learn, then Do!image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So as of today trying to upgrade to 1.8.X will fail because Maestro can't download the upgrade.

TNX Jay. Those were the magic words. -Dave

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    So what is one to do as the Maestro insists I upgrade. and will not boot up until I do... Already running latest 1.7 on computer and 6700.... I guess I have just what I always wanted.... A $1000 8 pound paper weight.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Bruce

If you make it all the way to the select a software version screen then your booted up. Select one of the 1.7.X selections and let it do it's thing.There is a 1.7.X update that it will do to make it compatible with the latest 1.7.X software on your 6700. what your running into is the fact that the latest 1.7.30 software that you've been using with SmartSDR is newer than the 1.7.X software that came preinstalled on the Maestro. The firmware in the radio has to match the firmware in the Maestro. Maestro wants to upgrade so they will. My Brand new Maestro did the exact same thing. In order to use it, you have to let it sync up it's firmware to the radio's firmware.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just run V1.7 on BOTH your Maestro and SSDR until the fix is released... Hence it is not a paperweight.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.