Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Maestro Bootup Problem

L.Kubis
L.Kubis Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My brand new Maestro won't bootup!

It starts but quickly stops and eventually locks up with a window showing "Waiting on Hardware Initialization (Y,K,YTS)"

Help!

Lloyd
VE3ERQ

Flex 6500
v 1.7

Comments

• Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Lloyd,

The second day I had mine, it did the same think. I was running on the battery, which turned out not to be a good one. It than took to using the "internal" battery (which will keep it up for about 2 min while you switch) and killed that one too.

So, when I got the power to the Maestro, the internal battery had to get re-charged, before the message would go away.

I believe I left it plugged in and off (charging the internal) for about 30-40 min and then all was fine.

Give that a try and hopefully it recovers.   73

W8XG Brent

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If what Brent says doesn't work, then open a support ticket.
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the tip, Brent.
    I am using the Flex supplied wallwart but didn't have power on it long enough perhaps. I will let it soak for an hour or so and try again.
    The unit was sitting on the self for a couple of months so something may have discharged internally.

Cheers!
    Lloyd
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

When it happened to me, I took the cell phone battery out, plugged in the wallwart and did not power up the unit. After "soaking" for awhile, I powered up and all was well. Scared the  C...* out of me!

If after an hour or so, this doesn't work, yea, I'd start a trouble ticket. But, do let us know how this works out.

73  Brent

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had the same problem last night.Turns out
    I forgot to plug in the 12 volt supply and
    kept getting the same hardware message. As
    soon as I fed it 12 volts and re-started, it
    was okay. I'm sure yours will be okay also.

73, Jim N9VC

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    This is supposed to be a portable device and should be able to boot up as long as the battery is good. I don't think it should have to be tethered to a wall wart and extension cord to turn it on???
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The only reason I am using 12 volts is I have
    not purchased a battery yet for it. If it has
    a battery of sufficient charge, then I agree,
    a wall wart or power supply should not be
    needed.
    In my case, I attempted to start it up without
    the power supply connected and it made a valid
    try till the internal battery became depleted.

73, Jim N9VC

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hey Lloyd, hope your doing well. I plugged mine in for several hours before doing anything. Before I got Mojix battery I would go portable around the house and did experience something similar. Quickly surmised I let the on-board battery get too low, plugged back in and let it get a good charge, all was well.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Lloyd

Attend Mike and my presentation in the fall, you might learn something !!!!!!

Hope you got it working.  Just fired mine up today for the first time, and listening to the maestro right now.

Cheers

Kevin

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Lloyd

give us an update on your situation.

Kevin

• L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Was replaced, Kev. 

New one is working great!

Let's get on some night!

Cheers!
    Lloyd
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I had the same problem.  It seems you can never get too far from 12V external power source.  Even with full charged batteries in the rear of the Maestro, it still will run down the internal battery and fail to re-boot.  So it seems we need TWO batteries to run the Maestro away from the mains.  Dudley suggested to get a 12v gel cell to keep the internal battery charged.  I am disappointed I need to do this.  Why can't the battery in the rear compartment charge the internal battery?  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Why can't the battery in the rear compartment charge the internal battery?  

It should as long as the battery bank you are using has sufficient charge capacity to  charge the internal battery.  With the info provided, It sounds to me as if your battery bank may be weak providing 5 VDC under load.

If this problem happens using different battery banks, then I suspect a hardware issue.  If you have an open HelpDesk, I would provide this feedback.  If not, I'd open a HelpDesk ticket since it sounds like a problem with the internal charging circuit.
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,   I have two different batteries that I swap out before an operating session.  I assume they are reasonably charged since I just took them off the charger.  Since you indicate the Maestro should work only on the batteries in the battery compartment  I will spend the next few days experimenting.  When I get the "Insufficient battery power. Please replace battery..." message I will immediately replace the battery.  If this fails to solve the problem, I will open another trouble ticket.  Dudley told me to use an external battery to keep the internal battery charged, that did not sound right.  So I have some experimenting to do.  Thank you for your comments.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If the Maestro has no external power source (battery bank or DC connection) the internal display battery will drain over time, which is why Dudley made the recommendation.  If the internal battery has insufficient power and is connected to an external power source, the Maestro will not boot until the internal battery has charged, usually in about 10-15 minutes.  Maintaining power to the Maestro when not in use will speed up your boot time if you do not have to wait for the internal battery to charge.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.