Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Issue??

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Noticed something last night while on the radio (FLEX-6500, Windows 10, SmartSDR 1.5.1) not sure how long this has been going on to be honest.  Anyway having a QSO with a guy in Oregon, had VOX on, everytime I started to transmit, mainly when the inflection of my voice would cause the meter to peek up I would also hear a "ching" from the computer speakers like I was getting mail or something... it didn't seem to effect anything and the radio operated fine but it kept doing it... had to turn the computer speakers off to avoid the background noise..

I looked around and found no errors in windows, nothing...

Any idea's??

Answers

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Could it be RF getting into a USB device and causing it to disappear and reappear as the computer enumerates it? Is the "ching" sound the same one you get when you plug in a USB device?
    Doug K4DSP

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    No, it's the same sound as when I receive mail.... the USB plug in unplug is a different sound (plug in is one sound, unplug is a different sound)

• Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
     I have the EXACT same issue!

I never noticed this until I hooked in a Yaesu MD100 Microphone.

What Mic are you using?
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    If you unplug your USB keyboard does it happen? I'm wondering if RF isn't making it appear that some particular key is being pressed. 
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I was using a Heil Pro Set Elite and VOX... I wonder if it has anything to do with DAX?  need to test again after turning off all DAX channels I found that there was one that was still red and streaming, although the DAX button in the P/CW window was off I wonder if that had anything to do with it...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Doug.. my keyboard is a logitech wireless keyboard as well as my mouse, only use USB to charge the batteries in it..  also the ching is the same ching as if you were to change the volume on speaker via the speaker icon in the lower right task bar... click it and the slider opens if you move slider up or down its the same chime...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    tried to test the DAX theory and now I can not get it to do it again.. going to have to pay attention and see if I can recreate to issue.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    BINGO.. found it... DAX.. if I turn on DAX streaming and hit the TX button in the DAX control panel, Select Channel 1 in the panadapter frequency window... then leave the DAX button off in the P/CW window on the right.. turn on VOX and speak it happens... in the DAX control panel turn off the stream and TX and select none in the DAX panadapter channel and it stops..

Hope this makes sense.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Might not be related but I have a Yamaha headset plugged into my computer.  When I have it too close to my speakers or computer.  I get a chirp about every 3-4 minutes.  Its faint and it has taken me a while to track down where it is coming from.  I've also had this same issue when having a Jabra wireless headset too close to my speakers or computer.

Lots of USB devices cause all sorts of issues too.  An example: I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that was working flawlessly for many months.  All of a sudden it started acting up.  Mouse would lock up and take several seconds to respond, keyboard was doing the same thing.  I'd start typing and nothing would happen for a couple seconds, then all of a sudden it would start working.  I tracked this down to an external disk drive that I had plugged into a USB 3 slot that was next to the bluetooth radio for the keyboard and mouse.  Took me a long time to figure that one out.

Good luck tracking this down.  Let us know when you figure it out. 
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I will try when I get home and report back.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.