New IPad vs. IPad Pro for SSDR iOS thoughts?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I know it's probably early, but wondering if the new IPad just announced would work well for SSDR? I am currently using it on my old IPad and it functions as long as I don't get too rowdy with it. Can't seem to be able to break down and spend the Bucks on the Pro.. Any Apple folks out there with thoughts?
Thanks. Mike W1BFA
Photo of Mike  W1BFA in Maine

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 121 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
I have been using my 12.9"  iPad Pro rather than my iPad MAINLY because SSDR for iOS looks great on the larger screen
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Any of the newer generation of iPad will work with SSDR for iOS
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

The so-called NEW iPad runs the A9 processor  -

The iPad Pro (9 and 12") run the faster A9X processor

All of the above will work

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 121 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks Howard! I suspected it would be Ok but didn't want to buy one and then upgrade again. Any sage advise on which type of screen is most visible outside before I decide on the least expensive option? Just a funny note, my Maestro screen went blank when I took it out by the pool last spring. I was relieved it was just the polarized sunglasses I had on.. Mike
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

Here is a picture of me and my iPad Pro on Mt Boron in Nice France No issues whatsoever in the sun
Photo of NA7AA Tom

NA7AA Tom

• 27 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
What headset are u using ?
Tom
NA7AA
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

I am using a $37 Logitech Bluetooth Headset from which I continue to get superb audio reports.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JXAEGS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

However they are likely obsolete now

Alternative is the Apple Ear Buds which also get great audio reports but you remain tethered to the iPad

Photo of NA7AA Tom

NA7AA Tom

• 27 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank You Howard,

I ordered a 6600M in Dayton. Very new to SDR. Didn't think about a headset for my iPhone or iPad.

Now I will be able to operate from inside my home in the winter, rather that blow 5 feet of snow getting to the shack in in -20 below in Wyoming. 95 miles from Yellowstone.

Looking at all the LogItec headsets.

NA7AA Tom
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
I have the exact same headset, Howard. Likewise tremendous audio, and so comfortable I've accidentally driven off with it. I also have an H800 which is similar except black.

I love them both, which is a lot more than I can say for my Heil Proset Elite headsets. They get good audio reports, but are torture after a half hour.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1466 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
I run SmartSDR for IOS on both an iPad 4th gen and an AIR 2 with no issue. Also runs fine on iPhone 7 Plus.

One thing I regret is getting the 16 GB Air. It is full and no way to expand it. Will most likely sell it and upgrade.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 821 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
The Ipad pro 9.7 has a much sharper screen than 12 inch. I had to go to an Apple store to decide which one to buy. Amazon has 9.7, 32Gb model for 500.00. Nice unit 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

NONSENSE  - EXACT SAME RESOLUTION

• 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
  • 2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

• 12.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
  • 2732-by-2048 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Just a bigger screen with MORE Pixels

(Edited)
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 821 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
not according to Apple. Sorry Howard.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

I own BOTH.. there is no visible difference except when you are watching lower Res photos.

If you have a high enough pixel count in the photos you really cannot see the difference...

BTW.. those specs above were copied from Apple.

Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 606 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
The latest model replaces the Air 2 that I currently own,  The Air 2 works just great with SSDR, so I'm sure the new one will too.

Mike W1BFA in Maine

• 121 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
thanks a bunch guys...  I was really convinced I was going to do the deal on the new Ipad then really got looking at the good pricing on the 9.7 Pro 32..  However I guess I'm going to step up to the 128...  My Ipad II with 64 had lasted me 5 or 6 years at least (with 6 grandkids!) so hopefully I can expect the same out of the new Pro.

• 1466 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Going to check them out when I get home from the Dominican. Will get rid of my iPad Air 16 GB and look at the new one. My wife has the Air 2 64 GB with cellular so she doesn't get the upgrade
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/?afid=p238%7CsgSHuBif6-dc_mtid_2092592t39165_pcrid_187178265011_&a...

Ipad Pro 9.7 here.. 256GB.. works great with SDR or my Drone..

And for what it's worth the camera on the ipad pro 9.7 is better then the others.. and it will do 4K HD video recording (3840 by 2160) where the others wont
(Edited)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
I would have no hesitation using the new iPad 9.7 instead of the Pro if it is only for SmartSDR use.

The screen resolution is about the same. New iPad is slightly heavier and thicker. The other differences are not likely to be used with SmartSDR - camera and a bit of a processor difference.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Photo of Mark - N7MHB

Mark - N7MHB

• 41 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I'm looking at an iPad Pro 10.5in.  The screen has twice the speed.  I tried it out at BestBuy and it is very smooth. Fast processor too.
Photo of George - AB4FH

George - AB4FH

• 64 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Same here. :thumbsup:
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 440 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
I finally got to use Smartlink via my gen 2 iPad. So it was a small learning curve, a few adjustments, and then smooth running. My local inter island net here in Hawaii on 40 and 80 meters was worked. Lots of fun and those on the net were surprised by quality of audio and operation. Great job FlexRadio. Was on from Michigan.

Pat, WH6HI
(Edited)

• 1466 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Pat,

You ever talk to Tom K4XV on Kauai? I’ll be staying in his ohana the beginning of May.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 440 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Sorry, do not know him at this time, that does not mean I have not met him.

Pat