Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

new heat sink

Don w2xb
Don w2xb Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just wondering if there is any info on the new heat sink for the 6400 and 6600 rigs? 
Keeping and eye on temps and turning rig off after operating.

Don...w2xb...

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Don,, I think the heat sink is fine, it is the glue that holds the heat sink to the chip itself that is at fault..  Seems like a simple do it yourself fix, Flex send you the parts... I just installed a UX-9100 1.2GHz option in my Icom IC-9100 All mode Satellite defined radio.. Talk about complexity!!! I would think a heat sink is a simple thing to do for 95% of the Flex community who needs to do this rather then sending it back to the factory,,, but that is just me... No fault of Flex, their supplier let them down.. Just had both Airbags changed on my daughters Honda.. Talk about an expensive recall!!!

Robert
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The PEN kit is an easy install.  It takes more time to remove the 14 Torx screws than to do the replacement.  When I did mine, the original heat sink was still firmly in place even though the 6400 has been running 24//7 since January.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Rick how hard was it to remove the one installed? Use your hand and it gently pulls off or??
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I would like to know where this heat sink is located in the radio. A picture maybe ? Would like know when I am going to get the kit ?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have never seen the inside of a 6400 or 6600M radio.. I can only imagine what it looks like!! :-)

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited May 2018
    The heat sink is located on the ADC board.  When you get the PEN kit, the included instrucitons (with photos) make it all plain.  In my case, I needed to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the original sink as it had not loosened at all.  I've heard of others who found them lying loose, or easily removable by hand, but this was not the case with my radio.  The new heat sink attaches on the OPPOSITE side of the board from the original, something I missed on my first quick reading of the instructions, something I'm all too prone to do...lol.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Rick did you happen to notice what the adc chip number was?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Probably a 12AT7.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, but no.  I had no reason to inspect it that closely,  I'm a software guy, and don't pay much attention to the hardware details as they're not something I'd normally be dealing with on a personal level.  Changing out the heatsink is as close as I'll ever get to being a hardware tech.. ;-)

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Isn't that a tube number?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OH, Yes It IS!! :-) Cant fool any of these Flex Experts!!! :-) 

• A.J. AJ2I
    A.J. AJ2I Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just saw the PEN kit install video for the 6400/6600 put on the YouTube channel. I've never seen a heatsink placed on the back of a board. Can someone explain how this works? Also why do you have to remove the original heatsink?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Interesting Video. You can definitely see that the new heat sink is twice the size of the old one.. In most cases the ADC Chip was Glued to the PC board BEFORE it went through the Solder Flow Machine.. The Heat Sink is pulling any heat that is being transferred to the PC Board... I think Flex can validate my claim..  Not a common thing to do, but it has been done before many times with CATV type equipment, the stuff that hangs up in the Air on your telephone poles.. 

Robert

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.