Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New FlexSDR for iOS HomeKit question

Jeff | VA2SS
Jeff | VA2SS Member
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
Hi, I downloaded the new release that now include HomeKit support.... Great! but when enabling the HomeKit support, I can only see a small list of all my devices connected and supported by HomeKit. I am already using such HomeKit device to turn on my Flex 6400, But unfortunately, it does not appear in the component listed within FlexSDR iOS app. Any clues?? 73 de Jeff | VA2SS

Answers

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Jeff. The intended way for supporting HomeKit from inside the App is that, once you enabled HomeKit from the Settings menu in the HomeKit Tool of the App, you should see a list of "Compatible" HomeKit devices. You can then select the devices you want to use. Then, those devices you selected should appear under the Home Icon on the main Panadapter screen.

It might take some time until you see all devices in the list after switching on HomeKit but you can also pull-to-refresh this list to force an update.

With "Compatible" I mean devices that can be switched or turned on. I am filtering out all ou other devices because I thought they are not useful for the App and to keep the list small.

Can you tell me which particular device you are using and not seeing in the list?

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited December 2019
    Hi Marcus, Yes it is indeed a HomeKit supported device that I bought from the Apple Store. See : https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJDA2LL/B/idevices-switch?fnode=62102ded8508a4cfb356786529a75ffc29f34029fdf81956de121a65e32c1bc5a05dadfb4544633a53836f5029faf4dd93aa28a7e7035b2992692ba3adc914e01a7d1c34355dc62f7f57a51483e4100168ca2fa8863cc8dcd8434972f9581565 I created two HOME into HomeKit at my QTH.... and it seems that I can only see devices from my « default » home only. Accessories associated with my shack are not my default home and limited to me to prevent unauthorized access from my family. I have already see iDevices devices in the list from FlexSDR.... but not all... that’s explain why. I will need to move all in 1 place or you are planning to support multi home in HomeKit ??? 73 de Jeff | VA2SS
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I got the WEMO Mini Smart Plug to work with the HomeKit Mike
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    wonder if it supports the TP-link plug the community has been talking about?

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    Check the list below too many to list here https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/ 73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    Marcus Got the WeMo Mini WiFi Smart Plug AC Outlet To work fine on iOS SDR over my LAN network As well as the IHome WEMO App over LAN as Well The issue is that with iOS SDR when I use WAN I can turn the Switch Outlet On or Off within iOS SDR I suspect I need to find the assigned LAN IP assigned and need to open a Port thru My Router to get it to work over WAN Any info or ideas how to get it to work over WAN Not sure what that Port number would Be ????? Not sure if there a way to Automate that With UPnP within iOS SDR 73 Mike
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited February 2019
    If you use Homekit via an Apple TV 4.... this will act as a gateway for your all your Homekit devices... But I strongly suggest that you put in place a VPN instead of opening security breaches in your network. But this is only IMHO..... :-)

73 Jeff VA2SS
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited February 2019
    I actually have many of these iDevices hardware.... As I only see those in my main HOME.... Until FLexSDR support multi home in Homekit, I will need to move into the same home all my Homekit devices.

73 Jeff | VA2SS
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    The WEMO Mini WiFi Smart Plug works Great over WAN using the WEMO App From the Apple App Store but does not Work when Within then iOS SDR program over WAN It does work with the WEMO Mini WiFI Smart Plug Switch within iOS SDR with LAN but does not work over my WAN network So the issue is within iOS SDR when trying To use the Switch when over WAN versus LAN accesss Mike
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited February 2019
    One thing take care is to have fully Homekit compatible devices. Running your device on iOS is not sufficient... it must be Homekit compliant. If you cannot see and manage you device inside Apple Home app.... you won't be able to use it from FlexSDR as well.

73 Jeff VA2SS
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    When Using iOS SDR when selecting the iHome Symbol The WeMo Switch can toggle ON and Off over LAN But will not Toggle over WAN Over WAN, I must use the WeMo App to successfully toggle the Switch On and Off Hope that helps you out Marcus 73 Mike
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    TP-link, coming soon.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    FYI Marcus Just in case you or anyone else needed to Know this The WEMO HomeKit Switch Ports needed 10. What are the ports used for Wemo HomeKit Mini WiFi Smart Plug ? Ports are openings that allow data to flow in and out through your router's firewall. The following ports are used for Wemo: Type Port Number Purpose Local 1900 Advertisement and discovery requests (UPnP). Xxxx Discovery response port is up to the requester source port – random 49152, 49153, 49xxxx Local web service calls. First two are used most of the time, but numbers can increase. Remote 8080 http for downloading firmware update files 8443 https for web services to cloud 3478 Port for TURN server for NAT client
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jeff, yes, you are right. The App only supports one Home not multiple and If you have more than one, it uses the "Default Home". But I added the idea to support multiple homes to the ToDo list. It should not be too difficult to add but I wanted to concentrate on V3 first.

And yes, as you said earlier, the WEMO solution is NOT a HomeKit compliant device. It's just iOS compatible but not HomeKit.

And, for HomeKit, no Ports need to be opened and no VPN is needed. 

And, you need not to have an Apple TV to be able to use HomeKit. It can also be an iPad or a HomePod but my personal preference is also an Apple TV.

Hope this helps.

Marcus
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    Can anyone recommend a device that does not Require open ports for WAN that will work with Marcus iOS SmartSDR as a AC Plug Outlet The WEMO works over LAN and only in WAN thru the WEMO and Home App Any suggestions for successful WAN AC Plug outlets that work in the Flex iOS Smart SDR App on the iPhone 73 Mike
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited February 2019
    Returned the WEMO unit today and ordered the iDevices Unit from Amazon. Hope that works for Home in iOS SDR over WAN 73 Mike
  • LEANDRO CABEZAS
    edited March 2019
    while on the subject I purchased Idevice smart plug and works really nicely with the homekit in smartsdr. The only issue I have is the name which I gave each smart plug is not showing up in the Homekit in smartsdr. Just generic names eg: "Idevices switch" does anyone know how to remedy this situation?

Thanks
    Leo

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.