Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flexradio signature VHF UHF transceiver.

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
Does Flex have plans to make a VHF UHF radio. I know you can use a transverter but having a designated Flexradio for VHF UHF would be great.  

Answers

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I don't know about a new whole new radio but a 2m / 70cm transverter to go with the 6000 series would be cool!
  • Alan WA4SCA
    Alan WA4SCA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The problem with conventional transverters is that they only cover 2 or perhaps 4 MHz.  Marginally OK on 2 meters, but inadequate for 70 cm if you have wide interests.  The VU5K was great in that it gave you full coverage of both bands.  Don't see Flex doing this, but it would be great if someone like DEM would work with them and come out with a full coverage transverter package.  And while we are dreaming, an additional transverter output for other bands, as did the VU5K.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It would be nice but my guess is there wouldn't be enough demand to make it worth the developmental effort for FRS.  Consider the situation with the VHF/UHF module for the Flex 5000.  The effort wasn't replicated for the 6xxx series.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Maybe the Flex 6800 will have 491.52 Msps and cover through 70cm without a transverter.  
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Now that would be very nice!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ... it would be great if someone like DEM would work with them and come out with a full coverage transverter package.
    That would be really attractive personally.  In all honesty one worries that they will buy a bunch of pricey gear that just doesn't quite work right or play well with each other, especially if you do not have somebody to elmer you through the learning curve.

I'd be really happy to buy "satellite kits" of stuff known to work well - maybe a series of kits like:

• Basic Transverter Kit
    • Multi-Band Transverter Kit
    • Basic Satellite Software Kit
    • Portable Antenna Kit (or an Omni Antenna Kit - something to get you going)
    • Antennas with Az-El Rotator with Software Kit(s)
    • and so on....

I could see myself buying in, and then buying upwards as I learned & mastered each "kit" - provided I can replenish my radio fund quick enough.

Would be excellent if FRS endorsed the packages after some basic quality checks, even if they didn't sell them directly at FRS's store.  

Basically I'd be willing to pay the going rate if I knew I wasn't in the dark buying gear that just doesn't quite work well or lacks the expansion to be a long term part of the shack.

Now if each kit came with tutorials and resources... yeah!!

Steve
    K9ZW

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Here is a dream... That one day maybe FRS or someone could make an ad-on dual transverter made just for SmartSDR and the 6000 series radios.

I could see this as a FlexRadio Exclusive product. Maybe called a “SmarTransverter”?

These would be just a few of the basic features that would be important to me.

- A true Dual Wide Band smart transverter that is designed just for the 6000 series flex radios and SmartSDR.

- Minimum 75 to 100W RF Output @ %100 duty cycle.

- Made to look like the rest of the current 6000 radio line and also the ability to rack mount.

It’s OK to dream a little.;)

• Tony WV2C
    Tony WV2C Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would be happy if FRS built the radio with vhf/uhf coverage installed just like they did for 6 meters. Look how many Icom 746's and TS2000'S were sold.
  • Francesco Doenz
    Francesco Doenz Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just got an IC-9700 and was thinking if only Flex had a VHH-UHV transceiver with the same user friendlyness as the 6000 series...the Icom is technically fantastic, but has a long way to go to be on a par with a Flex for user friendlyness and support!!
  • Francesco Doenz
    Francesco Doenz Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just got an IC-9700 and was thinking if only Flex had a VHH-UHV transceiver with the same user friendlyness as the 6000 series...the Icom is technically fantastic, but has a long way to go to be on a par with a Flex for user friendlyness and support!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.