Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex User (6300)

Santiago Mejia HI8O
Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Good night. I'm a new user of the Flex radios, having bought an excellent condition 6300. Still waiting for it to arrive in my home country. I'm pretty excited and looking forward to my entry into the world of Flex. I anticipate great things from my 6300 and also waiting to learn from everybody here.

Everything I've seen and heard about Flex is awesome, so I'm eagerly waiting, like a kid on Christmas morning.

My call is HI8SMX, from Dominican Republic and I operate mostly SSB and Digital, so if you ever hear or see me please call me.

HI8SMX, Santiago

Comments

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations on the purchase of your 6300. You are going to love it.
    You will get all the answers you need here! Welcome aboard!
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Santiago, welcome to the flex family. I have owned a lot of different radios in my time as a ham and I think many here will agree that the Flex platform is the best radio I have ever owned.

I currently own a 6300 and a 6600 and have also owned a 6500 and the flex radio has spoiled me.
    I think you will find the 6300 to be a great purchase and a great group of fellow hams here willing to help with any questions.

Lee
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Paul. Looking forward.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Lee. I've heard nothing but great things from Flex and from this community as well. I'm sure I'll be blown away by Flex and never look back. 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Welcome the world of Flex radios, Santiago. If this is your first SDR radio, you will soon see the difference. It is so easy to listen to (see, actually) multiple frequencies, and decode multiple digital signals of different types. You can be watching FT8 in one slice and JS8 or Olivia in another, or watch/listen to multiple bands with multiple panadapters. You will only be limited by your antennas. I use a low-noise multiple band receive antenna to listen to what I want, then transmit on a TX antenna with auto-tuner. Can’t do that on most knob radios! The 6300 has only one SCU (spectral capture unit / ADC), so all your receive slices will be using the same receive antenna. When you start using the radio, or planning for its installation, be sure to search the community for advice, and ask questions when you don’t find an answer.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ted. Indeed this is my first SDR radio, so I'm really looking forward to it. You can be sure that I'll put this community to work with questions jejejeje.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    As others said, congratulations, I'm certain you'll enjoy it, and the community here is very helpful. I hope it comes with Smart SDR 2.x, allowing you to operate it remotely from a laptop, tablet or iPhone - a feature that can be a lot of fun, and pretty unique among other Ham radios. I talk to everyone that can hear me, I hope I can hear you! See you on the bands, or here in the forums!
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations Santiago! Welcome to the Flex Community. You will have a great time with your 6300. I joined this community back in December last year and love my 6500 and Maestro. I will look for you on the band. Gene K1GD
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Welcome Santiago! Welcome to the Flex Rabble. You will have a lot of fun with your 6300. I joined this community back in 2013 year and love my 6300 That I use while traveling. I will look for you on the band. 

73 N5PSM  David
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Ken. Yes , it has version 2.5. Looking forward to exploring this world. Hope to copy you with it.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Gene. Hope to work you on the bands, using the Flex of course.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    David, thanks. I’m really excited as I’ve heard great things of the 6300. See you on the bands.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Welcome Santiago!

You will love your new radio!

Since you do digital, the first thing you need to know is that DAX which handles digital audio to/from the radio to other software makes your life easy.  However with Windows updates it can get messed up but is easy to fix.  

Since you do SSB you have to consider microphones.  One thing that Flex opens up for you is the ability to use a USB microphone that actually plugs into your computer as the audio input.

I use a Rode NT podcasting USB mic and the audio reports are amazing.

The only downside to use a PC/USB based mic is you cannot use the standard PTT connections for a footswitch.  But you can wire up a foot switch to connect through a serial port to key the radio.

All of this stuff is here on the forums, free for the searching.

Last thing I will say is that a Flex Radio is a different paradigm then conventional radios.  If you find yourself feeling frustrating because things don't feel like an Icom on the desk then post a note here.  It is a different radio but I think a much better radio!

Mark - WS7M
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Mark for the heads up. The radio includes the mic and the ATU so I’m pretty much set out of the box and W1HZ, have been quite helpful and have guided me in this preliminary phase. I know it will require a change of mindset from my part but the future looks promising. I have a feeling that this will only be my first Flex not the last and my main rig for the time to come. Hope to see you around.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Welcome Santiago!! We have each other in the log a few times but I do expect that to increase when your 6300 arrives. The Flex makes it so easy to do digital. While I have the 6700, I think the procedure is the same. I have no audio cables running from the flex to the PC, zero zip none. You don't need them and one less path for that dreaded RFI. Want to call cq on say FT8 and watch videos at the same time? No problem at all. I am so very excited for you!! Welcome to the future of amateur radio.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks John. Yes I see you here in my log. Hopefully next time we speak I’m using my 6300.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Gracias Santiago,
    Since you are doing so well in English, I will keep my comments in the same language.
    As an expatriate of the D.R., I like to welcome you to the Flex Radio family. 
    I sincerely hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have for the last 19 plus years. 
    Please do not hesitate to place your questions on this forum; where answers are in abundance.
    Good luck with your 6300.
    73's Ernest (Prieto y Garcia) 
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Gracias Ernest. For what I’ve seen and heard this forum will be a big help for me while I enter this world. My expectations are quite high and I’m confident I’ll enjoy it pretty much. Un abrazo, coterráneo.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Santiago;

I was in Puerta Plata in April this year. Enjoyed it very much. Welcome to the FLEX universe.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited July 2019
    Thanks John, glad you liked Puerto Plata. Is a very beautiful part of our country. 73.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.