Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex radios at Dayton this year

Manuel Maseda
Manuel Maseda Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Anyone want to speculate on what new radio Flex will introduce this year? I’m betting on a replacement for the 6700.

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I think a 6700M .... the Maestro can be replaced by an iPad
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A series of 6000’s for vhf/uhf with 1 or 2 SCU’s for full duplex satellite and terrestrial work. Perhaps with 144,430,1200 bands and transverter outputs from each band for use on microwaves....can you imagine SO2R on 144/432 during the contest?
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Software dont pay the bills ... the hardware sales pay the bills ... everyone prioritizes and chases the dollar ... software not so much.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    220 and 900mhz too!
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Flex 1500 replacement.
  • David Kowell
    David Kowell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    that is what I want vhf uhf  1.2 gig flex radio
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would like to see a set of smart antenna devices like wireless rotor controls, relay boxes, 4 square controllers, steppir controllers etc which are integrated into the Flex ecosystem.

73  W9OY
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'd like to see the current hardware "in inventory" before more "stuff" is released.  Old before new.  I also agree the software should be stabilized further first.  PGXL, antenna tuner, antenna switch, lets get the basics done before more is added to an apparently full platter.
    Peter
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am betting on a 6100 that puts out 5 watts and has a smaller form factor than the current rigs. Price around $750. Also a 6200 that is a stripped down version of the 6400. It would have a lot fewer port options on the back panel and would be more like the old 3000 verses the 5000. Only 1 antenna port and no transverter ports. Price around $1250. Why else would Flex leave the names 6100 and 6200 unused unless they had plans for future rigs? But then I could be wrong too!
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would guess they have a few hardware engineers who don't know how to write software? They could invent without hindering software improvements.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    $200.00 upgrade prices should pay a few bills? That's what is keeping from buying a used 6300 at this time which is good as I really want to save up for a 6400.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The $200.00 barely scratches the surface, but it does help offset the cost of software development. As wayne said, they would make very little on software if any at all.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I too agree that more should be done to solidify the software for current line of products. The flagship 6700 still does not have any calibration for 2m. Each time I go to 2m I have to manually set the XIT/RIT. It's an embarrassment when I forget, "oh you have the best Flexradio available and they haven't got 2m working proper yet"? Please at least have the capability to save RIT/XIT setting for 2m. As much as am a fan of Flexradio, that is my pet peeve. Adjustable diversity for the 6400/6700s would be another desired enhancement. Adding the capability to select antenna settings on the AG from SmartSDR and Maestro. There are plenty more fixes and suggestions others have made too.
    I don't Flexradio will or should break the $1000 price barrier. So much cost cutting would have to be done, housing, components, software and there will even more competition for the low end SDR market. May never be able to recover the development costs of that lower end product. I think they have positioned themselves quite good, mid to high end SDR market, but you never know. The 6800 or whatever the replacement of the 6700 will be, is more likely the direction they will be going. To separate it from the 6400 it will have to have 144/432 internal and/or some other features such as ROD, rotator on demand. Yes I just made it up, but they had been developing something related. I vision an external box connected to SmartSDR via ethernet to interface to common rotators controllable via SmartSDR/Maestro. Like the tuner it should be able to at the base of a tower via relays to directly control rotators, or in the shack interfaced to common rotator control boxes. On second thought maybe ROD isn't a good name after all, as some of will be playing with it.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Why don't you use DDUTIL to write a macro to set the offset for 2 meters?  I have a macro that sets XIT to +2 khz (since I generally work LSB low bands) for when I tune up.  After tuning he XIT automatically cancels.  
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good thinking Lee. Never used macros with DDUTil. Ok, did a quick review and just setup to invoke when 2m band selected to change freq, profiles so got that going but I don't see the macro in wiki for XIT, RIT. The wiki link is an incomplete list of commands ? I found the CatCommandReferenceGuide.pdf
    Got this macro working when I switch band to 2m:
    DD6TTP065; set power output for DEMI 2MLDPA
    ZZRT1; turn on RIT button
    ZZRF+00900; set RIT offset
    ZZXS1; turn on XIT button
    ZZXF+00400; set XIT offset

Thanks for the suggestion Lee, using DDUtil macros was much easier than it looks just was too lazy to learn I guess.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yep those are the commands.  you can toggle a button using DDTG command so you can toggle one button for + or - and another for off and on for simplex/repeater  You can also  add colors to the toggle to see which state you are in.

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Make sure you save the macro file once you get it set up.  I save mine to the cloud
  • Tony WV2C
    Tony WV2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would love to see a 2 meter transverter!

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I can't comment on what is coming obviously (I actually don't know, and if I did I couldn't say) but I do see some of the ideas here being viable products that should be made. The question is, when and what exactly.  I would love a portable QRP radio like the KX3 or McHF. Maybe with built in wifi. 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    An SDR headset?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    (I know nothing about what FRS have in the new product channel)

but I would hope a new QRP rig.  existing one is old tech, so that seems to make the most sense.  Something that is small, full featured and would have decent live on batteries and supported SSDR-W as a control interface.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My Flex Wishlist for Dayton:

QRP Flex (~$1000ish)
    -Built in tuner
    -Built in WiFi AP (for the iOS app)
    -Built in USB-C port (Internal USB -> Ethernet bridge)

SmartSDR Enhancements
    -Plugin
    architecture similar to Waveforms for USB connected devices (Just let me have a UI window as part of SmartSDR and send me the serial port data. I'll figure out what to do with it. We need to control station peripherals remotely!)
    -Remote Improvements (Fix the fragmented packets, Digital mode support)

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Perhaps a smaller amp, say 600w to bridge between the mother off all amps to something more affordable. I think this will be coming, the same as having different radio models.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    All our engineers can write software.  Even some of our support staff.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My wish is the PGXL gets sorted and is shipping immediately!
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You could get a Elecraft KPA500 now. 
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not reallytgey are back ordered and it won’t be as powerful or as well integrated.
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What does the KPA500 not do that you need. I use DDUTIL and it tracks the bands. You can also preset the power with DDUTIL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.