New Flex radios at Dayton this year

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
Anyone want to speculate on what new radio Flex will introduce this year? I’m betting on a replacement for the 6700.
Photo of Manuel Maseda

Manuel Maseda

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of AH0U

AH0U

• 239 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I think a 6700M .... the Maestro can be replaced by an iPad
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3843 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
A series of 6000’s for vhf/uhf with 1 or 2 SCU’s for full duplex satellite and terrestrial work. Perhaps with 144,430,1200 bands and transverter outputs from each band for use on microwaves....can you imagine SO2R on 144/432 during the contest?
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 448 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
220 and 900mhz too!
Photo of David Kowell

David Kowell

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
that is what I want vhf uhf  1.2 gig flex radio
Photo of Tony WV2C

Tony WV2C

• 31 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would love to see a 2 meter transverter!
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 243 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Seems to me the introduction of new hardware takes away from the speed of software enhancements.  From the operator perspective I think there is much more functionality improvement available via software development than with new hardware.  I could live with a year or two of no new hardware if the pace of software development increased significantly.
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 62 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I would guess they have a few hardware engineers who don't know how to write software? They could invent without hindering software improvements.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8947 Posts
  • 3379 Reply Likes
All our engineers can write software.  Even some of our support staff.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 222 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
My wish is the PGXL gets sorted and is shipping immediately!
(Edited)
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2198 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
Peter - keep your eyes on the newsletters for the latest updates. 
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 222 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I signed up for them and never get them. 
Photo of wayne suite

wayne suite

• 392 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Software dont pay the bills ... the hardware sales pay the bills ... everyone prioritizes and chases the dollar ... software not so much.
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 65 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
$200.00 upgrade prices should pay a few bills? That's what is keeping from buying a used 6300 at this time which is good as I really want to save up for a 6400.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2184 Posts
  • 514 Reply Likes
The $200.00 barely scratches the surface, but it does help offset the cost of software development. As wayne said, they would make very little on software if any at all.
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 194 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Eventually no one will want the hardware if the software is still lacking. This is SOFTWARE Defined Radio, after all!
Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 276 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes

With every new hardware invention the software looks more and more underfunded and unloved. The Flex 63/6500 is now obsolete hardware yet the software hasn't come close to maturity yet.

I like Flex The company, I love Flex The hardware, However, The software leaves me cold.

So much more can be done to make it sing from the rooftops, and in doing so it would beat the best at pretty much everything we could ask of it. Let's hope SSDR doesn't become the achilles heel of Flex.

Photo of Joe  N9VX

Joe N9VX

• 39 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Flex 1500 replacement.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I would like to see a set of smart antenna devices like wireless rotor controls, relay boxes, 4 square controllers, steppir controllers etc which are integrated into the Flex ecosystem.

73  W9OY
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 224 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I'd like to see the current hardware "in inventory" before more "stuff" is released.  Old before new.  I also agree the software should be stabilized further first.  PGXL, antenna tuner, antenna switch, lets get the basics done before more is added to an apparently full platter.
Peter
Photo of Zack Schindler

Zack Schindler

• 60 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I am betting on a 6100 that puts out 5 watts and has a smaller form factor than the current rigs. Price around $750. Also a 6200 that is a stripped down version of the 6400. It would have a lot fewer port options on the back panel and would be more like the old 3000 verses the 5000. Only 1 antenna port and no transverter ports. Price around $1250. Why else would Flex leave the names 6100 and 6200 unused unless they had plans for future rigs? But then I could be wrong too!
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 324 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
I too agree that more should be done to solidify the software for current line of products. The flagship 6700 still does not have any calibration for 2m. Each time I go to 2m I have to manually set the XIT/RIT. It's an embarrassment when I forget, "oh you have the best Flexradio available and they haven't got 2m working proper yet"? Please at least have the capability to save RIT/XIT setting for 2m. As much as am a fan of Flexradio, that is my pet peeve. Adjustable diversity for the 6400/6700s would be another desired enhancement. Adding the capability to select antenna settings on the AG from SmartSDR and Maestro. There are plenty more fixes and suggestions others have made too.
I don't Flexradio will or should break the $1000 price barrier. So much cost cutting would have to be done, housing, components, software and there will even more competition for the low end SDR market. May never be able to recover the development costs of that lower end product. I think they have positioned themselves quite good, mid to high end SDR market, but you never know. The 6800 or whatever the replacement of the 6700 will be, is more likely the direction they will be going. To separate it from the 6400 it will have to have 144/432 internal and/or some other features such as ROD, rotator on demand. Yes I just made it up, but they had been developing something related. I vision an external box connected to SmartSDR via ethernet to interface to common rotators controllable via SmartSDR/Maestro. Like the tuner it should be able to at the base of a tower via relays to directly control rotators, or in the shack interfaced to common rotator control boxes. On second thought maybe ROD isn't a good name after all, as some of will be playing with it.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Why don't you use DDUTIL to write a macro to set the offset for 2 meters?  I have a macro that sets XIT to +2 khz (since I generally work LSB low bands) for when I tune up.  After tuning he XIT automatically cancels.  
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 324 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Good thinking Lee. Never used macros with DDUTil. Ok, did a quick review and just setup to invoke when 2m band selected to change freq, profiles so got that going but I don't see the macro in wiki for XIT, RIT. The wiki link is an incomplete list of commands ? I found the CatCommandReferenceGuide.pdf
Got this macro working when I switch band to 2m:
DD6TTP065; set power output for DEMI 2MLDPA
ZZRT1; turn on RIT button
ZZRF+00900; set RIT offset
ZZXS1; turn on XIT button
ZZXF+00400; set XIT offset

Thanks for the suggestion Lee, using DDUtil macros was much easier than it looks just was too lazy to learn I guess.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Yep those are the commands.  you can toggle a button using DDTG command so you can toggle one button for + or - and another for off and on for simplex/repeater  You can also  add colors to the toggle to see which state you are in.

(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Make sure you save the macro file once you get it set up.  I save mine to the cloud
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2198 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
I can't comment on what is coming obviously (I actually don't know, and if I did I couldn't say) but I do see some of the ideas here being viable products that should be made. The question is, when and what exactly.  I would love a portable QRP radio like the KX3 or McHF. Maybe with built in wifi. 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2175 Posts
  • 510 Reply Likes
An SDR headset?
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 770 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
(I know nothing about what FRS have in the new product channel)

but I would hope a new QRP rig.  existing one is old tech, so that seems to make the most sense.  Something that is small, full featured and would have decent live on batteries and supported SSDR-W as a control interface.
Photo of AE0MW

AE0MW

• 96 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
My Flex Wishlist for Dayton:

QRP Flex (~$1000ish)
-Built in tuner
-Built in WiFi AP (for the iOS app)
-Built in USB-C port (Internal USB -> Ethernet bridge)

SmartSDR Enhancements
-Plugin
architecture similar to Waveforms for USB connected devices (Just let me have a UI window as part of SmartSDR and send me the serial port data. I'll figure out what to do with it. We need to control station peripherals remotely!)
-Remote Improvements (Fix the fragmented packets, Digital mode support)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2184 Posts
  • 514 Reply Likes
Perhaps a smaller amp, say 600w to bridge between the mother off all amps to something more affordable. I think this will be coming, the same as having different radio models.
Photo of Zack Schindler

Zack Schindler

• 60 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
You could get a Elecraft KPA500 now. 
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 224 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Not reallytgey are back ordered and it won’t be as powerful or as well integrated.
Photo of Zack Schindler

Zack Schindler

• 60 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
What does the KPA500 not do that you need. I use DDUTIL and it tracks the bands. You can also preset the power with DDUTIL.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 224 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
It’s not 2kw
Photo of Zack Schindler

Zack Schindler

• 60 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The post that I was replying to was talking about a 600w amp that he would like Flex to sell.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2184 Posts
  • 514 Reply Likes
I know the KP500 is there, but if Flex made a smaller amp I would buy that over an KP500,  Zack when I suggested a small Flex amp, I considered there were others around as well.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2198 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
What does the KPA500 not do that you need. I use DDUTIL and it tracks the bands. You can also preset the power with DDUTIL.

Sometimes you want the ability  to not to have to use DDUtil. Controlling DDUtil is also kind of hard when you're on a smartphone. Compare that to the PGXL experience on iOS. I have an "amp" panel where I can turn the amp on/off and monitor SWR, power, temp from in one window. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 324 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
My understanding is that the PG tuner will be able to be located at the base of the tower. Some other huge features and like Ria pointed out you won't have to use DDUtil. Haven't researched the Elecraft amp enough to comment any further.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2184 Posts
  • 514 Reply Likes
While it is true you can use almost any amp on the Flex, there is no getting away from the fact that having a Flex amp made for a Flex radio has many advantages you won't have with anything else.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3843 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
Yes, Bill, .... a "PGXL Jr."  ... same integration and ease of interface, but with half the power.  That would interest a lot of people.  I would LOVE a PGXL but I would need to take a loan against my car to do it at the moment !
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 497 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Like . . .
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2198 Posts
  • 849 Reply Likes
"Power Genius Mini"

1KW out (single LDMOS). No SO2R, but all of the other goodies - MEffA, ethernet, etc.

Light like the SPE 1.3K-FA for travel.

That would interest some people.
Photo of KB4OIF

KB4OIF

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Would love a PGXL Jr/Mini.  600 to  1 kw.  My budget can't take the price of the current one.  
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 224 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Could you expand on that?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2184 Posts
  • 514 Reply Likes
As I think of it, maybe there are no reasons to buy a Flex amp, perhaps others that know the amp better then I could chime in.
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 770 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
I have a KPA500 (currently sitting on the floor), a 2Kfa  and a PGXL in test.  Here are some thoughts (or reasons to buy)  the Flex PGXL

1. Its a natural fit for the flex 6600-6700.  it fully supports the same SO2R functions, in one box.  Rather than 2 transceivers and 2 amplifiers, one of each does the job, and very well.  It fully tracks band and mode data for 2 slices simultaneously, and is instantly ready for use.  

2.  Full power -  the 2kfa peels back power to mid level at RTTY/keydown duty cycle.  this includes FT8.  the PGXL handles these modes as full power, no problem.

3. Cable reduction and simplification.  The PGXL only requires a lan cable on the same network to interface with a flex 6000 series radio.  this includes keying the amp and band mode tracking.  This significantly reduces the cabling needed for the KPA500 and E2KFA.

4. lightweight full power.  Its weight is similar to a KPA500, but it puts out full legal limit.

I have basically fully retired my KPA500 and relpaced it with the PGXL.  it is now my backup amp.  If I want lower power I reduce the drive.    Any low power flex/4o3a amp would have the most value if it supported the same dual band so2r functions IMO.  Im not sure a lower power would be significantly cheaper for that reason.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2162 Posts
  • 508 Reply Likes
Not to mention all the future echo system features that would leave all other amps out of the picture.
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 208 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
What is echo?  Sorry new to some of this.
Peter
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2162 Posts
  • 508 Reply Likes
Sorry, it is the Flex system connectivity. Ecosystem...
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3843 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
eco-system = ecosystem (from ecology system) = the total environment in which a lifeform lives.

I think echo was a typo....

Technology designers are now drawing from biological terms to describe the complex interactions between parts of their engineering systems.

They are also using theological terms to describe marketing systems - e.g. someone may be a technology "evangelist" - i.e. someone whose job it is to help other people understand and adopt the new technology.  

It is kind of interesting how the different disciplines are adopting each other's terminology.  It reminds us of how interconnected everything actually is...

====end of sermon =====  LOL

Ken - NM9P
Photo of W2PP

W2PP

• 208 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I did chuckle Ken well done.  As a retired physician I appreciate that!
Photo of Roland Guidry

Roland Guidry

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would vote for a 2 meter transverter!
Photo of Tony WV2C

Tony WV2C

• 31 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
How great would that be!
Photo of KF3F

KF3F

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Agreed. That would be awesome.
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 497 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
It is going to be the new Flex X
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 395 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I am surprised with the FRS 2M talk.  I went looking for an antenna direct SDR replacement for our repeater with no success.  A (good, low noise) FM repeater would be nice but there doesn't appear to be a large market.
Here's hoping.