Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex owner here

N6OIL
N6OIL Member ✭✭
Just wanted to say hello to all, I just received my 6500 on Wednesday and got it up and running and oh my gosh this this rig is awesome compared to my IC-718 or 7000! Glad to finally be one of the boys! 73 N6OIL Rory

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016

I've had my 6500 for a couple years now and love it more than my faithful dog.

Jim, K6QE

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited June 2016
    Most awesome radio platform EVER!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Welcome to the Flex community Rory. Enjoy the new 6500 & any questions please feel free to ask...
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Hi Rory

My first flex was the 6300 and my gosh indeed .
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You know what really chaps my hide is that I'm at work and can't play radio. I need to figure out and IP solution beside TeamViewer. Time to search this forum.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    FYI.. I'm testing a rasbperry PI VPN server setup.... 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David let me know how that goes, I was thinking the same thing. Right now I have a PI running my weather station. Just wish I had the internet speeds at home like I have at work! On a good day 4-6Mb at home, 1Gb at work!
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Roy.. initial tests show positive results... one advantage I may have is I have FIOS here.. 75/75.. I just have to find the time to complete the setup and test it all out.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Eric I have been using two factor since it's been available, I hope I'm good. Thanks for the info.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Roy.. curious, what weather station are you running on your PIE?  been thinking about that little project as well.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David I have a Davis VantagePro2 with Meteohub software on the PI. I used to run it on windows box but was tired of having to replace it every time it died. I was using roadkill computers here from work. With the PI now it barely uses any power compared to SFF computer. 73 Rory
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Rory, I've read plenty of reports that 2fa TeamViewer accounts have been compromised. I use RDP on my Windows Machines, but I've ditched TeamViewer on my OSX boxes and have transitioned over to Chrome Remote Desktop. 
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Rory, I've read plenty of reports that 2fa TeamViewer accounts have been compromised. I use RDP on my Windows Machines, but I've ditched TeamViewer on my OSX boxes and have transitioned over to Chrome Remote Desktop. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well after a few days with **** in the chair playing radio I have found one thing that would be nice UI change, if when you click on the sliders lets say anywhere on the line that the level moves to that level and not have to drag the button. I'll have to post this in the ideas threads.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Rory

How would I know what value I'd be clicking on?

Have you discovered that clicking along the line, (in the slider trough) to the left or right of the control will increment/decrement by +1/-1 each time you click it. On my displays, it can be tricky to actually hit the trough sometimes. Selecting the control by clicking once directly on the slider knob, and then pressing page-up/page-down on the keyboard will also increment/decrement by 1, if you hold down the key it repeats. Also, the Home and End keys, can be used to jump the control to either minimum or maximum values. I find it easier to click on the slider knob than in the trough. If you've already discovered this technique, then I apologize for this post.

I haven't discovered a SmartSDR slider that this technique doesn't work on, although the vertical EQ sliders behave a little differently, in that they can also be incremented/decremented with the arrow keys.

I wish there were someway to retrigger the opening of the of the tooltip/setting balloon each time the control changes value, without having to maintain the mouse hover though, I don't know what may or may not be possibilities inside the Windows desktop environment. 

73, Jay - NO5J
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay, no I haven't discovered that yet, I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The reason I mentioned this at times I may be listening to slice A at a loud setting and I hear something on slice C that I want hear, so I could quickly click at the low end of the slider to pan down without muting it, that's what I'm after. Maybe its just me, I do this a lot at work when listening to Pandora and I get a phone call I just click on the low end and it goes there without my having to slide it which of course take more time. I'm sure I'll learn to adapt as they say "resistance is futile" To bad I won't get to play radio tonight heading off to end of school year BBQ. 73
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited June 2016
    I've been looking at the Davis units, but the thing holding me back is the fact that you have to buy their way overpriced software, and dongle.  

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Rory 
    If your just using L/R Audio panning to jump the audio from one slice to the other then selecting the balance slider and hitting either Home or End keys will do that. there are also more elegant ways of controlling what comes out of your speakers, but you'll need some 3rd party software and another gadget, in order to see/hear that magic. 

Frstack can be used to auto mute/unmute which ever slice is active. the settings is on the "radios" menu. and its labeled "On slice set mutes other slices" selecting a slice can also auto switch the active slice as the TX slice.
    Simply selecting that slice with a mouse click can auto switch both.

Another method, the one I use most of the time, requires the gadget and DDUtil. The Genovation ControlPad CP24 USB Virtual Serial keypad is a programmable keypad, that DDUtil can use for macro selection buttons, the same as if you clicked one of the DDUtil macro buttons, and clicking the keypad key will perform the macro without shifting the focus in windows to DDUtil.  You create macros in DDUtil to do just about any sort of magic you desire, (more macro commands are being added with every DDUtil release) and assign them to any of 46 keys out of the keypads 48 key selection possibilities. The lower right hand key is dedicated as a shift key that toggles between 2 sets of 23 keys. I have one key on the keypad programmed so that each key press switches to the "next" available slice, makes it the active slice for transmit, and FRstack auto mutes the non-active slice. with 2 slices it just toggles from one to the other. One key press and I avoid all the focus shifting mouse clicks.

FRstack can be downloaded here ...
    http://www.mkcmsoftware.com/download/FRStackSetup.exe

The correct model of keypad for use with DDUtil, is this one ...
    http://store.genovation.com/programmables/cp24-usbhid-68.html
    That model is required, and there are several models. You can find them for sale online for cheaper prices. but often they don't specify the exact model, this one works, the others don't so be careful if/when you decide to give this a try. You have to have the model that does "both" USB and Virtual Serial.

DDUtil is available at ...
    http://k5fr.com/binary/DDUtil32400_Setup.zip
    on the DDUtil Wiki website at ...
    http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    The Wiki serves as an online manual for DDUtil. Studying the Wiki will explain in detail what I'm going on about. And you can also learn about all the other tricks DDUtil is capable of. 

I consider FRstack and DDUtil to both be indispensable/essential 3rd party applications when operating a Flex-6XXX model rig using SmartSDR. 

The software is free, the keypad is reasonably priced IMHO.

73, Jay - NO5J

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ahh.... Welcome to the world of the FRS 6000 series. You do know that it is a one-way-street! I've had my 6500 for a while now, recently supplemented by the Maestro, and I couldn't imagine going back to a traditional rig now! I've got a whole heap of Elecraft KX3 kit and accessories but it is the Flex that I turn to each and every time! My only regret is that my personal situation precluded me buying a 6700 but I'm very content with the 6500 and with the Kuhne Transverters plugged into it - oh, and the D-Star dongle as well! Once again, welcome - you'll never go back!! David G4NRT
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Roy,
             so at this time I have a VPN running at home and can access it remotely, looks like I can see all systems I have setup... still have to do further testing but I think this is going to work.  Here is the VPN server software I am using in the PIE..  http://www.pivpn.io/

73's

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.