Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex items at the Hamvention?

N8FNR
N8FNR Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So did Flex introduce anything new at the Hamvention?

Asking for a friend...

Zack N8FNR

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    No new hardware,  But the folks at the FlexRadio Banquet received a sneak peek at SmartSDR v2.3

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2018
    Oh Sure . . . . Tease us with v2.3 . . . When can we get our hands on it???
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cool! No new rigs but I do get a "new" 6400 once 2.3 is released.

N8FNR
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    As always, hardware or software... it'll be ready when it's ready.  V2.2 was just released a few days ago, so...
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited July 2018
    Yaesu is introducing a new SDR rig, the FTdx-101D. ;-) Looks like more competition in the marketplace, which is always good for consumers.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Can't find the price

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    And Yaesu leads the way with a DVI output for a monitor!! Wait!! Forgot this is 2018 when HDMI rules!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    When it is complete and we have finished alpha testing and it meets our quality standards to release.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim is it true that the new software will turn on your house lights, open your garage door and start your morning coffee???
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited May 2018
    DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible and require a simple passive adapter to go between them. And for a whopping $3.33 you can get a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other from Monoprice,

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2661&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yY5t2vfdc3bSADGjVsoZuT... 
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    Tim, any chance of an improvement in the ANF?
    James
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sorry, Icom already took that with the DVI on the 7610 so yeasu takes 2nd place and when your not the lead dog ... well you know the rest :-)
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Wow!  That Yeasu FTDX-101D looks great! I'm impressed!
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Is this first peek at multi-client capability?
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited May 2018
    I think Yaesu took some design cues on styling from the latest Flex 6400...bigger boxes gotta be better right?   Well yes as long as you are designing a bread bin.

The spec on the 101D look pretty good though. Now that both Icom and Yaesu are in the game the SDR market is going to get very interesting.

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I sure hope so. :) 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim, do you know if the Flex 6600M can send AUDIO out the HDMI port to the TV set?? I was looking at the menus and dont see anything like this?? Did resize the display so now my 50" TV Set screen is full from left to right. Could this be a future software release or is it hardware limited???

Robert
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I am more curious what Kenwood will unveil??  The Yaesu reminds me of my FT-991 radio.
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited May 2018
    Kenwood's recipe for the TS-890S: take the TS-990S, remove the second receiver, the secondary display, and about half the knobs/buttons and cram the remainder into a box about 3/4 the size of the 990.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I saw the Video on YouTube, also the new Yaesu radio as well.. Looks like every other radio.. Nice additions to the radio community..   Time will tell how well they are accepted by the Ham Community.. I have NEVER owned a Kenwood Radio of any kind,, Yaesu was first, Icom was second for 25 years, but now Flex is First, with no second or third choices...

Robert
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    How disapointing Kenwoods new ts890 is NOT an SDR just old technology .... :-(
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    Lots of question in this as comments.  Let me address them

Robert - no, but the expresso maker update is coming soon ;-)
    No, it cannot send audio out of the HDMI port.  The audio is not processed by the display.

James - Unless you are Steve or Gerald, no one else in the company can discuss whether or not a particular issue will or will not be in a specific release.  We do JIT release planning, so I don't even know what the product management team is thinking of.  I have looked at what we have committed for v2.3 and I do not see it on the list. 

K3SF - MultiUser is a feature we have committed to doing in SmartSDR v2.  But regarding specifics, my answer is the same as the one I provided James above.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim, I think this device will allow me to send Flex Audio to my external HDMI TV Set..  Since the Flex HDMI stream has no audio, need to verify this will work..

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-BlackbirdTM-HDMI-Audio-Inserter/dp/B01B5FR7PY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UT...

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    I see no reason why that shouldn't work
  • MarkN7MHB
    MarkN7MHB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tim Do we get the same sneak peak when Flex shows up at Sea-Pac?

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Tim.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    Mark - I'm not sure if they will be running the 2.3 alpha code at Sea-Pac or not.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    James - thanks.  I wish I had a better answer for you.  I'll keep advocating for the ANF fix.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    When I asked about the ftdx101d architecture, the answer was it is a hybrid. Still older front end architecture, sdr for the display. No printed spec sheets yet..... Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.