Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New FLEX competitor?

2»

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am just being devil's advocate here. In the case of PSDR, yes, you are absolutely correct, being able to update your 'radio' (as the PC is your radio) is crucial.

However, with SSDR upgrading your display is irrelevant to the speed of the radio software as it is self contained. So, independent of what your PC is now if running SSDR the GUI leaves you with an aggregate cpu rate of <99% you have available processor. The gating factor is the speed of arriving UDP packets which doesn't come close to 1Gbs the nic is likely capable of. I believe Steve or Gerald said the Maestro's 100Mbs nic was because even at that, there was plenty of available bandwidth.

No need for a Gbs nic. One can't display the data faster than it is being sent by the black box. I believe it was in 1.4.x that FRS changed how the incoming data from the radio was handled and consequently dramatically lowered the minimum control surface processing speed requirement. I am seeing under 10% CPU utilization.

Something to consider.
  • Paul Bradbeer
    Paul Bradbeer Member
    edited June 2016
    David, That's the route I've gone down (6500 and deposit on Maestro). To be honest I think we've hit the sweet spot of specification and 'usable' functionality.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The sweet spot in **** for the buck.  The price delta to the 6700 is too high IMHO, especially for those of us who principally just want a second hardware receiver.  
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    It only stand to reason that the folks that were able to produce an HT that was 20% the cost of their Japanese counterparts by using a few dollar sdr microprocessor would bust into the HF SDR market with the same methodology.. Quality and support will be the differentiators.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Was not considering the display other then the fact of size/space to work with, with FLEX I'm not limited, this I would be... i.e. one monitor, one HDMI port off back
    FLEX I can have as may monitors as I wish, provided the PC I build will accommodate them, nothing to do with "speed"
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

The SUNSDR MB-1 is a 4th Generation Direct Sampling SDR in a Box... it's been around for at least 2 years.. I played with their demo units at Friedrichshafen 2014/2015. very nice compact design..   It has a built in i5 Windows 8 Computer inside the box.   But only 2 receivers

I agree with Barry.. it's what the IC-7300 should have been to be competitive with even the Flex.6300.

Their purchase experience requires US $500 cash up front before they build one for you (so much for the Flex deposit for Maestro complaints)...

Software was nice but I preferred SSDR.. probably because I am more familiar with SSDR

Price point US$5,895 near a 6700 but nowhere the near the performance of the 6700.

Brochure is at http://media.sunsdr.eu/2015/06/MB1.pdf 

• Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited July 2017
    Overpriced Chinese Junk.  (the chinese are starting to get wise on pricing lately)   I am happy with my Flex.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Think you'll find it's Russian
  • Dale Neace
    Dale Neace Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Looks like a Ten Tec

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.