Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New FLEX competitor?

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
New to me, but found this  http://eesdr.com/en/

Looks like an SDR in the traditional knobs and buttons box, CPU, etc....  

Thoughts?  

David

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    They have been around. Another SDR company like Apache Anan and a couple others.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Looks like a nice rig but it's pricey ($5500), needs to be pre-ordered and has no support in USA.  I've been following it for the past two years.  There are many youtube videos.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Flex + Maestro in one box?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That is more like what I thought Icom was going to come out with.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    no competitor for Flex ... i love my Flex for ever ;) 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Great to see the marketplace evolving towards SDR. Best innovation in radio design in decades.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think Icom is working on a radio like this right now.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Didn't flex do this years ago with the 1000..ie built a computer and sdr into one box, ok no knobs but what happens when the i5 is obsolete..mind you the wee sunsdr2 is nice, i have one on loan at the minute but I think I still prefer the Flex because of the support and 3rd party applications like ddutils to control the rest of the station.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is the IC-7300. There are several YouTube videos and the product spec sheet is out.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have two Russian friends.  Great people, nice guys.  However I could not even conceive of trying to get tech support on something so complex as SDR from Russia.

I realize they don't support US yet but I'm sure they probably will if their product goes well.  But think about Tim and FRS and how easy it is to talk to experienced users and for virtually all of us in the US, (like you George...) shipping our Flex units back for TLC is at worst a couple week ordeal.

Could you imagine applying DC to the antenna on that thing?   You'd be out of a radio for months.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Agreed. But that was bound to happen. Totally inevitable. Nobody would turn down the chance to use a round wheel when somebody had the idea of taking the corners off a square one, hi hi. I don't know who invented the concept, but Flex can be only part, maybe a small one, of the whole SDR ecosystem.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Great point, well made. I do worry when I see a poor standard of English on sites that try to expand internationally. I am sure that there are many native speakers that could proof read the site. If one assumes that the best English speaker was used to write the site, I would expect trying to communicate with support would be difficult to say the least.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Agreed.  I've dealt with foreign support done right and the right way is an English speaking (or other language too) intermediary with enough power to solve issues, issue RMA, expedite things.

It will never work if they try to learn enough English, French, German or Asian languages to do it themselves.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It is apparently available outside the US. I suspect it will be available with the pre-Dayton offerings from everybody.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    NO, not the 7300, I'm talking about a high-end direct-sampling radio with a high resolution display!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ohhhh, Mark! DC to ANT? That hurt ;-)

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Is this Sun radio direct sampling?
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    what happens when the i5 is obsolete
    I don't think that's necessarily a valid quesiton.  The cpu is dedicated to running the SDR control software.  It will continue to perform that function going forward.  Any radio made in the past 25 years has microprocessor(s) inside and the radios continue to work just fine despite those chips being long obsolete.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    :-) sorry George but you were the latest person to take advantage of FRS TLC and the fact that you got an answer on what to do the same day speaks volumes of why we own FRS units.

When I finally meet you I'll buy you a coffee or a **** to make up for this!  :-)
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is available in the UK for GBP4,600 (if you include the ATU).

For myself, I have never had any regrets about deciding to go down the FRS route, and I did consider this radio as well as others from India and elsewhere.

David G4NRT
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ David G4NRT

If I had that sort of dosh to throw at a rig, I would have bought a higher specced Flex. That the Flex is made in the USA was a big plus for me, so much so that I did not consider other SDR rigs. Native English speaking tech support too was just icing on the cake.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Couldn't agree more Guy! I just wish that I could have stretched to a 6700 but I only just managed to afford a 6500 + reserve for a Maestro!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    While I agree with you Barry, so long as the original I5 is not fried but once the chip is fried and the I5 is no longer made....I haven't bothered to check but is the 8085 still in production? I built a Heathkit Computerized Weather Station. I had the anemometer and wind vane at the top of my tower. It got hit several times and fried the main cpu chip inside the station box proper. No problem, I ordered another one, inserted, back in business. Eventually I couldn't find a replacement chip. Bye Bye Heathkit weather computer. Granted, that took awhile to happen but it did happen. My TS-530SP has a tube final. I think I'd be hard pressed to find a replacement if the current one goes. 
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Looks like 2 dealers in the US at this time:
    http://www.cheapham.com/
    http://nsiradio.com/SunSDR/

But as stated support would be a nightmare...

Looking at the back, I see HF (4), VHF(2), UHF(1) and what is this SHF????  new to me.. is that microwave?  All in one box??  I understand the reason for the 4 fans, betting this thing gets HOT

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your arguing that you should never buy a radio with an embedded LSI chip that might eventually fail because you might not be able to find a replacement part in the future when it fails?

What about the ADC and DSP chips in all these radios?  Doesn't the same argument hold for avoiding them?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No. Sorry, I was just making conversation. Who knows, maybe China will be making I5 (or Heath LSI) chips as long as any of us are alive.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yes
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For $5500, I'd expect to at least see a TRS (balanced) mic input and line in/out.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Im also in agreement with some... I like the idea of being able to upgrade my computer hardware as I see fit.. not just stuck with a particular processor.  from what I've seen you can run an additional screen off this, so that gives you two... one tiny and one of my choosing.. however right now I'm currently running 3 22' wide screens and for speed I'm running solid state hard drives (2), and I can upgrade whatever I want... this one would be stuck with what you get... 

Just some thoughts...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, nice concept.... but I love my FLEX... 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.