Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex 6300

KD0UHN
KD0UHN Member
I Ordered a 6300 today and was wondering if there we're any suggestions for reading, accessories etc.... I have a good power supply and an LDG Z11ProII ATU. The hard part will be waiting for the shippment.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

You can read until you have over-flexed yourself. But nothing can take the place of just playing with it and reading the manual when a question arises. Then, you are more focused on what the manual has to say.

Jim, K6QE

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    You will enjoy it. (I use the same ATU, earlier model. Works great.)  -Dave
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Make sure you have a computer with a very fast video card. Search video card on this community for suggestions
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The real accessories for a Flex are the constellation of programs you can connect to it.  

I use DDUTIL V3, SDR-Bridge, CWskimmer, DXlab suite (connected through DDUTIL), FRStack memory program, and FreeDV.  DXLab has a digi program built in but there are others available, and for contesting I use WriteLog connected through SDR-Lab.  There are other logging programs as well etc.  Maybe other users have other suggestions.

73  W9OY 
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    In my experience (1500, 3000, 6300) no special computer is required to put the 6300 on the air and get some solid experience with a slice or two. Using the latest FLEX software (which you will be) a mid range mobo with decent on board video works just fine to learn what it's all about. Then you can make future computer decisions based on experience. IMHO. Check the FLEX recommendations.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015

Would not hurt to be familiar w/

1) quick start guide http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-family-qsg-single-page-pdf/

2) smart sdr users guide http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/

Just treat it the same as ground school for your CitationX rating but no need for memorizing. Just be familiar for reference.

As was kinda previously mentioned the software interface is quite intuitive. My 6300 was my first sdr and ownership/use has been all positive.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I highly recommend either the FlexControl Knob, or getting one of the MIDI controllers and using the program the William has written. You can search for CMD MIDI controller on this forum. It is a great addition. I have used a Hercules MP3 DJ LE controller with a modified version of the program and it works well.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good reading: this Community/forum. Search for topics such as creating a noiseless station; TX EQ settings; setting up you mike and transmit profiles; AGT-T settings, etc. read as much as you can about how the panadapter/panafall work; proper station grounding, etc. get familiar with the control settings and function as much as you can. This will all help, but the way the rig operates is pretty intuitive, but the rest you really can't fully understand until you actually get your hands on the rig and play a while! Have fun, and congratulations.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I only purchased my Flex 6300 at Dayton this year (2015) and I took to it like a duck to water. I must admit I have only read the first half of the book. I do wish that I would have downloaded the manual and read the entire thing before I received the rig. After I received the radio I just would rather use it than read about it. 

Have a Ball with your new rig, remember exploring a new piece of equipment is the best part, if you knew everything about it the first day it would take some of the fun away.

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Join us on the Flex Radio IRC channel for realtime help on your new purchase!

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/-flexradio-irc-real-time-chat-discussion-support

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.