Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New controller for flex radio....

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I found this great device. Can anyone help me get it going on my 6500? Extra points to the first one who can identify it. Ken - NM9P image

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Intellivision Game Controller

Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner! We're showing our age, now!
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    Nope - Google Image search.

Morceau de gateaux!
    Stu K6TU
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm trying to picture how practical it would be tuning with that device Ken.  Personally I prefer my FlexControl and my large monitor. 

I was thinking something that would be really slick is if someone were to come out with a slightly wider FlexKnob with say... 6 or 8  programmable buttons, and above each button there was  a small backlit LED display to indicate which function the buttons are currently programmed for.  I'd buy a gadget like that in a split second! :)

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited August 2016
    I think its called Maestro...
    Stu K6TU

PS: Or you could go looking for the MIDI DJ Controller - I think there is already some code out there that uses this together with the API to the radio.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @stu ... Touché' @KF4HR... Try a MP3 DJ controller like the Behringer CMD Micro or PL1. There is software available in one of the threads here for them.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I had an intellivision and didn't have to google that.  I loved playing Tron on it back in the 80's.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You could start here and adapt it to a Raspberry Pi. Not far fetched at all.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    LOL! Someone's probably crazy enough to take this April Fool's joke and make it work, just to see if they could!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    We got one at a yard sale when I was a Jr high kid. Had a lot of fun with it...... Correct that...I was in college. Memory failing....
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I resemble that remark! 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When you get one going, please post the video! <grin>
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    an Atari paddle would work good also.. with the elegance of 2 buttons and a simplified interface.  Also may as well build pong as an option in the maestro.  maybe breakout also.
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    Brian Bedoe WD9HSY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken!

I have been looking at your posts from a few years back on Hercules DJ MP3 LE consoles.  As a 5000a user I have been using Tobais's (DH1TW) UI with my 5000a and PwrSDR.

Well I just had a 6300 dropped in my lap, I was wondering if anyone got something like that up and running with the 6300 and SmartSDR?

Thanks Brian WD9HSY
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    William and I had one working for a while.  Then he moved on to a Behringer CMD-1 Micro.  I started playing around with a Behringer PL-1. Both are really neat controllers.  

Here is a link tot he first thread about the Hercules.  It is lengthy and takes a lot of forks.  but you may be able to follow to the latest variety of software, and learn some things about programming along the way.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/hercules-midi-with-6300

One thread on the Behringer is here:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/behringer-cmd-micro-dj-midi-controller-for-use-with...

Eventually I got sidetracked by Easter plans (I'm a pastor) and my tower project, so I haven't done anything with either the Behringer or the Hercules for over two years.

There is still software available.  search the Community with he keywords "Hercules DJ"  or "Hercules Controller" and yo may find a link.  I had taken some of his ideas and applied them to the Herc.  But then I moved to the PL-1 and I don't think I ever back-ported it to the Herc.

There is a commercial source for flex controlling software that has an interface for several Midi controllers for the 6000.  

N4PY has Pegasus Plus software that ustilzes the Flex API and recently has incorporated a programmable MIDI controller interface.  I have not tried it, because I keep thinking that I will learn C# and write my own...  But his is good stuff.  You might want to check it out:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&...

There are probably others, too.  DogPark SDR for Mac is one.  I haven't paid much attention to many of the others.  Not because they aren't worthy, but because I'm not particularly in the market at the moment.

Good luck.

Ken - NM9P
  • wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited February 2017
    Ken NM9P

Any method to contact you outside of the forum?

I would like to chat with you about integration of several software packages and feature  that I believe you may be using with ur Flex.
    N3FJP logs, FLDIGI and CW Skimmer.

This is PeterV WB3FSR
    wb3fsr@comcast.net
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @peter. Mycall (at) yahoo (dot) com. I will be in and out this weekend. My wife's father has passed away and the funeral is this weekend. But I will try to answer questions as I can, when I can.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Definitely doable. I can probably do the python code in an hour or so :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.