New comcast Modem is it a problem TC8305C

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Comcast want to update my modem ( it works great ) with the new TC8305C. Is anyone using this one or is it a problem with the 6000 series? I hate to change something that is working so good with the Flex.
Thanks
Terry
Photo of Terry T

Terry T

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 58 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
If you can advoid a change I would not do it. It allows Comcast to use your modem and WiFi as a public portal. The one they gave me only works on 2.4 GHz. You will have to pay rental soon in the future. No benefit to you.

Bill
W9JJB
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 249 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Buy your own cable modem and never pay a fee. I was paying $10 a month for a Spectrum modem before I bought my own.
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 214 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
You should keep your old modem.  Let your neighbors be the public Wi-Fi- hotspots for Comcast, not you.

As far as purchasing your own modem - yes you can save the $10 monthly rental fee.  But for that fee you get something very important: The modem is Comcast's baby.  I can tell you that if you call Comcast with a problem, the first thing they will do is blame YOUR cable modem.  Then, your only solution is to buy a new one to prove to them that the original modem was OK, so now you're out the cost of TWO modems.  I would like to save that ten bucks a month, too, but I really feel it's good insurance.  Comcast owns the modem and any associated problems that may arise with it!

My Comcast cable modem is an older Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 model with VOIP telco capabilities, and my Flex 6300 and SmartLink work well with it.
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 77 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I agree that if its works dont brake it.  I have COX and own my own modem and router that I bought at Office Depot.  Over the years I have on occasion had issues.  Cox has never blamed my equipment. They have spent hours on the phone trouble shooting to track the problem.  I would think Comcast would do the same. 

roger
Photo of Terry T

Terry T

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info. I hate changing something that is working. I will pass on the upgrade.

Terry