Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 6500 owner

John VK3XM
John VK3XM Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
As a very new owner of a new Flex 6500 I have a number of questions,  1: What is the purpose of the buttons on the front of the rig?
2: I have a Pixel loop antenna separate from my TX ant. Is it possible to safety set this up for a general  RX Ant for a second panadaptor.
Thank for any help.  I don't have any other Flex users locally that I can ask.

Answers

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The up/down/left/right buttons are for future use.  They don't do anything right now.

The "OK" button is used to force a "factory reset".  Turn the radio off, press and hold down OK while pressing the power button to start the radio.  Continue to hold the OK button as a countdown is displayed on the front panel.  The radio will then reset all internal parameters to their default values.  All ATU settings, persistence data and profiles will be erased,

I'm no expert on the Pixel loop, but as I recall, the issue is that the antenna has a preamp located at the antenna, powered over the coax.  That preamp needs to be switched off during transmission to keep from frying it.  That's what I think I know, but again, it's outside my personal experience.

• Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited February 2017
    HI John,

I use a Pixel as a seperate RX antenna to the RX ant connection with my 6500 just set to RX ant and connect the TX control RCA on the back of the Flex to the Pixel so it switches off during TX. 

You might have to check if the TX outputs are enabled. I think they are by default

I don't know if that is clear enough let me know if I can help,
    Cliff VK2NP
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks guys fro the prompt replies.  I am sure that I will have more questions as I explore this Rig.
    JohnVK3XM
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

your Correct on the pixel loop  I run two pixel loops with a NCC-1 to help get rid of plasma tv noise and power lines and they are switched off on power during transmit.

Jerry, WA9UKB

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    John,
    I have a 6500 and a 1500 and a Pixel loop. Loop is switched out on TX to  protect the preamp.
    I have it on RXA and it is perfect for general RX. It is robust however and unaffected by accidental TX so far. You will find a few VK5 flexers around 3.6MHz and on 160m from time to time.
    Andrew de VK5CV
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi John,

Welcome to the FlexRadio!   All the above answers are 100% correct but I feel I should mention that the 6500 only has one spectral capture unit SCU.  I say this because of your statement about "separate slice".

This may not be an issue or a concern but since you are new to Flex do understand that if you have two slices open... or better yet, two pans open, each with a slice.  

Lets say pan1 is monitoring 40m and you have a slice at 7.050.  Pan 2 is monitoring 20m and you have a slice at 14.050.   If you attempt to change the RX antenna on EITHER slice the RX antenna will change for the other slice too.

This is simply due to having only 1 SCU.  the 6700 which is far more expensive does have two SCUs and is capable of diversity receive and simply put the ability to have once slice on one RX antenna and another slice on a difference RX antenna.
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you to all who responded to my questions.  I do however have a couple more on the same Pixel subject. What I am hoping to do is use my Ultrabeam on RF1 for general ham operation and use the Pixel for general SW listening.
    In all solutions, I note that I need to connect the PTT signal to the loop controller.
    1: If I connect the loop to the RF 2 in is there setting to insure that the rig cannot TX out that port?
    2: If I connect the Loop to the RXA port how do I select this on the rig?
    3: Is there any other or better way I can achieve the result I am looking for?
    Thanks and Merry Christmas from VK
    John Vk3XM
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    From what I figure John, you would connect the loop to the RXA in, so you dont accidentally transmit to it.  To select this, on the slice up the top, it says in blue, ANT1, ANT2, RXA and XVTR.  Select RXA.  The Antenna selections in red are for the transmit antenna, there is no RXA in that list.
    Others with more knowledge will chime in Im sure.
    Enjoy your 6500.  Ive had mine just over 2 years now, its been on everyday that im in the shack, and I will tell you its the best radio Ive owned.  You will prob never to back to a knob radio.  They also keep improving it with the software releases.

Cheers
    Wayne
    VK4ACN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.