Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 43" display and lack of resolution.

N6OIL
N6OIL Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So new display was added to the shack by Santa, but I'm lacking sharpness in my waterfall.
Here are the specs: HDMI fed at 1920x1080 max my card will do which is an AMD Radeon HD 5450 Display is a Vizio D43-E1. So whats needed here, new video card?

Answers

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A new video card won't help with that as the limiting factor is the resolution of the screen (1080p).

Now, a new video card would rock on a 43" 4K monitor, but with your current card and this new non-4K screen, all you've done is taken each of the pixels previously viewed on your smaller screen and blown them up to super gigantic pixels without adding any resolution.  In short, you've made your image appear less sharp because you've blown the size of the components (pixels) making up that image.  

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rory,

Your card can do much better than that res. What video ports re you using?
    Spec for your card:-
    • Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP11
      • Max resolution: 2560x160012

• Integrated DisplayPort output
      • Max resolution: 2560x160012

• HDMI® (With 3D, Deep Color and x.v.Color™)
      • Max resolution: 1920x120012

• Integrated VGA output
      • Max resolution: 2048x153612
    Note different ports on the GPU and on the TV have different video capabilities. Use DVI or DP at both ends if you can.

73 de Steve G1XOW

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That's what I was afraid of, wrong monitor for the job. Well, back in the box it goes and looking for a 4K display I go! Thanks for the input.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    good hdtv but lousy computer monitor....that size screen as a computer monitor needs to be either 4k or nexgen 8k..with multiple inputs to drive different segments of the screen

paul K3SF
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Sorry Rory, I did not check the max-res of your TV. K3DCW is spot on. You need a 4k TV really. I have the 43" Hisense 4k - good spec, good price. Provides 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7526305?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200217410|agid:1248820325...
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Actually, I now consider the 43" to be a little too big (can a man have too big?).

When I buy the next one I will go for a 39" inch 4k curved TV...because the corners are just too far away from me, and too small when used at max-res.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I use the 40 inch by iiyama. Also 4k. I had to rearrange desk to acomodate for the viewing angles.
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    FWIW: I purchased a 4K TV to use as a monitor and it really didn't perform well as a monitor.

Take a look at : https://www.itworld.com/article/2832687/consumerization/don-t-buy-the-hype-on-using-a-4k-tv-as-a-com...

Lew
    N4CO
  • Chuck Smith
    Chuck Smith Member
    edited December 2017
    I studied this at length and determined that you want HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.4 to support 4K at 60 Hz refresh rate. Current setup is a Phillips BDM4350 43" Monitor, Dell 2407 24" Monitor in Portrait mode and NVIDA GTX 960 display card. All working beautifully with SmartSDR, CW Skimmer, WSJT-X and DX4WIN. The Phillips is a true 43" monitor not a TV (No TV tuner, not needed) Has HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 IO. I run CW skimmer in the 24" Dell in portrait mode giving me more than the typical 10 Khz of band coverage. I have this setup for about a year and been pretty happy with it.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When I was still active on HF, I went with a 4k 55" TV.   Just make sure that the TV you buy offers chroma 4:4:4 @ 60hz in 4k (a must have).  It is like having four 27" 1080p screens.  Some folks may think 55" is too big, but it seemed just perfect for me.  You can have your digital program, SmartSDR, logging, cwskimmer and internet all up at the same time.  I had a 40" but it seemed just a tad too small so went with a 55".  It also makes for an excellent gaming monitor.   I also occasionally watch a Netflix movie on it.

Norm
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If you decide to go with a 4k, you may want to read this:

http://viewfinderdesign.co.uk/archive/757/running-a-4k-screen-using-a-radeon-hd-5450/

It will at least get you started and you can then upgrade the card at a later date if you decide you like 4k. 

I'd never go back to 1080p for anything.

Norm

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Great info Norm, that is the same video card that I'm running. I'll give it a go when I get a 4K. Now I'm back to my 2 HP LA2405wg displays running at 1920x1200.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Norm - tnx for that information.  I remember reading about this awhile back but for the life of me couldn't find that spec you mentioned.  Do you have any idea what that Chroma spec means?

I'm curious what video card you use.  KF4HR
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited December 2017
    "I'd never go back to 1080p for anything."  I wonder what the ic-7610 folks are goin.  Their output to the monitor is the pits vs Flex.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    1920 x 1200 is the best you can do not matter what monitor resolution you set.
  • Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    Brian Bedoe WD9HSY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Rory, I got tired of fighting with 4 - 23" Monitors and switched over to one 4k 43" Acer (My xmas present to myself) ..... At 4k Resolution the type was to small to read on such a big monitor!!

I switched the resolution down to 2560 x 1440 (from 3960 x 2160) and all is fine with plenty of real estate and a lot easier to read

73 Brian WD9HSY

(PS ... This is a 4k Monitor, not a HDTV)

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    My opinion is that you have something else going on here. I base that on I'm using a 8 year old 1080 52 inch TV with a not so special AMD Radeon HD6450 video card and 1920X1080 resolution. My waterfall looks nothing like what you have posted and looks fine to me.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    All the replies about monitors, TV, resolutions etc are great but do not address your problem.
    Based entirely on your first posting image the problem is NOT the display.
    Notice the spectrum display is sharp but the source signal is moving with time.
    This is an EMI situation, which if it just started, may still be the TV but its internal electronics not the display. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.