Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need to purchase a new pc. Any suggestions from the 6500 owners? Desire plenty of headroom for the

Howard K2AQ
Howard K2AQ Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    While SSDR works on a netbook with limited horsepower, I am most pleased with a quad core 3 GHz machine with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660. For the full 30 FPS panadapter function, you do need a good video card. Get the best you can. The video card is the key to running SSDR, I think. Signal processing happens in the radio, so it really is all about the display/interface. Good luck & ENJOY!!
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    An Intel i3,i5 or i7 will have all the PC processing power you need, but just make sure you do not get a machine that shares the CPU processing for graphics, basically stay away from embedded graphics. Get a machine (or build one) with a dedicated GPU (Nvidia or ATI). Set your budget, and take your pick. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ One of the best value cards at the moment is the ATI Radeon HD 7790 with a Passmark of 3000+ for just around $100 For $200 ish you can get a Passmark of 4600 with the Radeon HD 7950. Aim to spend no less than $100 and you will have a more than adequate GPU.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    George is right, Flex came out a while back and said you need a video card with a passmark rating of 400 or higher. Tim did a write up on this very topic and it should be posted if you search on topics.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm using the GTX660 with a passmark of 4,115 (more than adequate) but one of my main considerations was support for up to 4 monitors. I have 3 monitors set up currently and it performs very well. Here is a good web site for video card comparisons you might find useful. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+660 Regards, Al / NN4ZZ CLICK to enlarge.....
  • Howard K2AQ
    Howard K2AQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Thanks all.
  • Bill Heinzinger
    edited October 2013
    The best thing I ever did...was let Neal Neal Campbell build my machine. Fantastic support, and fantastic computer. my suggestion....get as many big SSD drives as he can fit into it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.