Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need COMP with DIGU/DIGL v 1.05

Dave - WB5NHL
Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
edited September 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR 1.05.beta How do I turn on COMP when ACC is selected?? The only way I can get enough audio drive via USB Signalink is with COMP on. Now SmartSDR thinks it's smarter than I am! ( Flex must be learning from Microsoft, sorry I couldn't resist the dig) BTW, I have already tried all the items with JP3, Windows USB codec volume, etc. Only COMP works and VERY successfully until 1.05 I'm going back 1.0 until I can turn on COMP with ACC selected.

Comments

• Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Dave, I bet you are using WSJT-X v 1.2.1? There is a bug in the Qt Framework that was used to build WSJT-X 1.2.1 (in C++) that causes the "speaker" volume in Windows 7 (and perhaps other versions of Windows) to revert back to 50%, no matter what you set it to for the WSJT-X application. This occurred when Joe Taylor and his team changed the way that audio was handled a few months ago. I have no idea when this bug in Qt Framework will be 'squashed". I too used to set COMP ON and set the slider to the left (0) to achieve additional drive and, as you say, this option is no longer available. If WSJT-X is the only application affected, perhaps you could revert to an earlier version (of WSJT-X). Another possibility (that I have not tried) is to feed the audio through the front panel MIC input and then activate the +20 dB feature. I have been able to achieve approximately 35 watts out without COMP ON which is more than adequate for JT65 and JT9. I have not tested other digital applications such as Fldigi yet. I am using the SignalLink USB sound card (with JP3) like you. Ed, K0KC
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Nope, I'm using Fldigi. While PSK31 might be fine since 35 w is fine for PSK31. However, when using Fldigi in an AFSK for CW operations full power is need ie. COMP on! Yes, I could probably use the mike input but that means not using what the ACC connector was intended for (at least until DAX arrives). I just reverted back to v1.0 and everything is good again (just worked 5J0R on 10m cw with fldigi)
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Dave, I have never worked CW with Fldigi or any other software. I just do it the "old fashioned way" but I am no speed demon. About 90% of my operation is digital modes, primarily JT65 and JT9. I guess Flex will have to tell you if this is a permanent change related to making DIGU and DIGL independent of compression and equalization. By the way, I just tried USB (instead of DIGU) and made sure that EQ was off and the COMP slider was all the way to the left. This gave me much more drive when I activated the COMP button just like v 1.0 behaved. I do not know if my digital signal is distorted under these conditions, but it looks ok. I am using SmartSDR 1.05. Ed, K0KC
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    The reason I like DIGU/DIGL vs USB?LSB is the narrower BWs available. By setting the BW to 600 Hz I can get a very nice copy for CW decoding. With my very poor CW skills I have been able to use the excellent CW decoder in fldigi. Work continues on the decoder and it's getting better regularly
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Dave, I am glad to hear that Fldigi has a good CW decoder...I may give it a try some day soon. I use Fldigi for PSK31 most of the time that I operate that mode (infrequently). By the way, I made a few JT65 and JT9 contacts with USB this afternoon and had no problems, but have moved back to DIGU for now. I may go back to USB if I cannot get enough drive with Fldigi or DM780. Ed, K0KC
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is a jumper setting in the SignalLink to increase the output gain. That is what you need to do. COMP is not enabled in DIGU/DIGL because it adversely effects some digital modes on transmit.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Tim, sorry to be blunt but my original post said I ALREADY have JP3 jumper!!!!
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    So that I'm clear I measured the audio voltage from the Signalink with scope...1.8V unloaded, 1.7v across 600 ohm load Close to specified 2 V p-p into 600 ohms specified by Tigertronics with JP3 installed Connected to Flex 6500 without changing any Signalink settings (COMP off, TX EQ off) via ACC connector Max output power approx 35W!!!!!!!!! Comments Tim
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Could be the digital mode program. I don't have any problem driving the ACC input to full the full input level (0 dB). Bust I am using a Edirol FA-66 as the sound card.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Not sure if I remember correctly but I think I needed to turn on the +20dB booster to get full output. I know it's on the voice settings tab but doesn't that apply to DIG modes as well? 73 Greg
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    If I was using the microphone input then I could use boost but not with the ACC input. I could use the microphone input but that would mean changing cables to change modes. ACC really should do this job as advertised at least until DAX is here in a couple of months.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    "Could be the digital mode program" what does this have to do with it? Of course if you have a different sound card it might work. With fldigi driving the SIgnalink set at max TX audio out (1.7v into 600 ohms) I get 35 watts!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Some digital mode programs have output gain settings. I do not have that particular sound card interface to test
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    fldigi interfaces using Windows PortAudio to the USB Audio codec into the Signalinks build-in sound card. There are no level controls in fldigi. Windows USB Audio codec is set a maximum
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    There is a +/- control for the transmit gain in Fldigi. It is in the lower right hand corner of the main window.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Yes but unfortunately it can't go above 0.0 I am at a complete loss With my TS-570DG the Signalink could easily over drive the xcvr with same setup. I actually had to be careful to keep a good signal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.