Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need a new feature....MAKE THE MON BUTTON flash when not enabled!!!

Bill-W9OL
Bill-W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
It's **** to get old and even dumber than when you were young.....STORY! I spent hours last night and this am trying to figure out what was wrong with my system. Changing com port pairs, checking wiring. Checking the software settings. Finally, spotted that *%$#$ MON button was disabled! Oh well, wasn't any stations I needed to HEAR anyway! Feature request...when the MON button is not enabled, have it blink in YELLOW!
0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm not sure how not having the MON button activated kept you from hearing anyone. MON activates the transmit monitor so that you can hear your own transmitted signal in the headphones (or speakers, if they are not turned up too loud.) Could you elaborate on exactly what was happening? Or were you referring to the "Mute" buttons?
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited June 2020
    on my system, accidentally clicking on the MON button, (turning it from RED to BLACK) disables any cw, rtty, psk, jt sounds I make when transmitting. It does not turn off incoming signals It turns OFF MY MONITOR so I can't hear my CW, RTTY, PSK whatever signal. As I had just changed some transmit com ports for the 6K, I assumed I had mad an error. I MUST monitor my cw or my already crummy fist goes to **** in a hurry. Similar, not hearing the diddles of rtty made me thing I wasn't getting any signal out even though I heard the rig ptt click. But I'm old...so I confuse easily.
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited September 2013
    Bill, I have had the same laps in memory and have on two occasions stopped my TRX Thinking we had some kind of a problem, only to discover the MON was off. 73's
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks. Now I get it. MON of digital modes transmit audio is very helpful. I haven't run any digital on my 6500 yet. I a waiting for the digital audio interface (VAC/DAX) because I am too lazy to make up any more cables! I have my 1500 if I want to do digi modes.... I agree, it would be nice to have MON flash either when on or off. (My preference, as a phone op primarily, would be to have it flash when it is ON.) Either way, Bill, I don't think you will make that mistake more than a couple more times until it becomes the first thing you check! hi hi. I can't count how many times I have called someone with the power turned down to about half a watt, after doing some testing into my small dummy load, and wondered why no one could hear me! Now I have trained myself to look at the power meter when I talk...
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The last thing I need is something either flashing at me when I'm transmitting or flashing at me when I'm receiving. I vote NO on this one.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    To me this would be annoying. A few minutes of training you eyes to check this button will solve your problem.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    A HUGE no here. Please...no constant flashing buttons. Maybe as an option that can be disabled, how about a quick 2 or 3 flashes only or change the color to yellow when PTT is asserted and MON is off. 73 Greg AB7R
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    why stop at just one button :-).. C'Mon guys ..arent there bigger fish to fry? Ive had my share of "DOH" moments also but it didnt happen too many times until I moved on to the next inevitable "DOH" moment. With something like this it would most likely be "why is that button flashing".....
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited June 2019
    Sorry guys, I guess my self-deprecating humor wasn't recognized. I'll refrain from that in the future. But it did take a LONG time for me to figure out why I wasn't hearing my RTTY or CW signal in the speakers. I'll just be a reader.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's OK. Sometimes I think I need this one... ...NEW FEATURE REQUEST... Make this thing read my mind and flash a warning when I am doing something **** because I don't know what I am doing!... After thinking about your post and my previous response, I also came to the conclusion that I don't need any more flashing lights telling me that I am an idiot... This thing is supposed to be idiot proof, but they didn't have me in mind when they said that!
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Bad idea, maybe flashing when it is on, but not off. I prefer no flashing buttons. Surely after one time, you have learned the proper way to do it.. Jim K4JAF
  • W4EG
    W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    NO ...NO ...Heck no flashing lights....
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    keep it up, bill. "i'm gettin paid by the hour and older by the minute" myself... i still want a big red flashing warning YOU'RE STILL SPLIT, YOU IDIOT .... 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.